Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

EDGE 1.29 RC3 is out!

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2232&package_id=139165&release_id=358440

As usual we're very interested in hearing about any bugs you come across (especially if it crashes on exiting).

If you do get any bugs we would be greatful if you could send us:

1. dxdiag.txt
-----------
this is generated by going to Start->Run and typing "dxdiag". When the screen finishes loading then hit that "save information" button and save the dxdiag.txt file somewhere.

2. edge.log
------------
In the directory where you have unzipped EDGE you will have an "edge.log": send us that too.

3. enhanced edge.log (optional)
---------------------
If you're up for it, you could also call EDGE using the command "-DEBUGFILE C:\RC3Debug.txt" and then send us the file. This has more info than the normal EDGE-LOG file, and in your case it will be more useful to us.

4. description of bug
-----------------------
with as much detail as possible about how to cause it, what exactly happens etc.

We'd be really grateful if you could take a few minutes to send us this info. My email is firstgen-AT-gmail.com (replacing "-AT-" with "@")

Here's a summary of changes in RC#3 since RC#2. (I may have missed some bug fixes). More details are in the 1.29 changelog.

Bugs:
- crash bug when IDCLEVing fixed.
- fixed spawning of Voodoo dolls.
- bug with platform sounds (going forever) fixed.
- some continuous floors had wrong heights.

Features:
- choice of PNG or JPEG for screenshots.
- correct map names for TNT Evilution and Plutonia Experiment.
- detects and repairs TNT's MAP31 bug (missing yellow key).
- number of RTS tip slots increased to 45.
- RTS start_map now accepts "ALL" keyword.

So, how's this release running for you folks?

Anyone getting any crashes/errors?

Well, it still über locks up my computer whenever the hell it feels like it, so I'm avoiding it.

Otherwise, it would be pretty awesome.

Bashe said:

Well, it still über locks up my computer whenever the hell it feels like it, so I'm avoiding it.

Otherwise, it would be pretty awesome.

Interesting. I would appreciate you making the effort of sending as a dxdiag.txt (plus everything else Lobo mentions) to us. I'm fairly convinced everything now is a driver issue, but no doubt I'll get proved wrong.

(The rule being about crash/hand-alive bugs is: tell us about and will try to fix it, else it would seem rude of you to complain behind our backs).

Scuba Steve said:

So is this release incompatible with all previous releases again?

No. A lot of bug-fixes and the introduction of an OpenAL sound system. Windozes users may find they need to tweak their configs as we changed to using SDL for the backend.

Scuba Steve said:

So is this release incompatible with all previous releases again?

This is the most compatible release ever. For existing projects, everything in DDF and RTS should work the same as in 1.28a. Perhaps a few minor things don't work the same, inevitable with so many code changes. Savegames from 1.28a (maybe even 1.27) should work too.

DarkknightXC said:

Interesting. I would appreciate you making the effort of sending as a dxdiag.txt (plus everything else Lobo mentions) to us. I'm fairly convinced everything now is a driver issue, but no doubt I'll get proved wrong.

Well, I can tell you this now:
When I load up EDGE occasionally, I get the "initializing" screen, and the bar fills in a little bit, and it freezes COMPLETELY. Nothing can reverse it once it's happen, so I have to cut the power.

Bashe said:

Well, I can tell you this now:
When I load up EDGE occasionally, I get the "initializing" screen, and the bar fills in a little bit, and it freezes COMPLETELY. Nothing can reverse it once it's happen, so I have to cut the power.

Unfortunately, That doesn't tell me very much. If you get that EDGE.LOG and DxDiag.txt sent to darkknight{at}users.sourceforge.net. I'll look at it further. The purpose is simple, I will then check the drivers you have are the most uptodate and also what EDGE is reporting them as.

Thanks for sending us the info Bashe.

Just one quick question: I noticed that you had run EDGE passing in doomoltn.wad so just to be sure I want to ask you, Did you get EDGE to run on it's own? (i.e. without any external pwads being passed in)