Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr_Ian

Doom Comic - A Dramatic Rendition

Hi,

The Doom Comic - A Dramatic Rendition

Note: Listen and enjoy. Listen and enjoy to this mp3's sound. This mp3 is huge therefore it has huge sound. Listen and enjoy.

Credits:
Doom Marine - Knuckles
Mixing - Dr_Ian (me)
BGM - Esselfortium aka superloud4 on this forum (hi)

(BTW, yes, it's supposed to be ridiculous)

HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN! ChuchuchaBoogie! Hearing someone actually saying it without cracking into uncontrollable laughter...this was the highlight of my year

Amusing, but also just a little bit disturbing at parts. I'm amazed that anyone would do something like this.

Now all we need is for some closet professional animator to take the Doom comic and turn it into an animated film, mix it with this track, and it'd be the Greatest Doom Experience Ever (outside of the game itself).

Thanks for the comments. I wish they made an issue number two of the doom comic. After reading the first issue a sickening hundred odd times whilst making this I realised that a second issue could probably be even better. Maybe he could get the rocket launcher and face the mancubus (who has fat guts) or the arch vile (who has thin guts) or the revenant (who has no guts).

BTW some oddities you might not notice without reading it a million times:

1. You can see the berserk pack on page 1.

2. On page 4 it is entirely illogical the order in which the panels go. According to logic the continuity is wrong (he starts the chainsaw after running up to them with it turned on).

3. He gets the super shotgun from a zombie. It's more like a 1.5* shotgun though by the way it's drawn.

4. The first panel of page 7 is the most like the game if you take it at face value.

5. From page 9 onwards, the comic should be called "zDoom" because there are slopes on the floors and ceiling. Also on this page, he fails to understand a door for the second time.

6. On page 10 he thinks 'OOOF' then says it.

7. Page 12 has the worst continuity ever.
First panel: The plasma rifle is right in front of him in front of some nukage (no environmentalist rant? :( also he starts coming out with colloquialisms from Newcastle in England?!??)
Second panel: It's on a brown shelf.
Third panel: The marine can jump (zdoom) and behind the cacodemon at the back, there is a 3d style shelf (quake engine?!)
Fourth panel: The shelf dissappears again and the room is now green. WTF disco.

8. On page 16, he thinks to himself 'Scant seconds later'. I don't know if they intended that to be a story text instead of a thinking box, but they put it in a thinking box anyway. I guess he is commentating on his very interesting life.

9. The Cyberdemon's legs have a cloaking device in the last panel.

I can't do flash to save myself and neither can Knuckles but the flash thing did spring in to my head when we were working on it. So yeah if someone wants to do an FLCL style comic-collage they should definitely go for it because it would be excellent.

BTW Knuckles broke his voice doing this and now permenantly sounds like that.

That .. was scary.

Also you missed something. On page 12, at first it's actually a rocket launcher! It changes to a plasma gun in the next panel.

Pure fun, very profesional (both the voice and fx placement). I laughted a lot while listening. How many gamers comunity have stuff like this? Great work.

udderdude said:

Also you missed something. On page 12, at first it's actually a rocket launcher! It changes to a plasma gun in the next panel.

Another great point. I guess they couldn't decide whether it was a rocket launcher or a plasma rifle, which is probably why it fires some sort of cross between plasma and explosions (it does go boom).

Also thanks for saying it's professional, Vegeta. I have had no training though, just a bit of experience! Most of the great sound is due to Esselfortium's great BGM remasters. The E1M8 one in particular is excellent. It makes the totally unexciting cyberdemon fight in the comic seem almost pretty exciting.

I shed a tear whenever I hear the doom marine say that in his head he hears something that sounds like angels. Such a beautiful line (btw sarcasm).

So this is an audio version of the comic, eh? I wonder if anyone local has that stashed somewhere in the back corner; wouldn't that be a find . . .

God, this was amazing. My stomach hurts, I laughed so hard. Now, to locate this Esselfortium's BGM remixes . . .

I like how the finished version of this turned out. Very nice job with teh voice acting and mixing and all.

Dr_Ian said:

Most of the great sound is due to Esselfortium's great BGM remasters. The E1M8 one in particular is excellent. It makes the totally unexciting cyberdemon fight in the comic seem almost pretty exciting.

You rock. :D

Guardian said:

Now, to locate this Esselfortium's BGM remixes . . .

There's a thread for them somewhere around here...keep in mind that a lot of them that are online aren't quite perfected yet. e2m1, I'm looking in your direction here. Hope you enjoy them anyway though :)

Mike

I know the topic's only a little bit downstairs, but the great remasters by esselfortium are here.
The ones used in the project were obviously e1m1, e1m4, d_victor, e3m1 and e1m8 (I mention this incase someone here has never played doom??).

Another mistake: His berserker pack ran out. I mean if it was a timed powerup, why would he spend so long talking to himself about how bad he was? And perhaps you can't just take a cyberdemon out with one punch with a berserker pack? Despite the fact a single BFG shot took it out.

In issue #2 I imagine they would trap a cyberdemon in an illusiopit. The doom marine, interested in eating some spaghetti has to search for the 'biggest, baddest cutlery ever'. First he finds a teaspoon, and after using that to defeat some soup, he finds chopsticks or a butter knife or something. By the end of the comic, he finds a load of italians having a fistfight in the street and manages to get the baddest piece of cutlery ever which he uses to return and defeat the spaghetti. The highlight of this issue would be when he scales a 40 foot wall using a potato peeler and then cries from the rooftops about the lack of recycled polythene. That is, I imagine, how it would play out.

Uhh.. dunno why I typed that really.

Hahaha, beautiful, just beautiful.

Just one thing though, I was thinking how much more badass it would've sounded if the voice had been done by someone a bit...older? Or maybe he actually is around his 30's and that's just how his voice sounds, I wouldn't know....either way, it sounded a bit like a teen to me.

A minor nitpick on a fantastic overall performance though. Hurrah! The most amusing piece of audio I've heard all week.

Dr_Ian said:

Another mistake: His berserker pack ran out. I mean if it was a timed powerup, why would he spend so long talking to himself about how bad he was? And perhaps you can't just take a cyberdemon out with one punch with a berserker pack? Despite the fact a single BFG shot took it out.

You are obviously not familiar with the logic in the Doom Comic. Berserker packs ONLY run out when you use it on a stationary Cyberdemon and the BFG will kill anything in one shot with it's crotch-targeting power.

BTW Knuckles is 18 but he can drive which is quite adult. If you think about it, his age is roughly the combined mental age of all the people who made the comic. The acting is pretty bad though. How can you say things like "You are huge! That means you have huge guts!" in a way which portrays the (non-existant) character of the space marine?

BTW Plasma goes ZZAKKKK and chaingun goes BUDDA BUDDA.

superloud4 said:

There's a thread for them somewhere around here...keep in mind that a lot of them that are online aren't quite perfected yet. e2m1, I'm looking in your direction here. Hope you enjoy them anyway though :)

Mike [/B]

Way I see it, the reason I brought up the remixes was so I could find them. ;) So, at the very least, I'll enjoy those that were showcased in the background of this comic rendition. :)

Dr_Ian said:

I know the topic's only a little bit downstairs, but the great remasters by esselfortium are here.

Oh, hell yeah. Thanks for the link!
[quote]Dr_Ian said:
The doom marine, interested in eating some spaghetti has to search for the 'biggest, baddest cutlery ever'.
[quote]
Once, a loong time ago, some computer game company published a game with Jim Henson's Muppets. It was supposed to be just a load of arcade games and such, but apparently the CD explodes into teeny-tiny bits whike in your drive and you have to resuce the Muppets by playing the fragmented arcade games.

One of the arcade games was Kitchen of DOOM. You played the Swedish Chef. The title screen look exactly like that of DOOM II's, except there was a huge Muppet carrot and his muppet veggie minions in place of the Cyberdemon, and the Swedish Chef was our DOOMHero, wielding -- I think it was an egg-beater. After you "killed" the veggie enemies, they turned into things you could eat, which would increase your health points.

I got a kikc out of playing that arcade game.