Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vile

New Doom3 Speedrun, Marine Skill in 1:40:10

Getting...!

Did anyone ever explain why DOOM 3 recordings must be screen captures, as opposed to some economical code? Sure makes bigger files. Anyone know what more multiplayer oriented Doom3 based games use?

myk said:

Getting...!

Did anyone ever explain why DOOM 3 recordings must be screen captures, as opposed to some economical code? Sure makes bigger files. Anyone know what more multiplayer oriented Doom3 based games use?

No reason they have to just be screen captures. There is just no in-game utility to record blocks like the quake games.
I assume the root of the problem lies with the netcode. In multiplayer games, it syncs the player hitboxes per pixel and all the light-generated data (like shadows) between the hosts.
One would assume you could write a function that records the player position and vector information (and health, etc..) and just render the rest as the demo playsback -- it wouldn't be a true replay, but it would be close enough.
Activision cleaned it up a bit for ROE... and I would assume Q4 is another step farther, but I don't know.

As for Vile's post: :)

Opulent said:

As for Vile's post: :)

I wasn't the runner (the same person who did the last run). I just felt like sharing it. :)

ah, I _did_ think it was you, but I didn't check the SDA page yet.
still pretty cool no matter who it is.
(restarting my download again after 2 hrs...)

He did an excellant speed run... but I can't really comment because it has taken me about a week each time.

In terms of style though, he knows his levels well and performed some interesting tricks and manouvers. His overall battle skill is pretty good and even in flight he did himself proud. Of course at times he seemed to rush and silly mistakes were made and great moments of luck and skill were all that saved him. He is very dexterous with his keyboard and mouse coordination.

He's as lucky as a rabbit's foot, fights like a mercinary and runs like Arnold J. Rimmer.

I give this fellow a 7.8 out of 10.0. Well done squire, who ever you are.

I can't get it to load, I have been waiting forever. Do I need to wait like an hour?