Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mindless Rambler

Old-School Midis

I think a lot of newer music sounds really uninteresting or is excessive. Sure, it's cool because it's orchestrated, but it reminds me of background music in movies that you usually end up forgetting. That or they license shitty rap or rock music from mainstream recording artists. Midi music is so much catchier and more fun to listen to, generally.

The last good game music I've heard is from the first Unreal Tournament . . . Though, for the record, I haven't really played anything younger than that, except for DOOM3, which we all know doesn't have music.

Let's take into consideration all the SHITTY music from back then as well. I think the ratio is probably very close to the same.

Meh, MIDIs almost always sound bad. Personaly, I prefer the era where the soundtrack was on the disc, like Quake 2 and Descent 2. Those are a couple of my favorite game soundtracks. That and anything by Mark Morgan.

The problem is that the human race has run out of songs to write. Everything has been done. Now we just forefeit any attempt at melody, try to blow out our eardrums with distortion guitars, and eventually pass it off as cool.

music in games, just like games themselves, are always becoming more mainstream cause computer games are a huge market now, and so they try to be more 'hip'. i miss the days when computer games were made solely to nerd losers :(

I like the music in the first C&C, Red Alert, and the first Dark Deign. I don't play many new games but what little I have heard I don't like.

Guardian said:

The last good game music I've heard is from the first Unreal Tournament . . . Though, for the record, I haven't really played anything younger than that, except for DOOM3, which we all know doesn't have music.

I still listen to that music, it's on my hard drive :)

Xanthier said:

I still listen to that music, it's on my hard drive :)

Same here. :) As a token of friendship, my brother download the player necessary to run the .umx music files. I am thankful to this day.

gargoylol said:

Tracker and (Especially OPL2/3 FM) MIDI > ogg and mp3.

AGREE

The first I heard tracker music, it was featured in a small freeware game called Acid Tetris. Goddamn fantastic music on that game. Apparently it got enough attention that it sparked a lawsuit, where eventually the designers had to change the name.

Also, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask if anyone knows of a good SoundFont emulator, or anything that can improve the sound of my MIDI. I downloaded some software a while back, but got rid of it because it was too complicated, didn't work one bit, and I couldn't stop it from making 2GB WAV files.

The Mechwarrior 2 series (not 3 or 4) had an unbelievable soundtrack. They also were one of those audio tracks on the CD variety.

Numbermind said:

Also, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask if anyone knows of a good SoundFont emulator, or anything that can improve the sound of my MIDI. I downloaded some software a while back, but got rid of it because it was too complicated, didn't work one bit, and I couldn't stop it from making 2GB WAV files.

I'll ask SilentZora over at DoomWadStation what he uses, I thinks its what your talking about.

AndrewB said:

The problem is that the human race has run out of songs to write. Everything has been done.

Uh

Foofoo said:

music in games, just like games themselves, are always becoming more mainstream cause computer games are a huge market now, and so they try to be more 'hip'. i miss the days when computer games were made solely to nerd losers :(

I second that. Most Definitely.

Numbermind said:

A good soundfont emulator is SynthFont. Disadvantages are it doesn't support reverb or other effects, and it outputs to to waveout instead of MIDI. Also, it's not middleware for MIDI; it's just a MIDI file player.

It's pretty simple. Just point it to a .sf2 file for your musical instruments and then open your MIDIs. Oh yeah, it's also very easy on the CPU and it can play far more complicated MIDIs than a SBLive or Audigy card.

Yeah, I think Timidity is what I was using.

Anyway, this Synthfont is pretty good. I haven't found any good soundfonts yet... can you recommend any? I remember having one that focused on realistic guitars, choir, and drums...

Danarchy said:

Meh, MIDIs almost always sound bad. Personaly, I prefer the era where the soundtrack was on the disc, like Quake 2 and Descent 2. Those are a couple of my favorite game soundtracks. That and anything by Mark Morgan.

What the Quake 2 soundtrack was horrible. It was way too heavy.

I love all the music Mark Klem and Tolwyn did for various Doom wads. I even bought like all their CDs cause they used to be like $5 on mp3.com.

AndrewB said:

The problem is that the human race has run out of songs to write. Everything has been done. Now we just forefeit any attempt at melody, try to blow out our eardrums with distortion guitars, and eventually pass it off as cool.

I highly agree. blowing out eardrums with guitars screaming mindless bullshit is NOT music. just as rap IS NOT music. common, get it through your head.

Kid Airbag said:

What the Quake 2 soundtrack was horrible. It was way too heavy.

Heh, it was a bit too intense for the game, but it worked, and it's good to listen to alone. Of course, it's industrial metal which I always seem to dig so...

Csonicgo said:

just as rap IS NOT music. common, get it through your head.

Okay that's good cause hip-hip is

Kid Airbag said:

It doesn't get any more oldschool than canyon.mid

Canyon.mid defines the word, or acronym for that matter, midi.