Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

Doom 64 prototype scans?

Apparently, old issues of Nintendo Power and other mags showed very early in-production shots of Doom 64, and the areas/textures seen in these shots didn't make it to the final game. Does anyone have scans of the early Doom 64??

My God, I might actually have that issue. An old friend gave it to me, I think. I'll try and find it.

But -- isn't it against Forum rules to post magazine scans?

Heh, if we can link DOOM 64 itself in "scanned" form...

Guardian said:
But -- isn't it against Forum rules to post magazine scans?

By practice that rule generally applies to current or recent issues. We've had links to old DOOM and DOOM II articles without censure (two about DOOM II recently.)

I really don't see the problem here. Doom 64 is a fairly old game, and I myself would love to see what the prototype of the game was like, if at all possible.

. . .

Okay, I'm guessing that, at least in this case, it would be all right. In any event . . .

Gamepro, Issue 102, 1997, pgs. 44 & 45. As of the article's printing, it stated the game was approximately 60% complete. From the screenshots printed, it doesn't look that much of a prototype but rather what one should expect to see.

So I guess what I have isn't an article of the prototype game. Sorry.

The no scans rule is there for current stuff that's actually in print or that can be obtained via backissues. It's so people don't use the scans as an alternative to buying the magazine.

If it's impossible to find it anywhere, then it's usually okay to post scans. I'd say if it's five years old or more and relates to Doom then there's no problem, unless of course the magazine explicitly contacts us and says there's a problem (which they won't because what the hell magazine reads these forums).

edit: come to think of it, I think I have that issue, as well as the issue where they reviewed Doom 64...

There was one issue where they had a first look feature of Doom64, it had a Mancubus on the cover, and one of his cannons was singeing the Gamepro title. This is the one with the prototype stuff in, namely the Lightning Gun. I really regret not owning that issue. It must have been a pre-100th issue mag, because my 1 year subscription at the time started on the 100th issue.

Then there was the Sneak Peak issue, featuring a 2 page look, basically telling how it would be more of the same (ie, no jumping, looking around, etc). This issue had a Cyberdemon on the front, which was circled by a few lost souls.

Then there was the Review issue, in which Doom64 and Turok both recieved 5/5 (highest review of Doom64 ever?).

And finally I think there was one issue right after the previous, featuring a strategy of the 'toughest' levels.

Anyway, I can scan any page from the last 3 issues (if I can dig them out..), but I would rip off my right - no..left testicle for full page, hi-res scans of the first mag, with the First Look stuff.

Doom 64 is a rare game to find any pre-release media. I e-maild a few people requesting those scans with no reply. So please for the love of God some one scan em.

I'm pretty sure Elbryan has the issue with the prototype stuff in it, be he doesn't regularily visit here.

iori said:

Then there was the Sneak Peak issue, featuring a 2 page look, basically telling how it would be more of the same (ie, no jumping, looking around, etc). This issue had a Cyberdemon on the front, which was circled by a few lost souls.

That's the one I have.

Technician said:

Doom 64 is a rare game to find any pre-release media. I e-maild a few people requesting those scans with no reply. So please for the love of God some one scan em.

It would appear I have to go-ahead, so even though this isn't the prototype issue, if people want it, I'll scan it as soon as I get access to the scanner; my brother uses that computer more frequently than I.

I'm very interested in seeing this, as Doom 64 is one of my favorite Doom games. I could have SWORN I remember seeing an issue of some gaming magazine discussing Doom 64, and it had screenshots that were using Doom 2 graphics. I could be wrong though.

The issue I have, the one with the DOOM64 Cyberdemon on the cover flanked by some Lost Souls, has a couple screenshots comparing DOOM64's look to the pixelated versions you'd have found on the PC back then. Maybe that's what you remember GoatLoard?

Either that, but I suddenly have this flashback image of the pixelated/PC-DOOM on some short-lived console . . . Started with a 'P,' I think . . . And I don't think it was the Playstation . . .

There was an old e3 issue of EGM that had doom64 in it, with a couple of final doom screens as placeholders, apparently.

iori said:

There was an old e3 issue of EGM that had doom64 in it, with a couple of final doom screens as placeholders, apparently.

That could have been it. As far the cover with the Cybie and Lost Souls on it, I don't know what the cover looked like. Was the art for that issue original art? I'd like to see it.

Lucky for you guys, I was a bit of an ad/article freak back in the day. I would tear out every article or ad on Doom/FinalDoom/Doom64 in my magazines and put them in a "Doom" folder so I have the ones you are looking for. I scanned and uploaded them if you want to see them here:

GamePro September 1996 Page 29: http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gamepro06cw.jpg

GamePro March 1997 Page 44: http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gamepro12oq.jpg

GamePro March 1997 Page 45: http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gamepro27db.jpg

Next Generation February 1997 Page 81: http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nextgeneration2au.jpg

Next Generation February 1997 Page 82: http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nextgeneration26td.jpg

Electronic Gaming Monthly (not sure what month and year but it says the game is at 75% completion) Page 95: http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=egm2sx.jpg

DarkFoxSoldier20 said:

Dammit, now I miss this game. :(

Get the Doom64 TC for jdoom, it's win.

Seeing the scans make me wish they would release the models they used to make those sprites. Their probably in a designers archive.

Is that the lightning gun on the firsst scan?

I played the entire Doom 64 TC plus add-ons, aside from a few jDoom bugs it was totally awesome.

*******ely nice considering this was when /newstuff was toast. :P

in those screenshots with the mist... is that monster a fucking gargantuan or just too close????