Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkArchon

Unreliable Undo's

If you copy something from one WAD to another and then undo it. The WAD which you copied to get's made into the WAD the data was copied from which means the user loses the copied to WAD.

I have noticed this and wasn't able to verbalize exactly what was going on, I lost my wad twice this way. Thank goodness for wad backups.

When I read what you said, I thought, 'ah, this'll be an easy bug to fix.' However, I looked at the code and when the user closes a file, or opens a new one, Undo is properly reset.

I've tried this just now, and could not reproduce the error. Here's what I did:
- Opened WAD #1
- Selected a bunch of entries
- Edit|Copy
- Opened WAD #2
- Edit|Paste
So far so good.
- Undo (Paste ### entries)
WAD #2 is back to normal.

Did you do something different?

I'm sorry, I didn't get that... Could you write it down step-by-step (like I did above) how to reproduce this bug? It would be great help to find the problem.

- Opened WAD #1
- Selected a bunch of entries
- Edit|Copy
- Selected another bunch bunch of entries
- Edit|Copy
- Opened WAD #2
- Edit|Paste
So far so good.
- Undo (Paste ### entries)
WAD #2 becomes an old version of WAD #1

Umm, it doesn't to that for me... It's fine with multiple copies. Are you sure you're using the latest version?

Two things to check:
- Do you have "Cut and Copy commands empty clipboard first" checked under options? (I don't.)
- Right after you open WAD #2, if you go to the Edit menu, Undo is disabled, right? (Which means, there's nothing to undo yet, so your Paste will be the first command performed, so the Undo will save a backup of THIS wad, that is WAD #2...)

Also, can anyone else reproduce this problem?

Csabo said:

Two things to check:
- Do you have "Cut and Copy commands empty clipboard first" checked under options? (I don't.)

I don't have it on.

- Right after you open WAD #2, if you go to the Edit menu, Undo is disabled, right? (Which means, there's nothing to undo yet, so your Paste will be the first command performed, so the Undo will save a backup of THIS wad, that is WAD #2...)

It's disabled in the latest one. (21/8/05) but in the last on I had before my HD was reformatted (23/07, IIRC) I don't think it was. Maybe it was the source of the problem.

[...] was the source of the problem.
So does that mean it no longer happens, problem solved?

Well this just happened to me:

Loaded entries into wad 1.
Opened wad 2.
Did a series of colour remaps, saving the changes to the lump several times.
Undid all the colour remaps in wad 2.
Undid the entry loads in wad 1.

Wad 2 was overwritten and is now wad 1.

I have no idea where the bug could be... I can't reproduce it readily. When you open a new WAD, the Undo is always reset. Maybe one of your files is read-only?

If you get to a point that you can always reproduce it with a number of steps, email me the WAD and tell me what to do to get the bug. That's about the only way I'll be able to find it.