Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikanoru

Do you ever play on Nightmare?

myk said:

Not sure how you mean, because Nightmare! skill doesn't affect the arrangement of things on the map, it just changes the monster behavior and provides more ammo, otherwise it's like skill 4. Skill 1 is similar (adds ammo and decreases damage to the Player but is otherwise like skill 2) and basically the game has three difficulty skills in relation to item placement; easy (Not too rough), medium (Hurt me plenty) and hard (Ultra-Violence.)

Actually, it is possible to have a different thing placement for skills 1 and 2 and skills 4 and 5, but it requires a bit of planning, patience, and ACS (gameskill()). It just isn't done very often, mainly because most authors figure that it isn't worth the effort since practically no one plays on skill 1 and only a few play on skill 5.

-_DLD_- said:

Unless Grazza makes an amazing, witty comeback (like many Mods have been known to do), I believe that's good game.

impse

Grazza: To be honest, I don't take the Nightmare diffculty level that seriously anyway. It's just somewhat of an added feature not meant to be played through all the way.

Texas Libra said:

Grazza: To be honest, I don't take the Nightmare diffculty level that seriously anyway. It's just somewhat of an added feature not meant to be played through all the way.

Ah but some people have. If I remember, there are demos of them too!

Not very often. I usually find UV too easy, but NM is too hard... maybe I should play -fast xor -respawn some more.

For some reason, I happen to prefer Duke3D on Damn I'm Good. I think it has to do with Duke being a more fast and furious shit-flying-all-over-the-place game in general.

So I made myself a .deh which I feel makes Doom a little more "fun", especially on Nightmare. I increased the ROFs of the Fist, Pistol, Shotguns, and Chaingun (the Fist and Pistol especially don't suck anymore), but decreased the Rocket Launcher ROF and gave most enemy attacks a speed boost to keep it more or less balanced. I also reduced all the characters to 1/4 their default mass, so sending people flying across rooms isn't exclusive to Doom Legacy anymore, but you can easily get knocked off narrow walkways.

I prefer the Marathon Trilogy on Total Carnage. The Hunters prettymuch gat plasma rounds at you, and Troopers prettymuch shower you with Rifle Grenades.

*brackbrackbrackbrackpipipipipipBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM*

ravage said:

Ah but some people have. If I remember, there are demos of them too!

I'm so happy I haven't seen that...but I know what it is. *shudder*

If I'm feeling particularly saucy I'll try speedrunning some map on nightmare mode, but it's a once-a-year-if-at-all event

Enjay said:

Sometimes the enemies hardly move, but just stand on the spot firing in a very unnatural way.

Yeah the monsters that don't have melee attacks become little more than gun turrets, although the demons and spectres are so sped up it's comically remindful of Benny Hill being chased through a park by an irate crowd!

-_DLD_- said:

I'm so happy I haven't seen that

Why? It's one of the most magnificent things you can see in a Doom engine.

I agree, it's the Doom equivalent of watching someone make a "perfect"* goal in football, or a maximum break in snooker.

* = Watch Saeed Al-Owairan's goal for Saudi Arabia against Belgium from the World Cup in 1994. You'd have to travel a million miles to see a better goal than that.

Grazza said:

Why? It's one of the most magnificent things you can see in a Doom engine.

I'm not disputing that, but it's just plain disgusting.

I may watch it when I get really bored, just to claim that I've seen it...and I can unleash it on unsuspecting friends if they piss me off.

Heh, point taken. I just hope we don't have snuff DooM pr0n or something...after something like Impse I could actually see that happening:

"Heh, thanks!" *blam!*

100% Kills, yeah!

I hardly ever play on NM, I don't really think it does much for gameplay, I prefer the classic sort of play where you can take your time over a map and fully explore it, so I always play on regular UV.

The best level for Nightmare in Doom 2 IMO is Dead simple with Coop! That rocks! Second best of course, would be tricks and traps. The "O" of destruction is also a good one. The reasoning behind these is that it doesn't take much to get back to where you need to be when you respawn.

pritch said:

I hardly ever play on NM, I don't really think it does much for gameplay, I prefer the classic sort of play where you can take your time over a map and fully explore it, so I always play on regular UV.

Me too. I like exploring every inch of the level I can, whilst killing everything and nabbing all the goodies.

Same with me. I like to feel complete and see Kills 100%, Items 100%, and Secrets 100%. I hate it when all 3 are below that.

I don't pay attention to the par time though.

Same here.

Stupid par. Unless you're Romero on crack, you're not going to beat the par time and have respectable health/ammo.

DarkFoxSoldier20 said:

Same with me. I like to feel complete and see Kills 100%, Items 100%, and Secrets 100%. I hate it when all 3 are below that.

In NM, it's not uncommon to have, say, 150% kills.

Donce said:

In NM, it's not uncommon to have, say, 150% kills.

I went on an IDDQD-fulled killorgy on D2M30 once and when I bothered to kill the Wall I had 7000% kills and such. Respawn monsters + Pain Elementals = FUN! (I used UV with respawn on, FYI.)

Nightmare mode is fun, especially MAP30, you have to do it really fast (less than 2 minutes) or else there's just too many of them. I also like killing myself at the start of a map when I finish the last one with 3% health. Fun!

I.

Did.

Not.

Need.

To.

See.

That.

EVER.

Oh well...at least now I think of more than one thing when somebody says "Cyber Sex". *shudders for three hours*

Oh boy, Scuba...if you weren't already on the Dark Side of gif animations, you are now =P

That being said...actually kinda funny compared to the other impse parodies.

I prefer the "nightmare" difficulty on Heretic, ie. fastmonsters with 150% of the normal ammo and no respawn.

The nightmare skill on Doom is just random, going to easier than UV in certain maps because of the ammo, to impossible in maps where you come back to the same areas several times.