Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-_DLD_-

Top 10 Maps?

After checking the Stickies, I hope that this thread's okay, seeing as I saw a similar one (though only addressing City maps).

What, in your guy's opinion, are the top 10 maps you've ever played period?

I won't post mine, because I know you'd laugh at me as I've barely played anything outside of the id levels.

*ahem*

I apparently am also a minority. I IDDQD my way through all the mods I've downloaded, I never played any of the console versions, and i actually consider the first two DOOM novellas to be 'okay.'

Anyone laughs at you, I got yo' back.

No one laugh! That's just mean!

Anyway . . . Top ten levels. Well, I can't think of ten exactly, but I know i loved TeamTNT's Evilution and their Icarus.

I also a level from Hell Revealed II: there's a castle/fortress type level that's just filled to the brim with monsters, and it's fun watching them kill each other.

Computer Station - Most challenging level in episode 1. The monsters always gets my health somewhere around 10% here... Yet I survive!
BioTech Terror - Aah, green moisturized fun packed tight.
Under Neith - Great big map, but in the end the ammo balance got a bit negative, but with some weird tactics I handled the situation.
Refueling Base - That round room with lots of people are fun to kill and the dark room with lots of zombies is great.
Phobos Lab - Good looking architecture and some tight fights.
Slough Of Despair - This map has great tight ammo balance.
Well Of Souls - This map has great tight ammo balance too.
Containment Area - Crates :D
Underhalls - Pretty easy, but the atmosphere is spooky.
The Living End - Huge underground acid blood sea with steep cliffs around..

1.Daedalus (Map 30)
2.RTC 3057 Hub 01 (Map 02)
3.Super Sonic Doom (Map 28)
4.Chosen (Map 02)
5.Action Doom (Map 01)
6.Mass Mouth 2 (Map 10)
7.Batman Doom (Map 31)
8.Hacx (Map 12)
9.Foreverhood Beta (Map 01)
10.Doom: Refresh Daemon Demo (Map 01)

1. Nimrod Map07
2. ZDoom community map
3. P:AR E1M3
4. 007LTSD E4M3
5. TNT3 Map01
6. City of the Damned
7. Enjay's Marine Assault
8. KZDoom7
9. Darkest Hour Map07
10. Darkening2 Map12

What Megawads are these from? Some of you said that already, but most of you didn't, and I'd like to download/play them.

Oh, and Guardian, try playing through Hell Revealed without cheats. On Hurt Me Plenty, I cannot even make it half way through that game. Just for fun I skipped to a level in the mid 20's (something like 22 or 26) and it was called Resistance is Futile. That level is freaking incredible...so many Cyber Demons...

off the top of my head in no particular order

aotw
void
tnt (map32)
plutonia (map05)
plutonia (map03)
action doom (map03)
scythe (map07)
scythe (map26)
scythe (map28)
and most of tvr

What's ATOW, Void, and TVR?

I think I have Scythe, I just haven't tried it yet (I got hundreds of maps in the last few days, so I'm a bit overloaded with new DooM stuff right now).

As for my maps...(don't laugh), I'd probably say something like (in no particular order)...

Tower of Babel
The Spirit World
Power Control
Underground Base (HR)
E1M8 (soooo many memories)
Go 2 It (I still find this thing impossibe)
Hell Keep/Warrens (more memories)
The level in TNT with all those really cool passageways...it's a maze and more passages keep opening up)
Blitz (a crappy level made by me, but I just find it fun as heck on U-V)
Last Call (cool telefrag puzzle...very unique)

See? I said I suck.

Individual maps, eh? In only rough order, and with fun and replayability major factors in the assessment:

• hr map13 (Last Look at Eden)
  • equinox map13
  • hr map11 (Underground Base)
  • strain map17 (Promenade)
  • av map06
  • ksutra map13 (actually that map is a more or less random choice from many in ksutra - it's full of great maps)
  • requiem map06 (Natas ot Etubirt)
  • icarus map23 (Painful Discharge; normally I'd choose map20 {War Temple} as a map from Icarus, but felt like a change here for some reason)
  • rigel1 (challenge, connectivity, constant action and more route options than most other maps I can think of)
  • mines (several wads are called this; the one I mean is Mines of Titan by Jim Flynn)
Ten isn't really enough, and on a different day I might make a very different selection. These would all be in my favourite 50 though.

If you don't have these wads, do a search in the idgames database for the file-name given (adding ".zip" for any short ones, e.g. "hr.zip").

1.Galaxia.wad
2.Memento Mori.wad (map13)
3.Memento Mori2.wad (map26,27)
4.Requiem.wad (map05)
5.Eternal Doom.wad (map30)
6.Talon3.wad
7.Abyss666.wad (Made by my old mapping team)
8.1_6Tron.wad
9.Yakworld.wad
10.Doom Xtreme Gold (The whole dam thing)

Eternal DooM is too buggy for me to play...lots and LOTS of really weird and annoying bugs...like whole walls missing. >__>;; I wish it wasn't so buggy, otherwise I'd play it. I enjoyed those HR maps though...although their difficulty (mainly Underground Base) taxed my feeble skills to their limits.

The WAD is ok. The problem is with the source port you are using. Let me guess: Legacy in OpenGL mode, right?

*buzz!* You are incorrect.

I'm using Doomsday Kickstart...I use that for everything. The amount of godly enhancements this thing gives me when playing DooM on XP (Legacy is so pixilated I nearly go blind) is enough to make me swear by it.

For that particular WAD Doomsday is not the best port. Eternal uses may rendering tricks that are tough to handle by OpenGL ports, especially those which don't have code to compensate. It is not surprising that you get rendering errors (although missing walls are kind of a trademark of Legacy's OpenGL mode.)

I made a list here, but that was a long time ago, and I have replaced some favourites. :-)

Here's my list (in no specific order):

• Hell Revealed map 13
  • Hell Revealed map 22
  • Memento Mori map 2
  • Memento Mori map 20
  • Doom 2 map 7
  • Requiem map 27
  • Alien Vendetta map 20
  • Kama Sutra map 20
  • Scythe 2 map 6
  • Ultimate Doom E1M7
Ask me again in a couple of months' time and the list will be different. :-)

-_DLD_- said:

Ah. What do you suggest then?

Eternal was designed to work with Doom2.exe and requires no port-specific features. It should therefore be OK with any port that doesn't change the behaviour significantly and uses software rendering. Some ports with hardware rendering might also be OK, but this will vary, and it may depend on how much difference from the intended appearance you are willing to tolerate. Personally, I haven't observed many problems in GLBoom-plus (my default port), though I haven't played through the whole wad using that.

Hmmm...I'll try GLBoom and ZDoom, once I have them/find them in my DooM folder.

Thanks!

Oh, and I like that list you made, Ronge! Nice and in-depth.

You're probably not going to like zDoom very much, DLD. I noticed you said "Legacy is so pixilated I nearly go blind", well, zDoom is the same way.

You should try both Risen3D and GZDoom.

Risen3D is based off of Doomsday, so a lot of the stuff is the same (it doesn't use Kickstart though). However, it has been improved over Doomsday in that it displays the majority of the stuff in levels like Eternal Doom correctly. It can also play stuff like Phobos Anomaly Reborn and Scythe 2 map 20, which the current version of Doomsday can't.

GZDoom is great because not only does it allow to play the maps I've listed, but it's the only source port that would allow you to play just about every map listed in this thread so far.

If you want something for watching demos, then glBoom is the best choice, since Boom is what most demos are recorded in.

Nmn said:

8.Hacx (Map 12)

Aha! So I'm not the only one who loves this map. (I listed it in the City maps thread, and it would figure in my overall top 20-30 for sure.)

Grazza said:

Aha! So I'm not the only one who loves this map. (I listed it in the City maps thread, and it would figure in my overall top 20-30 for sure.)

No, you are not the only one. It's not quite Top-10-Material but it is still a very good map.

I'm not sure if these are my fav, still are maps that no matter the day or hour, I allways find fun and interesting. In no particular order.

-The Blood Sea Keep (from Master Levels)
-The Black Tower (the same)
-Mephisto's Mausoleoum (idem)
-The Express Elevator to Hell (the same again)
-The Gateway of Hell (map 30 from Plutonia)
-The Tower of Babel
-Action DOOM first map (I don't play this often be cause my computer hates the newer versions of Zdoom, still I find this a master piece)
-Whatever map from Knee Deep in the Dead
-The city map of GBD2 (the one with the car)
-Whatever map from DOOM 2.5 (ahem..)