Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkFoxSoldier20

Doom Self made vids

I dunno. I thought it would be a good idea to post you own Vids of you playing doom by yourself or online pwning people. When I record my games I usually get a huge ass AVI file but I convert it to WMV. for a smaller size.

I will submit video's once I upload these 2 vids.

A lump file. Each wad is made up of a number of compiled lumps. Since the id guys incorporated a recording capability in DOOM, basically to use for the three (then four) demo files in the game, they made it so that the recordings automatically go with the lump extension, presumably to make it easier to lump them together in the wad, or simply because they were handling lumps that way.

Mostly when people refer to LMPs they mean "demo" recordings that you can load though -playdemo to watch. Try doom.exe -playdemo demo1 and the first demo (in E1M5) will play back. Doom will do that with any recording lump in its directory, or any recording lump loaded through -file, like:

doom.exe -file demos\e1m1-010.lmp -playdemo e1m1-010

Released source based engines (Boom, ZDoom, etc.) will usually allow you to load a recording on another directory directly through -playdemo with the path, though many of these engines have their own particular recording formats (each reads its own recordings and not others, even sometimes their own earlier versions.) PrBoom and Eternity can read most Doom, Doom2 or Boom based recording lumps, though.

I recorded some videos of my mod to promote it, but the sound quality went really crappy in it, so crappy that I made a noise song from the "soundtrack"... But I don't usually record my game to avis because the software I have wants too much from the computer and I have to play with 320*200 resolution, which makes things blurry in gl ports...

Umm ... no. Concrete example: Sedlo's UV speedrun of Doom 2 map 7 in 6 seconds (lv07-006):

Size as .lmp = 3 KB
Size as .avi (320x200, 30 fps, 62 kbit/sec) = 616 KB

That's over 200 times the filesize (with a moderate video quality/resolution)

Plus, with .lmp files you can still watch in high-res, with OpenGL, etc.

Kristian Ronge said:

Umm ... no. Concrete example: Sedlo's UV speedrun of Doom 2 map 7 in 6 seconds (lv07-006):

Size as .lmp = 3 KB
Size as .avi (320x200, 30 fps, 62 kbit/sec) = 616 KB

That's over 200 times the filesize (with a moderate video quality/resolution)

Plus, with .lmp files you can still watch in high-res, with OpenGL, etc.

What program do you get to convert imp. files into video then. Because I already know what your talking about.

I'm creating a music video of some Doom action. I guess I've seen alot of Halo 2 montages and such to the point where I was thinking, 'what if I do the same for Doom?'. So, now I'm working on a video of my own gameplay of course and mixing it with music. When it's done I'll host it.

DarkFoxSoldier20 said:

What program do you get to convert imp. files into video then. Because I already know what your talking about.

Sorry, didn't know how much you knew about it. I was just doing a bit of voluntary informing work on how practical it is with small file sizes. :-)

BTW "imp files", heh.

I got ya. Yo, tell me what you think about the video I hosted. I want constructive crtisism. Haven't gotten any yet. Alot of people viewed this topic but didn't say a word yet. :(

Not bad, DashFoxSoldier20. Too bad it has only music and not the ingame sounds, though.

I've taken out the ingame sounds on purpous. The music would've sounded dumb with the ingame music. But I should've turned of the music in the game and kept the sound effects on. So I'll keep that in mind when I make another one.

I won't be able to record myself playing Doom when online playing against others. I tried doing that but the ping for me is slow and it slows me down. My highest ping is 72 and that's all I can get. I have RR Light connection and that's why. Or maybe I have to lower the FPS to get the results I want.... >.>

K, so I'll probably sound like such a newb for this question, but how do I record my own demos using a sourceport? does it involve using the -devparm stuff (if that's even used anymore with sourceports). Sorry, I never really messed around with that stuff too much.