Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BiteToBreakSkin

Why doesn't ID revisit Hexen?

I want everyone's opinion. I've seen the Doom 3 hexen mod, and it looks frikkin sweet, but I wanna know: Why hasn't Id themselves revisited the series? I would be first in line to buy Hexen 3 if it ever came out. I know doom is all about Blowing shit up, but I absolutely loved the exploration and puzzle aspects of hexen. I don't know, I guess I might be asking too much from a company that blew up from a game that was all about killing shit and causing mass hysteria. By no means am I putting down Doom, I love it, I just don't get why ID wouldn't go back to the series.

Er. It is not a game either owned nor made by id.
Raven made hexen.
Raven licensed the doom engine from id.
It is therefore a question of whether Raven will continue the series.
My guess is no.

Hexen 2 is an awesome game. I only have the demo, but it's awesome, and I plan to buy it sometime soon.
EDIT: Oops, forgot to put in the point of my post heh.
Why don't you try looking for pwads for Hexen? Or map packs for Hexen 2?
I have Resurrection of Chaos and Wolfen for Hexen, and they're both AWESOME.

since the two sequels sucked (Hr2 and Hx2) they thought it'd be best to not touch the franchises again, especially with the absence of their executive producer (John Romero)

gargoylol said:

since the two sequels sucked (Hr2 and Hx2) they thought it'd be best to not touch the franchises again, especially with the absence of their executive producer (John Romero)

Wow, did you find Hexen 2 that bad? It was a bit buggy, especially on XP, but I liked it. Wasn't as good as the first, but I liked it. And I never realized Hexen was a raven game, I just thought they coproduced it with Id or something to that effect.

Bloodshedder said:

um, Quake 4 maybe?

Ah, yeah, Quake 4.

Sorry, I currently have MGS-itis and it is deleting selected parts of my memory, paticularly the parts after Raven did the Q3-engine Jedi Knight games.

Huh. I thought Heretic 2 and Hexen 2 weren't too bad. But yeah, the original Heretic and Hexen are FAR better.

I'd love to see a Heretic or Hexen 3 one of these days. Imagine what those games could be like with the power of the Doom3 engine.

Infurnus said:

Hexen 2 is an awesome game. I only have the demo, but it's awesome, and I plan to buy it sometime soon.

Good game, but you're going to hate this:

I fucking hated the Egypt-inspired land because of that puzzle and another one. It's like, right after you passed through that Aztec place, they had to ramp up the difficulty of the puzzles to an impossible level. Because of that, I never really finished the game. Still, Hexen 2 was a pretty damn good game. I liked it just as much as Hexen, if not more so in some ways. It definitely was more inspired and had way more interesting locales and puzzles.

As for Heretic 2, I thought it was great. It wasn't as good as the original, but it was really fun and beautiful in some spots.

The Egypt hub makes baby Jesus cry. But other than that, Hexen 2 is a great game, I loved it.

Ichor said:

Good game, but you're going to hate this:

(image)

*Shudder*

Actually, I spent more time locating the shovel in the first hub, but
I'll say that the egyptian button-puzzle was so frustrating that it's beyond me why the developers decided to keep it for the final product.

Other than that, excellent game. Much better than both Quake games, IMHO :) Puzzles rule!

I wouldn't have minded that Egyptian button puzzle if it actually worked properly, as the clues were laid out in a different part of the hub. It's much like the final room of Hexen 1's fourth hub that never likes to cooperate, though that example is more extreme in that you can't progress by trying over and over again. If that room decides it doesn't like you, only a backup save or noclipping will save you.

Also, if you can manage to find Portal of Praevus (the expansion to Hexen 2), get it too. You'll get to play with a new class, drool over the Tempest Staff, and enjoy a bunch of new maps in two new hubs (a fairly small Blackmarsh type and a huge Tibetan one).

Infurnus said:

Uh, so true ! I loved Hexen2 back in those days...
You just make me wanting to play it again :P
It think it has a nice mix of interesting puzzles, fast action and somewhat unique ideas.
If you like the demo i can only recommend the fullversion !

Hexen II is mostly "lol puzzles puzzles go across 3 maps to get item and 3 maps to bring item here oh no a monster he's dead now. continue getting item to goal"

really lacks action, gargoyles (what the hell is hexen if it has no gargoyles) and depth.

multiplayer is the only redeeming value of it for me, but it can be unbalanced

gargoylol said:

really lacks action, gargoyles (what the hell is hexen if it has no gargoyles) and depth.

Hexen2 doesn´t lack depth in general (I really liked all the puzzles, well integrated), but it sure lacks some depth in combat, if that´s what you mean. The enemies weren´t as cleverly designed as in Q1 or the old Heretic and Hexen, and they weren´t mixed enough. Most time you were up against only one or two types of enemy at a time, which becomes boring soon.

gargoylol said:

What are you talking about? Gargoyles are prevalent in Hexen 2. They even come in two types.. (fire and ice)

Play the game before making up an opinion.

But those had different attack schemes, much faster then the gargoyles in Heretic, and they weren´t as common... also, aren´t they called imps in Hexen2?

And in Hexen 1 they're called "Afrit", not "Gargoyle".. hardly the point. They're there and are pretty damn common if you play through all the hubs.

By constitution Heretic's Gargoyles are imps (little red demons) and Hexen's Afrit (jinns or genies) are gargoyles (they don't spout water, but at least they can appear as statuettes.)

I'm pretty sure Heretic's aren't officially called imps to not step on the name used for DOOM's monsters.

Heretic's manual called them gargoyles. They had real AI.

Hexen called them Afrits in the manual, however it says they are bigger cousins of gargoyles, and also they can be a stone ball and get triggered to light on fire and wake up

Hexen II just calls them imps and makes no reference to gargoyle, plus they're super skinny unlike the others and have chibi porportions, so i really disagree that this would be a gargoyle.

and finally Heretic II just has very reptilian not-feminine-at-all Harpies.

Also in another way, Heretic II and Hexen II lacks gargoyle statues as well. Heretic and Hexen had alot of them (hexen's was sexier as they had a wanking position with their hands)