Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
diluted

doom sidescroller

does any one know what happened to that doom sidescroller thing that was in work a while ago .... it like dissapeared

Guest Fanatic

The one Captain Mellow was making? Probably got put to pasture...

Hmmmm . . . . no, not yet. I am still tinkering with the design doc, which is becoming quite involved. I do want to maybe do a level editor first to allow for other people to help out with level creation. If I do this, how I write the engine would be affected.

Real life sometimes monopolizes my time. I may have to scrap the LMP player (in which there doesn't seem to be much interest anyway) in order to focus more on the scroller with what little disposable time I have these days.

thats cool....cuz i thought it was a cool idea

and if u do do a level editor. let me know. ill see what i can do for u for the levels and stuff....id luv to help out

Got some ideas for the editor in my head:

1) Load desired graphic for background. You would use a paint program to do the bg.

2) Place collision blocks onto the bg graphic. You would line them up with the ledges etc. which you painted on the bg graphic. These collision blocks would turn invisible in-game.

3) When you save the map, the editor counts the collision blocks & writes their xy pos to a text file. Then the bg graphic & the text file get packed together & compressed.

That's what I have so far. Now to start "coding". ;-)

Okay, this is what's currently working in the Yet Unnamed Doom Game editor:

1) You can load a background graphic using a standard windows program file selector. It gets resized to the level size (1280x1024). Don't worry, the level is bigger than the editor or game window. You can scroll around using the arrow keys. If you get to the edge & keep scrolling another second or two, you wrap to the other side of the level.

2) Right click to toggle the pointer to a block or pointer. When it is a block, you can place blocks wherever you want with a single left click. When it is a pointer, you can click on a block to remove it.

3) You can save the map to a file that you name. The map won't be packed like originally planned. Rather, it is mapname.txt. It's pretty simple, just a total number of the blocks, & then the individual xypos of each block. The background picture should probably be bg.bmp (keep in its own dir), or maybe mapname.bmp (can share dir w/ other maps).

Next on the agenda:

1) Map loading. This will be pretty easy, & maybe w/ the July 4th holiday coming up, I can get it done.

2) Other shaped blocks

3) items

4) perhaps a toolbar to let you select from this rapidly expanding inventory of map items. Or maybe just another pulldown menu.

Real life has kept me really busy. The July 4th holiday was booked solid, as have the past few weekends. Hopefully, things will slow down this week, & I can do some more work.