Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Apothem

[Concept Map] The RPG Engine.

I am currently developing an RPG engine for Doom. The battle system will be turn based, and will be fully customizable with full support of any magic or attack ideas you may have. Currently, the project is in the documentation and basic layout stage and hopefully I'll be able to get a good chunk of documentation and/or coding done today.
The original post for this was made on the zdoom forums which can be viewed here

I've updated the documentation a good bit, if you're interested please check the thread on the zdoom forums mentioned in the first post.

EDIT: Little Faith, if you're really interested and want to learn more about it, contact me via PM and I'll give you my AIM/MSN address and we can talk there.

And if you are interested in modifying the GLBoom engine for me, you let me know. Because you sound kinda good for some reason.

I've done a good bit of updating to the documentation and I believe I'm almost at a point in which I can start coding for it. I'll be beginning with the Camera code and working from there. If you have any feedback for me or comments please feel free to post them here or on the Zdoom thread.

UPDATE:
The first of 4 camera scripts have been coded.
Begun framework on the Battle system.
Background information on the storyline is in.
Begun work on making basic town and dungeon maps.

New update (As posted on the thread on Zdoom.org):

10/11/05 - I'd like to welcome Chaoscentral to the team as coder and mapper! Construction has begun on the menu system, work continues on the other parts mentioned before. Spell GFX are coming along nicely. Phase II of the project has begun. The equipment system is no longer a dream! That shit is going in! WOOT. Documentation is almost completed. Begun work on getting the stat arrays to be displayed and getting basic statistics available. A demo wad with a mock test battle will be released as soon as the menus, spell effects, and melee efffects are done.

The project is progressing nicely, and once I get all the stat arrays in order, I'll be able to work on getting the mock test battle going! Woot!

Well yeah! what'd you expect?! I've been obsessing over this project for little over a year now. Anyway I would bet that many of you have probably been very curious as to the structure of the battle system. I have managed to procure a demo video of the battle system from the game I'm trying to replicate. I will have it posted here shortly. The file size to these videos is really small, so it shouldn't be too hard to download.

Well the videos are finally uploaded. I know many of you are curious to see an example of what I'm attempting to do, so take a look at this and the battle system elements from these videos are what is going to be present inside the engine.

Boss battle - http://rapidshare.de/files/6316541/DEMO0005.AVI.html
Attacking Tutorial - http://rapidshare.de/files/6316696/attack.avi.html
Counterattack Tutorial - http://rapidshare.de/files/6316812/Counter.avi.html

So know you have the opportunity to see what I'm really trying to do. Post your comments, suggestions, or thoughts here.

Thought I'd update you guys:
The maps are beginning to form, and I plan on having 2-3 dungeons and 2 towns in the main world map. I'm still working on the stats, and when I finish them, the beginnings of the battle system will begin to come into focus. Things are really starting to get interesting, and with the current team I have here, things are gonna be good. I, on behalf of the dev team, hope to present to you a memorable wad and I thank you all for your continued interest in this project... (However small it may be)

If this comes off to be as awesome as it sounds, I say we should have BBG wax Apothem's car with his hair.

And then he would tongue-wash the tires, because that's the kind of 110% person he is.

DC

For a moment there I thought those videos were actually your work in progress. "THAT is Doom?" Haha. What game are they from? It looks like a PSX game on an emulator or something. And it seems to be borrowing very heavily from FF7.

Either way, yes, it does sound very interesting.

that's because, he posted those just to show you what he's trying to do.

Looks good Apothem, can't wait to see how this comes out :thumb:

DarkFoxSoldier20 said:

You think it will Spring Doom more alive again?

It better damn it, that's part of the reason why I'm doing this. I want to create a totally new aspect of playing such an old game. I thank you guys for your feedback, and if you have any thoughts or suggestions as to possibily improving this as we go along, feel free to speak up. Hopefully, like I said before, I'll have a good demo to show you guys in about a month.

Doom-Child said:

If this comes off to be as awesome as it sounds, I say we should have BBG wax Apothem's car with his hair.

And then he would tongue-wash the tires, because that's the kind of 110% person he is.

DC

Makes me wish I had a car.... =D

Xanthier said:

I tried to play those videos in
Divx but they no worky :(

You're not missing much, they're just some video grabs of basic turn-based rpg battles. If you've ever played a turn-based rpg then you already know what's there.

If you're going to do turn-based just PLEASE don't make it slow, keep it fast paced and moving.

bah, every time i see RPG i assume it means Rocket Propelled Grenade... and so i thought that this was a map CALLED "the RPG engine"

heh

ho hum

Mancubus II said:

You're not missing much, they're just some video grabs of basic turn-based rpg battles. If you've ever played a turn-based rpg then you already know what's there.

If you're going to do turn-based just PLEASE don't make it slow, keep it fast paced and moving.

Don't worry, I will. The way that particular battle system is set up, it'll keep you on your toes. That's one of the very few RPG's I can play anymore because of the fact it keeps you involved the entire time, you dont just pick commands and watch your guy do it. You've got to actually complete your attack combo's with your controls. It's a good battle system, and hopefully, it'll be enjoyable by many.

I didn't mention it before because you sounded like you had it all together, but I can help with the programming if need be. I'm fluent in C/C++ (I use it every bloody day). I've not done any Doom coding in the past, but a good programmer can learn what he needs fast.

Anyway, no pressure, just thought I'd offer my services. Catch me on AIM at DoomChild31 and let me know. I'm on pretty much all the time.

DC

I doubt it. Considering the documentation stage just got pulled back 30% and I've got mid-terms coming up, I don't expect any progress to be done for a while. Sorry! =/

Yeah, mid-terms are really gonna suck too. I'm really behind so I can't work on anything that's off-task as far as school related stuff goes =( So yeah, work on the engine is post-poned untill later notice.

Okay, midterms have been long since over, and the documentation thread has been updated. I did a rather lengthy update on the thread, so it's worth taking a look.