Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Boingo

DeiMWolf version 0.9.0 Released

Just popping in for a bit to announce that DeiMWolf version 0.9.0 for DooM Legacy has just been released.

DeiMWolf is a new mod based on Wolfenstein 3D.

I know there are dozens of Wolfenstein mods for DooM and various DooM ports, but I am hoping you will find mine to be different.

The levels are 100% faithful to the originals, and game play is very close to the original game play, but one of the main goals is to have everything else different. At the moment, the enemy sprites are just using enlarged versions of the original W3D sprites as placekeepers, but these are intended to be replaced in the near future. The rest of the graphics are all brand new.

You can find DeiMWolf at http://www.doomlegends.com/deimwolf/

I look forward to reading your comments.

very nice 3D work. I'll keep quiet about the issues I have with legacy and just say that I do like the way this project is heading.

dn approved.

Wow, nice 3D work! This proyect sounds good, other alternative than great WolfenDooM.

I like Wolfenstein, and I like Wolfenstein based mods ;)

For anybody who is interested, I am working, albeit slowly, on new enemy sprites, using stop motion animation techniques on action figures. Here are a couple of examples:

That actually brings me to the reason why I have released DeiMWolf early, as a beta version, rather than waiting until the sprites are done.

The coarse resolution still used by Legacy sprites, in spite of the fact that I have been bugging the Legacy team to add a high resolution mode for sprites since January of 2000, means that I will have a truly massive repainting job once I reduce the pics down to their final size. Since I am talking about over 200 sprites for each character, I decided that it was simply unreasonable to wait until Christmas (or longer) to release DeiMWolf.

My current nightmare: Repainting rescaled sprites that look like this ...

My hope: That the Legacy team will finally add in high res sprite support, so that I can add in sprites like this ...

You could always bring the project over to GZDoom without too much trouble (a little tweakage and it'd run almost perfect) - that supports high-res sprites in true color almost perfectly, to my knowledge.

WildWeasel said:

that supports high-res sprites in true color almost perfectly, to my knowledge.

If it is true, I am going to start working with GZDooM, is a great news to know that allows hires sprites!

WildWeasel said:

You could always bring the project over to GZDoom without too much trouble (a little tweakage and it'd run almost perfect) - that supports high-res sprites in true color almost perfectly, to my knowledge.

I even added player view height changing just to have a proper look at it. ;)

Unfortunately the DEHACKED is not 100% compatible.
It uses hacked Heretic items in DEHACKED. This is not that easy to support because ZDoom has altered some of them to a degree that makes it hard to create a compatible DEHSUPP lump. BUt it could be circumvented by using DECORATE instead of DEHACKED.

Looking Good!
Just out of curosity what gun has a drum on it in Wolf?
The only thing close is the MG38? Is this going to be added?

The MG34 (The one depicted in DeiMWolf), and the MG42 both used an optional assault drum to make them easier to carry. The drums usually carried 50 rounds, although 75 round drums were available.

Admittedly, the guns were not meant to be fired while the user was moving. The user was either to unfold the weapons bipod, then drop down on his belly, or brace himself in a standing position, then fire while holding on to one leg of the bipod. This, of course would not play well in DW, so a little liscence will have to be taken here. The fact that the MG34 also uses a different calibur of ammo (7.92mm) than the P38 pistol and the MP40 (9mm parabellum for both) is also being ignored in favour of easier game play.

In this pic, one MG34 is mounted on a heavy tripod, which could be configured for either ground or antiaircraft fire, and is using an ammo belt. The other pic shows an MG34 with its standard bipod and using an assault drum.

Trivia: MG34s were used in Star Wars (ep4) as weapons used by imperial storm troopers, with only *slight* modification to make them look a little more spacey.

Are there any other ports beside GZDoom that have high res sprite support? And what's the maximum level of detail? 2x? 4x?

Nikanoru said:

Are there any other ports beside GZDoom that have high res sprite support? And what's the maximum level of detail? 2x? 4x?

Sure - EDGE also supports high res sprites. And the details can go as high as you want them to (as long as you can make a decimal number small enough for the scale commands - for example, 8x scaled sprites would be 0.125).

<edit> Boingo: When/if you replace the pistol to make the P38, which variety of P38 do you plan to use? The Luger or the Walther? I notice that your action figure uses a Walther, so it might be a good idea to use that for consistency's sake.

I also noticed that your Nazi sprites have anti-aliasing around the edges, blending them with the cyan background (and the current up-scaled ones in the wad file do too, giving them a healthy pink glow around them). Might want to edit off the edges (not to worry though, a simple magic wand + retract selection will do that easily enough)

Walther P38 is what I plan to use.

I originally planned to use a Luger P08, which was the more common weapon, but I discovered that I would be able to borrow a P38 replica from a local army surplus store to make FP sprites with.

I am planning to make replicas of a MP40 and an MG34 if I can. No promises on that however.

If you are speaking about the ones I am working on, then the antialiasing around the outsides are simply there, because I have not done any repainting to them yet. They have only been rescaled. In fact, they have not even been changed to the DooM palette yet.

If you are speaking about the rescaled W3D sprites currently in the game, which have reddish outlines around them from the magenta background they originally had, then I will have to tell you that there will be no repainting on these at all. They were never meant to be in any release. They are only placekeepers.

Comiclez said:

This could shape up to be the best wad I played this year, awesome.

Many many thanks.

Graf Zahl said:

I even added player view height changing just to have a proper look at it. ;)

Unfortunately the DEHACKED is not 100% compatible.
It uses hacked Heretic items in DEHACKED. This is not that easy to support because ZDoom has altered some of them to a degree that makes it hard to create a compatible DEHSUPP lump. BUt it could be circumvented by using DECORATE instead of DEHACKED.

The use of Heretic stuff came from the fact that DeiMWolf was originally meant to be an Easter egg hidden inside DeiM, and I didn't want it to conflict with DeiM's hack editing. Development of DeiM was put on indefinite hold two years ago, on the assumption that Legacy v2.0 would be coming out soon. Ha ha! This is what turned DeiMWolf into its own project.

WildWeasel said:

I am strongly considering switching over to GZDooM, or at least doing a version for it.

I have been modding for Legacy for almost six years. It was the most advanced port when I first got into the online DooMing community, but I have watched it lag behind over the years.

GZDooM has high res sprites, a feature I have been begging the Legacy team for since January of 2000, and supports Legacy's 3D floors. That in and of itself should make it worth switching ports. Being able to use models for scenery object would be great too.

Boingo said:

Trivia: MG34s were used in Star Wars (ep4) as weapons used by imperial storm troopers, with only *slight* modification to make them look a little more spacey.

They were also attached to Steadicam harnesses with some other modifications in "Aliens". =^D

Nice work, Boingo! Can't wait to see it when it's done!

I do appreciate the value of using models for doing the sprites, but using hi-res sprites of action figures will reveal just what they are: action figures. It may be wise to have a level of obscurity in the final sprite, so that people dont feel like they are shooting gi joes.
Otherwise I highly support this method of doing the sprites, and I am also excited for new wolfensteiny material. I will be very pleased if this becomes everything Wolfendoom wasnt!

Boingo said:

GZDooM has high res sprites, a feature I have been begging the Legacy team for since January of 2000, and supports Legacy's 3D floors. That in and of itself should make it worth switching ports. Being able to use models for scenery object would be great too.

It would help if we had a coder that could spend more time on the renderer, but that can't be helped. I suggest moving to GZDoom, it has the features you want plus more.

KwadDamyj said:

They were also attached to Steadicam harnesses with some other modifications in "Aliens". =^D

Nice work, Boingo! Can't wait to see it when it's done!

Actually, the smart guns, the ones you are thinking of, were mostly made from spare motorcycle parts.

MG34s were used to make the two sentry guns in the service tunnels in the special edition of Aliens though.

<<EDIT: I am considering the possibility of either reproducing two of the other original W3D episodes, "Operation Eissenfaust" and "Die Fuhrer Die!", or creating some new ones. These options will take a back seat to work on the new graphics, of course. Does anybody have any opions in regard to these ideas?>>

I vote for the episode recreations - particularly eps 2 and 3, because those are the most classic in my opinion. And good luck making the Hitler Robot.