Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Espi

It is done =D

Some people might remember I was working on a wad called One Hell of a Day. Started it like 5 years ago. Changed the name to Suspended in Dusk because of randomness, and I never liked the original name much.

Anyway, you can get it from here: http://koti.phnet.fi/repoes/wads/sid.zip

Enjoy~

I played the first map so far, and it's a quite desolate feeling over it. Nice job. It's sometimes a wee bit too gray though. :/

I just played the first map. Pretty intense for vanilla doom compatibility no less. I was suprised how intricately designed the base was. A no-nonsense wad if I've ever seen one.

Vanilla compatibility = works in all ports = works with weapon mods = works with Cold Hard Cash. That already gets it a high score in my book, but the awesome new textures and unique details make this one the wad of the year. And for visual appeal, this one just about unseats Sitters' wads.

Yikes, this is finally done =) Great work on this, it sure has a unique feel to it.

Downloading it now. From what these other guys have said I expect it to be nothing but the best :D

WildWeasel said:

Vanilla compatibility = works in all ports = works with weapon mods = works with Cold Hard Cash.

Stop stealing the words from my mouth, dammit! It's starting to hurt my throat.

Nice architecture/design and the extra textures blended well with the Doom 2 stock. My only complaint would be most of the areas were too cramped.

Edit: The animated liquid flats & textures don't look too hot.

Pretty good work, Espi! :D
Look kinda like ultimate doom with some doom2 mixed in.

I played the first map so far. Quite nice, for I think it has sort of an Darkening E2 feel to it. If only that rock texture wasn't so gray...

So far, this map set reminds me of Doom 3, Episode 2, and maybe the Darkening. It has a nice mixture of themes that keep it fresh and exciting, such as the tech base carved into the mountain that is map 1, while map 2 is some kind of "toxin plant" with huge spires looming above in the main outside area and catwalks above bottomless pits in the indoor sections, among other things.

Does map 03 have an exit trigger? I've found the exit door, but there's only a short dead end behind that.

Maybe a little too maze-ish for me, but otherwise a great wad so far.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I thought that was still the in-thing?

I think what he meant was that some people don't appreciate vanilla compatibility like they should.

Dittohead said:

I think what he meant was that some people don't appreciate vanilla compatibility like they should.

Quite the opposite. Vanilla sucks usually, and I was impressed to see a mapset that was vanilla compatible but looked as impressive as anything in more advanced source ports.

Graf Zahl said:

I appreciate good levels, not the minimum engine specifications they were made for.

It takes skill to build levels that are designed to run on minimum engine specs while maintaining a high quality.

It takes the same level of skill to make a good level for a port without restrictions. I hate the "vanilla = better" mentality. Anyone who uses the original exe TWELVE YEARS after the initial release is a fool. It runs in vanilla, great, it's not like anyone is stupid enough to run doom2.exe -file sid.wad

Espi's map is great because it has gorgeous aesthetics, brilliant artwork and fantastic architecture. It has nothing to do with vanilla compatibility, however impressive that might be.

Espi: you mappin' beast you ^___^

Scuba Steve said:

It runs in vanilla, great, it's not like anyone is stupid enough to run doom2.exe -file sid.wad

Your cool factor went down a notch.