Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

Speedrun Categories I'd Like To See

Recommended Posts

As much as I'd love to attempt these myself, I just don't have the skill to pull them off (truthfully, I can barely handle Skill 3 regularly). But here is my personal list of gimmick speedruns I'd love to see in Doom:

* Double-turbo speedrun. Turbo.deh + Nightmare/fast/respawn + turbo 200.
* "Realistic" speedrun. Fist, Pistol and single shotgun only, turbo 50, no strafing.
* Stealth speedrun (ZDoom or equivalent). Start the map with invisibility and run through the map alerting as few monsters as possible.
* Deathmatch+monsters speedrun - players are challenged to go through the map as quickly as possible, while preventing their opponents from doing the same.

Share this post


Link to post

interesting ideas.

perhaps too tedious to be fun to play, but I'd watch. :)
I think the Reality demos are pretty close to your Realistic category.

Share this post


Link to post
Opulent said:

I think the Reality demos are pretty close to your Realistic category.

It sounds closer to the "Stroller" category to me, and has the same basic drawback - on a lot of maps it will be physically impossible to reach the exit, as you won't be able to cross some gaps that you are intended to run across. That's arguably less of an impediment for Strolling though, as there are so few maps that can be played that way in any case, gaps or no gaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

It sounds closer to the "Stroller" category to me, and has the same basic drawback - on a lot of maps it will be physically impossible to reach the exit, as you won't be able to cross some gaps that you are intended to run across. That's arguably less of an impediment for Strolling though, as there are so few maps that can be played that way in any case, gaps or no gaps.

As the inventor of the "Stroller" play style I have said in the past that it's open to interpretation and the point is merely to make a run that makes it look like you don't care about what's going on around you, thus the lack of running, strafing, and shooting. If a map required you to do one or more of those things in order to win you would be allowed to, the point is the attitude, not how many tics you were running in etc.

Share this post


Link to post

For a while I've been thinking about a speedrun category where you play with iddqd on and try to kill as many monsters as possible without firing a single shot, in the shortest time possible. You'd have to get them to kill each other and themselves with infighting and barrels. I was playing around with it a few weeks ago, it was pretty fun. Probably someone with a lot more skills than I could do it without iddqd, but due to the "no firing" rule, it'd likely be obscenely hard. Would definitely be more fun to watch without it, though ;)

Mike

Share this post


Link to post

I just had an AWESOME category idea.

I'll call it the "One-hand-occupied" run. One hand uses the keyboard, while the other masturbates. You have to finish the megawad in question under these conditions WITHOUT ORGASMING under ANY circumstance. Even if it's a porn wad.

Women will not be allowed to participate because of special advantages.

Vanilla Doom(2).exe only.

Share this post


Link to post

WildWeasel said:
* Deathmatch+monsters speedrun - players are challenged to go through the map as quickly as possible, while preventing their opponents from doing the same.

This one seems more interesting than the others... yet it'd probably be better as some kind of CTF with monsters (that guard the flags.) In any case, custom maps would be required.

Share this post


Link to post
Ultraviolet said:

I just had an AWESOME category idea.

I'll call it the "One-hand-occupied" run. One hand uses the keyboard, while the other masturbates. You have to finish the megawad in question under these conditions WITHOUT ORGASMING under ANY circumstance. Even if it's a porn wad.

Women will not be allowed to participate because of special advantages.

Vanilla Doom(2).exe only.


/me sighs
God, I miss this forum. Too bad school takes up all my fucking time.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×