Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fanatic

Map Review Site

I have a BETA version of a new plugin for handling map reviews, which will handle pretty much any game (it's pretty generic).

If anyone wants to test it and give me some feedback, let me know.

You'll have to login to the site (or create an account and login), then you can upload as many maps as you want for any game (DOOM 1/2, Quake, Half Life, whatever you want), then others can review your maps and rate them. Fairly typical I guess. :)

It's for Internet Explorer only (for now).

Might I point out that it also says "(for now)", which assumes that it may very well eventually work in other browsers.

AgentSpork said:

Might I point out that it also says "(for now)", which assumes that it may very well eventually work in other browsers.

Sadly, the response I expected to get was just what you see above.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious though. :)

Typical of the "I hate anything Microsoft" and "IE sucks" crowd. And naturally not one reply of interest. :)

heh

Oh yes, because the problem I wanted to point out to you wasn't at all the fact that you wanted people to try it out but also only bothered to make it work in ONE FUCKING BROWSER.

Doesn't matter if it's e.g. IE, Opera or Firefox, but if it only works in one browser, it's lousy design, and you lose. Thanks for completely missing my point.

EDIT: BTW, the "(for now)" part is completely irrelevant (and I omitted it deliberately) because you chose to announce the project NOW and not when (or if) you design correctly.

Also, I hate browser wars, don't turn this into an IE vs Firefox thing; every site should be designed so that it will work with every browser compliant with international standards.

Kristian Ronge said:

Oh yes, because the problem I wanted to point out to you wasn't at all the fact that you wanted people to try it out but also only bothered to make it work in ONE FUCKING BROWSER.

Doesn't matter if it's e.g. IE, Opera or Firefox, but if it only works in one browser, it's lousy design, and you lose. Thanks for completely missing my point.

EDIT: BTW, the "(for now)" part is completely irrelevant (and I omitted it deliberately) because you chose to announce the project NOW and not when (or if) you design correctly.

Also, I hate browser wars, don't turn this into an IE vs Firefox thing; every site should be designed so that it will work with every browser compliant with international standards.

I didn't design it specifically for Internet Explorer, I designed it using normal HTML and CSS that works back as far as IE 4. It's not my fault that the latest Firefox can't handle that. And I haven't taken the time/wasted the time it takes to make it work on that sloppy browser (or others).

So FU.

Fanatic said:
I didn't design it specifically for Internet Explorer, I designed it using normal HTML and CSS that works back as far as IE 4.

"Normal"? Love that wording. Have you read up on international CSS standards, and more specifically how different browsers comply to those standards (for example, at http://www.w3.org/ or http://www.quirksmode.org/css/)? Even though you claim you didn't specifically design it for IE, you may inadvertently have done so: IE doesn't have an exemplary track record when it comes to compatibility with standards.

Test at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ and if it comes out a-okay, then you're doing well. If not, implement changes so that it does.

Kristian Ronge said:

"Normal"? Love that wording. Have you read up on international CSS standards, and more specifically how different browsers comply to those standards (for example, at http://www.w3.org/ or http://www.quirksmode.org/css/)? Even though you claim you didn't specifically design it for IE, you may inadvertently have done so: IE doesn't have an exemplary track record when it comes to compatibility with standards.

Test at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ and if it comes out a-okay, then you're doing well. If not, implement changes so that it does.

That was I hear people say that hate IE, but I never hear it from those that do web design for a living. We all hate non-IE browsers, especially in the corporate world.

As far as I can tell, it's the non-IE browsers that aren't good with CSS standards. Ever since NS 4 came out, that's when it fell apart IMO.

Nonetheless, the point is that I'm making a site for free where people can upload maps and get feedback and ratings, which is especially useful for those without their own webservers (e.g. I'm giving up my bandwidth for free to you to use for your maps).

If you don't use IE for whatever reason, then this does not apply to you.

If you use IE and are interested in what I'm offering for free, then I'd like to hear from you.

When people gripe about not writing something for Firefox like this, it does not encourage me to spend more of my time to make my site work with non-IE browsers. I'm doing this for fun, and this complaining is ruining the fun.

So lighten up please.

Fanatic said:
As far as I can tell, it's the non-IE browsers that aren't good with CSS standards. Ever since NS 4 came out, that's when it fell apart IMO.

Heh, Netscape 4.x CSS support was terrible, at best. :-)

And IE did have good CSS compliance back in 1999, but since then IE has fallen behind. Browsers like Mozilla and Opera have excellent CSS support. The reason why it may seem like those browsers aren't good with CSS is because IE made its own "standards". No wonder they behave so differently with the same CSS code, then. ;-)

Nonetheless, the point is that I'm making a site for free where people can upload maps and get feedback and ratings, which is especially useful for those without their own webservers (e.g. I'm giving up my bandwidth for free to you to use for your maps).

Yes, it *is* a nice effort. It would be even nicer (and it wouldn't take a lot of extra work) if it worked for ALL browsers that support CSS, which was kind of my point to begin with. But it's your project, you do what you want with it.

So lighten up please.

Lighten up? I seem to remember you being the one who said "So FU". :-/

But hey, let's just call it a day because this isn't going anywhere productive.

I only see options to delete my own posts. Any admin options to delete or hell the post require admin access.

If anyone could just purge this thread, that would make my day.

I just succesfully closed and opened back a random thread of mine, so I see no reason why you couldn't do this. But why?

Donce said:

I just succesfully closed and opened back a random thread of mine, so I see no reason why you couldn't do this. But why?

How did you do it?

I don't see any options for deleting or closing a thread.