Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Corrupted Marine

Technical Darkness [new project]

not complex to me, but sausage is a newb to the zdoom functions, so it could be a little complictated for him.

for doom.exe, you simply put the door tag on the sector, but on zdoom, you tag it, the you have several different door effects to choose from, then you put the opening speeds and the closing delay variables on the door, then you put the reusable or non reusable tag on the door, etc...

you see, theres a few differences with zdoom.

i'll try this thing out later today :D

when you say i am a newb.. does this mean zdoom [doom in doom format] isn't proper zdoom mapping then?

i have it working [ doom in hexen format ]

it has even more stuff!!

thank you

- sausage

p.s

i love the friendly attribute so the monster kills the monsters for you!

sorry for the double post!

i will soon as i can only map this one during the week and go on the net at the weekend :(

but i will send a couple of in game screenies to you during the week in a pm :D

- sausage

i have to restart the map because if you start it in doom in doom format you cannot open it in doom in hexen format

so i'll restart it

- sausage

steps:
1.open your map

2.select Edit/Map Options...

3.in the configuration box, simply choose (doom in hexen format)

5.you may have to go back and change some line types, but it should be ok to work with. better than starting over.

i have also learned to script some stuff and have learnt some things whaen using doom in hexen format.
i hate wind though. i like the way you can make it (if a monster is killed, open door sector tag: 10) for example :D
thank you for now i shall muck around scripting.

- sausage

many new features becoming available on this project.
there was a VERY CRAPPY DEMO released to demonstrate the frames of the stubby shotgun. also a few different guns were added to the game.

you can go here to download the demo:
http://www.midsouth.com/~bigdogd/test.wad

there are some other screens at zdoom.org also along with an overall introduction on the story and game features.

how are the cutscenes coming on corrupt?

- sausage

p.s i started a different map because i made the other a complete mess!

cutscenes are good on my level, but your going to need to finish your level so i can add cutscenes to yours. overall, the scripting is working out better than i thought it would!

Corrupt,
can you send me a map with a quick cutscene in it so i can have a look at the script?

send it via pm please :D

- sausage

I've sent you a good helping of sounds, give em a looksee (or lookse for that matter), and get back to me, I'll also send you a voice acting sample.

***STATUS REPORT***
well, its been forever since weve had some details on this project.
here is some simple eye candy.

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/9928/doom00008my.png

http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/8521/doom00014uh.png

yeah, i know, they're very sexy...

anyways, this project has went from zdoom to gzdoom!!! now this project will take advantage of all the features practically availible using the best doom port ever!!!

the HUD is now fully functionable, but not completed. we still have to add several features.

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTIONS... :D

It'll be a nice change of pace though (at least for some of us that want something a little different). I mean, maybe it's unnecessary, but how bad could it be?

Anyway, I think it looks pretty good man.

well, first of all, the 3d floors would make this look more like a modern game. i think gzdoom is using a quake based engine anyway. but if you look into games like doom3 and quake3 and RTCW... there are plenty of 3d floors and slopes etc.
so why shouldnt i take advantage of it. doom has never seen such complicated mapping.
its always just been raising sectors. but now you can have tons of 3d space!

Corrupted Marine said:

i think gzdoom is using a quake based engine anyway.

Are you on crack? GZDoom is Zdoom with Legacy style 3D floors.

I'm all for 3D floors... but I have RARELY seen appropriate use of them. High Tech Hell 2 for Legacy is one of them. No offense, but most of the uses look like your screenshot where it's just a shawn 2 platform that could have just as easily been done in Doom's 2D. There's no point in adding 3D floors unless you can integrate it into the level effectively both aesthetically and functionally. Take a look at the aforementioned was to see what I'm talking about.

Corrupted Marine said:

doom has never seen such complicated mapping.
its always just been raising sectors. but now you can have tons of 3d space!

You should actually have played some Wads before you make such bold and obviously retarded statements.

Corrupted Marine said:

doom has never seen such complicated mapping.

I have seen more complicated mapping in doom, but still the project looks nice.

Until I see a tall medieval tower-style doom level, I'm not impressed with 3d floors. ...hmmmm I wonder if I could do that in zdoom with some teleport lines and a crapload of copy paste....

kristus said:

You should actually have played some Wads before you make such bold and obviously retarded statements.

hahaha, i wasnt talking about my level, i was talking about 3d floors in general... :D

also, when i said that gzdoom was using a engine based off quake, i meant that ZDOOM in general was using the quake engine.

i mean for instance, we have:
particles
3d floors
swimmable water
etc.

i just simply said that it is using an engine BASED OFF OF the quake engine. that means it has a few similiarities. i didnt say that it was using the fuckin quake engine... >:(

does gzdoom use openGL?
if so i am not too sure if i can use it but i have made a map and will post is soon on the net.
it is for Zdoom [Doom in Hexen format]
and has some scripts involved and i have added the zdoom monster pack but am getting rid of it.

- sausage

Comiclez said:

So Corrupt, what's on the list of weapons so far?

Shotgun
Grenade Launcher
?

Any ideas?

replace bfg with something similar to the spidermastermind's rapid fire shotgun thingy

Corrupted Marine said:

however, zdoom editing is FAR different than regular doom. you have to use tons of different tags to get doors to function, along with tons of other functions.

All you really need is the generic door one for all of your doors. all of those tags just allow you to do just about anything to the door.