Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-_DLD_-

DooM Folder Size

I was just wondering...where does everybody keep their DooM crap? I'm talking musics, editors, custom levels, source ports, EVERYTHING...and how big is it all?

Mine's simply located in a folder named "DooM" in Drive C. On disk it takes up over 750 megs. Is this normal? Or am I totally insane?

Oh...that's still massive!

I don't have DooM 3...so is my file size still tiny by comparison to people like you?

D:\DOOM is currently 1.07GB

13,748 files in 240 folders

Here's an older thread about the subject (just to compare)

I think I've got a little over a gig of Doom stuff spread between my four Doom folders (one vanilla, one Edge, one ZDoom [plus variants], and one Risen3D in case I happen to need it).

Damn... I dunno how big my stuff is... Zdoom, Zdaemon, Jdoom, Doomsday, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Doom Builder, uh.... I have alot. I don't feel like adding all that up.

I keep most of my Doom stuff in c:\doom2 (and subdirectories thereof), though I also have a separate c:\doom folder (it's often useful to keep it apart from Doom2 stuff due to the way the original exes and some old utils work). I also have separate folders for a few other specific things, such as ports that work better that way.

I'm on my laptop at the moment. My Doom2 folder is about 9.38 gigabytes (10,078,736,939 bytes, 58,413 files, 773 folders). I think the one on my desktop machine recently edged over 10 gigs.

I like folders... While my Doom folder is nothing spectacular in the size, it contains 1023 folders which include 16930 files that are sized about 2GB.

Sometime ago I decided to mod Quake(but now it's just hanging there). In couple days my Quake folder expanded into 870MB, 3318 files in 266 folders...

4.53 gigabytes, before a recent clean up it was 6.25 gigs tho

edit: good god, grazza, wtf do you keep in your doom folder?! O_o

3.98gb with doom3 and ROE. 1.48gb without it. This includes editors and stuff like that.

All of my doom stuff is kept on D:. As the partition is practically devoted to doom, I simply have a directory there for each port.

I have about 160 MB dedicated to the Collector's Edition executables, ZDoom 63a, and the latest ZDoom build (9.7.whatever or so).

I also have Doom Builder on my drive, but I can't be arsed right now to look up exactly where it is.

Grazza said:
(it's often useful to keep it apart from Doom2 stuff due to the way the original exes and some old utils work).

Maybe I've mentioned this in the past, but I've tweaked Doom to avoid doom2.wad with DeHackEd, and to run DeuSF and stuff like that I make links to batches that first run a batch that edits the path; so in addition to specifying what and where the wad to modify is, I can tell it to temporarily rename doom.wad when working on DOOM II material, and make it name it back after the changes are made.

My current directory structure (hasn't changed much):

D:\DOOM (DOS EXEs plus DeHackEd variants, main IWADs, and CFG)

D:\DOOM\demo (recordings, only some in folders, most just there)
D:\DOOM\edit (files and folders; Certain DOOM and stuff I work on)
D:\DOOM\hack (DeHackEd patches; DHE loads from and saves there)
D:\DOOM\iwad (other IWADs; alphas, old versions, Final DOOM)
D:\DOOM\misc (utilities and assorted apps and files in folders*)
D:\DOOM\pwad (PWADs, only some in folders, most just there)
D:\DOOM\save (Doom & Doom2 both currenly place savegames here)

* Includes some released source based engine folders 

Size of C:\Doom2 and C:\Doom(+others) is altogether 1,37 GB (2 386 files, 83 folders).

Right now 142mb. in the dos days it was upwards to 500mb (dos executables/wads) on a dedicated 540mb hd. when i had my old 20 gig hd (before it died) it was around a gig or a little over of dos/windows executables and wads. but i also have several gigs of doom on cd's that i copy chunks over from when i get bored and need a few different wads to play.

My Doom folder is a whopping 84.2 megs size. My Doom2 folder is 368 megs.
I like Doom more, but Doom2 has more stuff in its folder. Heh.

My Doom folder is nearly 1 GB...I can't check right now, my new system awaits being finished.

All classic doom related material sums up to:

2.77GB of 7,333 files in 280 directories

directory of c:\games\doom

1.52gb, 5207 files, 47 folders

directory of c:\games\doomedit

154mb, 781 files, 38 folders

i also have sprites and textures spread across three other folders elsewhere adding up to a few hundred mb or so.

I don't have doom3

Holy crud. You guys are totally insane. How do you use that much space anyway? I've already scoured the downloads site of almost all the Top 100 levels...and pretty much everything mentioned in the 5 Years Top 10 Authors.

I also have Legacy and Doomsday.

I just like getting a hold of wads and then never getting rid of them when I'm done. :P

1.5 gig, 2004 files, used subst (X for incoming,Y wads,Z authors containing shortcuts to Y) on my laptop + 2kb in system32.

Bashe said:

I just like getting a hold of wads and then never getting rid of them when I'm done. :P

Same with me, except I just don't have that much. Does everyone have more source ports or massive editors that I don't know about?

I'd also like to try my hand at mapping again sometime, but apparently WADAuthor sucks and Wintex is so darn complicated...I only use that for tweaking things like musics. I still can't change some things, like how I might name level 2 "Power Station", then I load it with DooM ][, then when I press tab it still says "Underhalls."

My DooM folder (all my DooM stuff is in one folder, this does not include DooM 3):

4.42 Gigabytes
7,933 files
322 folders

Dron said:

good god, grazza, wtf do you keep in your doom folder?! O_o

Lots of wads downloaded over the last 11 years; Copies of the full demo archives from compet-n, DSDA, Dang, and /idgames; Multiple versions of several ports (with sources); Copies of the Doom file archives at cdtextfiles.com and miscellaneous other sites and from old CDs. There's some duplication in the 10 gigs - quite a lot of wads appear both zipped and unzipped.