Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aseph

Quake series

Aseph said:

This has always bugged me. Why is Quake 2's storyline so drastically different from the original Quake's? In Quake 1, you're fighting against "Shub-Niggurath" and all his interdimensional minions. But in Quake 2, you're suddenly going against the Strogg, a totally different enemy. None of the monsters are the same. They also got rid of a lot of famous Quake guns, like the Nail Gun and the Thunderbolt.

Why didn't they just start a new series?

The original Quake was a mish-mash of three different game designs - John Romero wanted to do a medieval action RPG/FPS, Sandy Peterson wanted to do a Lovecraft-inspired horror action FPS, and American McGee and Tim Willits wanted to make a sci-fi/horror FPS, just like DOOM. The design is so unsettling and unique almost by accident - sort of like if you dumped three killer games in a blender.

The original design called for more than two Lovecraft bosses. The others were scapped due to time constraints and J. Carmack's impatience.

After Romero and Peterson "resigned" their ideas and designs were scrapped and Willits/McGee took the series in the sci-fi/horror direction.

Fun Fact: Sandy Peterson co-wrote the original Call of Cthulhu RPG (probably one of the top 10 RPGs ever according to RPG fanatics).

youspeakmylanguage said:

The original Quake was a mish-mash of three different game designs - John Romero wanted to do a medieval action RPG/FPS, Sandy Peterson wanted to do a Lovecraft-inspired horror action FPS, and American McGee and Tim Willits wanted to make a sci-fi/horror FPS, just like DOOM. The design is so unsettling and unique almost by accident - sort of like if you dumped three killer games in a blender.

I always did like the original Quake's mismash of themes. It made for some incredibly interesting level design and possibilities, as is evident by many current Quake mapper's creations for the game. If they ever remake the original, I hope they keep the odd mixture. That and the lightning gun. :p

youspeakmylanguage said:
After Romero and Peterson "resigned" their ideas and designs were scrapped and Willits/McGee took the series in the sci-fi/horror direction.

Are you implying they left before the game was done?

Danarchy said:

Fun Fact: Sandy Peterson co-wrote the original Call of Cthulhu RPG (probably one of the top 10 RPGs ever according to RPG fanatics).

Right. For a long time I thought the Lovecraft bosses and monsters were John Romero's idea.

Sandy Peterson was and is probably the most underrated member of id's team during those golden years.

DarkJedi188 said:

No way!
You're joking, right?

Not quite. Apparently there's a Wolfenstein in Austria but not in Germany.

Texas Libra said:
I can't wait for later this month, baby! Which version is everyone getting? I'm having a hard time deciding between the regular release or the special edition with Quake 2 and its mission packs since it would be nice getting everything in one package, but I can still find the stand-alone versions of all the previous games easily...

I can't. Infact I pre-ordered quake 4 DVD for just that reason...

...Infact, I'm not that inrerested in quake 4 (I'm not even sure I can run it).

It'd still be nice if it dosn't suck.

I just hopes it has a rockin soundtrack, in some parts of the game at least. I'm kinda getting tired of the musicless games, if that makes sense.

Actually, Quake 2 got its name because all the others they proposed were taken or otherwise had some sort of legal issue, so as the release date drew near id settled on their development name for it, Quake 2. There's not really any continuity, nor is there supposed to be, since Q2 was intended to be out of the Quake franchise.

As for remaking Quake in a modern engine, there was a discussion a while back at func_msgboard about such a thing, especially reinterpreting the game using the little given bits of story and, of course, the final product. It sounded really freaking cool.

Quake 2 was far into development untile we saw any media. First screenshots released were close to final. Any one remember that cool tech demo?

Aseph said:

This has always bugged me. Why is Quake 2's storyline so drastically different from the original Quake's? In Quake 1, you're fighting against "Shub-Niggurath" and all his interdimensional minions. But in Quake 2, you're suddenly going against the Strogg, a totally different enemy. None of the monsters are the same. They also got rid of a lot of famous Quake guns, like the Nail Gun and the Thunderbolt.

Why didn't they just start a new series?

Actually, if you look in Quake, there are *slightly* similar creatures between Quake and Quake II, as well as if you notice the Strogg flag is on quite a few crates in Quake. Maybe the flesh and blood 'Quake" race evolved into what we know as the strogg?