Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoDoomer

Side-Scrolling Doom

This was just a thought.

Since Doom wasn't really meant to be played on a system like the SNES, I thought it should have been a Side-Scrolling Shooter. Anyone agree?

I had once a dream about Abuse having a Doom monster. I had killed the Abuse endbosses, then the ground under my feet was destroyed, I fell. I went into a teleport, I was upside down. Jumped again through the hole. In the endboss room ceiling I located a hallway. I followed this and there was one cacodemon floating. I shot it with my laser and I used a switch and the dream switched too...

That mellow page screenshots and idea looks just about what I had there above...

I've some couple times played some Doom2D, some russian Doom platform game...

SNES Doom was the original obsession for me! I still think it oozes with atmosphere. It has a certain feel to it that no source port can capture...I think it's the chunkiness, or maybe having the monsters constantly watching you. Coupled with the slow controls, it's like controlling some sort of martian mech from my SNES.

...whoa, tangent. Anyways, there's nothing wrong with SNES Doom! (I don't actually think you were getting at that, but I just wanted to have my voice heard.)

TheHighestTree said:

SNES Doom was the original obsession for me! I still think it oozes with atmosphere. It has a certain feel to it that no source port can capture...I think it's the chunkiness, or maybe having the monsters constantly watching you. Coupled with the slow controls, it's like controlling some sort of martian mech from my SNES.

...whoa, tangent. Anyways, there's nothing wrong with SNES Doom!

There's a SNES Doom mod for ZDoom out there, btw. Dunno if it ever got finished, but it made some good progress.

I tried Codename Gordon (the HL2 side-scroller) last year and thought:

Wouldn't it be great to play a DooM³ (or other DooM) game with the same concepts?

I don't know where I got it from, but I have this russian (I think) dos doom2d. it's pretty crappy though. after about a minute your life drains and you die for some reason.

Doom2D was supposedly the best ever made, I agree with VileSlay here, it really was a piece of shit, it's only attractiveness being the fact that some of the maps are recognizable.