Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VileSlay

chainlink fence?

Recommended Posts

I need a chainlink fence texture for my level. is there one floating around for free use? I remember seeing one a long time ago in a wad I had on my old comp, so thats gone. if no one is aware of one I'll try to make my own. if thats the case what do I need to know to make one, seeing as how I've never made my own textures before. I'm using psp7 as my art editor.

Share this post


Link to post
VileSlay said:

I need a chainlink fence texture for my level. is there one floating around for free use?

Sure - XTHEATERIII, but if you are afraid of a bit of nudity don't download it :)

The chain link fence I borrowed from Nigel Rowand I think. The texture and patch name are both called FENCE3.

sbsoftware.com and go to the downloads page.

Share this post


Link to post

There is one in Freedoom.
Freedoom actually has some really nice textures, some I think are better then the Doom ones. Though I can't say much for the sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
deep said:

Sure - XTHEATERIII, but if you are afraid of a bit of nudity don't download it :)

The chain link fence I borrowed from Nigel Rowand I think. The texture and patch name are both called FENCE3.

sbsoftware.com and go to the downloads page.


I just checked it out and then I checked njtrain and those fences are different. but I now have three different fences to pick from. I think I'm gonna try to modify one of them to add razor wire to the top. does the texture have to be 128 high or could I make it taller?

Share this post


Link to post
VileSlay said:

I just checked it out and then I checked njtrain and those fences are different. but I now have three different fences to pick from. I think I'm gonna try to modify one of them to add razor wire to the top. does the texture have to be 128 high or could I make it taller?

Sorry, checked some more and they are from Darkhour by Rex Claussen. I was looking for fence stuff as you and Enjay was the one I recalled 1st. There's some other cool stuff in there too.

Assuming we are talking about ports here, the height depends on the port you are using. For ZDOOM+derivatives and RISEN3D the limit is 2048. The level I pointed you to has some very tall textures. Some examples are ALICIA12 (602) and ANGELA (886).

In addition for ports that support PNGs a higher size then that may also work. You may have to do some additional work though depending on the port as to how it's going to display - resized to ?

Typically the limit for older port code is 508 (or 509? too lazy to figure it out atm, but close enough :)

I'm also assuming here you are using it for a midtexture.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm using zdoom to build this level. I was originally gonna use it for a perimeter fence for a base so I was thinking twice the height. I decided I'm just gonna build a nice fortress-style wall with guard towers and use the fence for the fuel depot of the motor pool so I don't have to make it much taller.

BTW, that XTHEATERIII wad is pretty wild. I had a copy a few years ago and thats where I saw the chainlink fence. kinda funny, huh. I had lost it, as well as many other wads when my comp went to shit last year. I got a bunch of the ones I could remember back, but I forgot about that one. so I give you double thanks for stepping up with the texture and reminding me about your level.

Share this post


Link to post

poor man's "unique to wad" fence:
get a royalty free pic of a fence off google. copy one "link".
resize it to something like 4/4 or 8/8. clean it up, put cyan in the invisible parts. copy your image to clipboard. select new image, say 64/128. paste each link to fit the image.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×