Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bejiitas_wrath

New modification of Dosdoom.

I have news that I am working on a modification of Dosdoom for Linux. I have included all of the features from dosdoom v0.64 into v0.61 including the pulsating crosshair and new cheats. I have also added support for loading the freedoom wadfile with the -freedoom parameter, but I need help with the sound support under Linux.

http://bejiitas_wrath.tripod.com/doomstuff/dosdoom.tar.bz2

I am reworking and improving this game, ince doomworld only has the original version for download and that version lacks the features of the v0.64 release.

I am also adding support for the Boom source port, and I need more information about how to add the support for the generalised sector and linedef features.

Thanks.

EDGE was based on DosDoom, so for sound have a look in the 1.27 source package (http://edge.sourceforge.net) specifically: linux/is_sdl.c (SDL sound, assumes you are using SDL for video too), or linux/is_oss.c (accesses the /dev/dsp device directly).

For boom generalised types, take a look at ddf_boom.c in the same package (newer versions may have some fixes, but they are also C++). The code converts the boom types directly into DDF structures.

I have SDL-1.2.8 so I should be able to get that working easily. I would prefer to use SDL as I happen to like that library for the ease of use. And it would be a lot better than using the soundserver binary.

I actually removed all of the soundserver code and now the game will run very fast without using -nosound. And it runs in 16bit color with Allegro video. I have added the code from the lxdoom-1.4.4 source for the tntem cheat, but that code was from dosdoom originally. I hope that was OK. I have given full credits in the source comments anyway.

And my version still includes the human madness & human explodings that were removed in the 0.64 release.

Btw, where can I download any newer versions of dosdoom newer than 0.61 ?

Thanks btw, I am making this as a community project and I want to make the best version of dosdoom yet.

I thought DosDoom eventually changed its name to EDGE for the 1.24 release (or earlier?)...mostly because of the fact that it was no longer exclusively for DOS.

The last source release of DosDoom that I know about is 0.64. That was before I joined.

my version still includes the human madness

That would make DarkKnight smile.

@Wildweasel: yeah, the name change to EDGE was mainly because 'DOS' wasn't very relevant any more. Though it was decided a while before 1.24 was released (the version numbers go way back to 1.00, if not earlier, so there were lots of changes before 1.24 came out).

Some history...

EDGE Release Schedule
---------------------

(The credits are always given to the EDGE Team, but each release specifies the main developers of each release. I've checked the docs for these although my memory doesn't serve well here)

Initial development started 18th Sept 1999.

1.22 - 3rd April 2000 - Andrew Apted/Andy Baker/Erik Sandberg/Kester Maddock

1.23 - 10th April 2000 - Andrew Apted/Andy Baker/Erik Sandberg

1.24 - 19th June 2000 - Andrew Apted/Andy Baker/Erik Sandberg

1.25 - 19th February 2001 - Andrew Apted/Andy Baker/David Leatherdale

1.26 - 17th August 2001 - Andrew Apted

1.27 - 12th November 2001 - Andrew Apted

1.28 - 24th May 2004 - Andrew Apted/Andy Baker

Special mention should be made to Marc A. Pullen for his continued support role in the project.

The EDGE Project was started as a multiplatform Doom style Engine. The reasons for starting it were simply that we wanted to build an engine which you can build a game with and also that the "Doom on steroids" source port was being handled adequately by the other ports more than at the time. This continues to be the case.

DOSDoom Notes
-------------

The last version of DOSDoom that Chi Hoang worked was 0.63.

Versions 0.64 -> 0.653 were released by Andy Baker/Erik Sandberg/Kester Maddock/Martin Howe/John Cole and David Leatherdale.

Ajapted said:
@Wildweasel: yeah, the name change to EDGE was mainly because 'DOS' wasn't very relevant any more. Though it was decided a while before 1.24 was released (the version numbers go way back to 1.00, if not earlier, so there were lots of changes before 1.24 came out). [/B]

EDGE was taken from the last version of the DOSDoom code, but we wanted to move away from the DOSDoom label and have a name which represented what EDGE eventually became. Human Madness & Human Explosions were entertaining little tweaks/hacks, but we've very Doom centric and we wanted something people could build TCs from. Hence such odd tweaks were stripped out. (But Its quite novel that someone thought to revive it).