Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Advent Doom Calendar for December 2005

Tormentor667 said:

WADs for the local dump!

Nevertheless, looks like I have to create a Boom compatible map somehow... :( Very said but true...

@Torn - Everyone has ZDoom, don't think that this is a big problem at all!

You'll survive. And no, not everyone has or even likes to use ZDoom.

Tormentor667 said:

WADs for the local dump!

Nevertheless, looks like I have to create a Boom compatible map somehow... :( Very said but true...

@Torn - Everyone has ZDoom, don't think that this is a big problem at all!

Well, my main standpoint is clear. Sorry, but thats the way. Many people prefer to use sourceports like prboom, legacy and etc... I don't really want to miss those folks.

Shtbag667 said:

Since zdoom is out of the question then count me out. I'm sorry but I don't have any ideas for a vanilla map.

You could always do a map just for Zdoom and then at the very end take out all the zdoom features. Might take away a few good elements of your level but it could work out if you apply some effort to it.

zap610 said:
Could we replace the sky?

Torn said:
Well, I guess so for the single map. But not for the megawad.

As far as true Boom compatibility goes, it's not possible to change the sky for a single map, since Boom deals with skies like Doom does (per episode.) Though nowadays most "Boom compatible" engines handle features that do allow it, either the MapInfo lump for the whole map (ZDoom, Eternity and Legacy use it, as far as I know) or MBF's linedefs 271 or 272, which transfer an upper texture to the sky of a sector (PrBoom uses it, and I've heard ZDoom does, at least.)

myk said:

as far as I know) or MBF's linedefs 271 or 272, which transfer an upper texture to the sky of a sector (PrBoom uses it, and I've heard ZDoom does, at least.)

The only 'Boom compatible' port that doesn't have it is Legacy. But the only side effect would be that the custom sky doesn't get displayed.

But then, Boom compatible would also imply voodoo doll tricks and they rule out Legacy also.

i'm all for boom compatibility, me, so to clarify: are we allowed non-Legacy boom features? (me likes voodoo scripting).

Alright, I think I'll convert my map to Boom format - I'll be testing with ZDoom, though, if that makes any difference.

OOO...this sounds fun! One problem is that I can't really make anything without birthday suit textures though (unless someone is willing to WADify some textures for me.)

So, think you could add me to the list?

cycloid said:

i'm all for boom compatibility, me, so to clarify: are we allowed non-Legacy boom features? (me likes voodoo scripting).

Yeah, I would think so. It's not the mappers' fault that Legacy doesn't support voodoo dolls or the sky linetypes in its current incarnation, so feel free to utilize voodoo dolls et al.

jetflock said:
ah, so legacy users WILL be left behind. That sucks.

OMG, conspiracy!

Don't the betas or alphas of the upcoming versions have vodoo doll support already? And if the sky linedef thingy isn't being added, it's merely visual, like Graf Zahl said already.

Make them finish v2.0 quicker, then you get your voodoo dolls again. But why limit a project due to a source port that will become obsolete in its current form rather sooner than later?

Legacy sucks anyway. We shouldn't have to piddle around waiting on them to release versions of Legacy so they can use features that as far as I know EVERY other source port has.

Began the map a couple days ago
Winter themed
Called Satan's Village. No screenshots right now. I might throw in some Boom features with Doom Builder at the end, but probably not.

Most of yesterday's mapping session was spent fixing things up for Boom - I standardized my door types, fixed a couple of switches, repaired a few texturing errors and things I missed (like upping the lighting levels in a few sectors that I missed - I originally had darkened the entire map so I could use Edge's dynamic lights, but naturally this wouldn't work in Boom, so I switched back to sector lighting here).

I decided my map looks better with a daytime setting anyway, so I wouldn't want to reinstate the floor lighting in the initial outdoor area.

All I have to do here is plan out a route for the player to go through, then I can start placing locked doors and their corresponding keys. Once the player can stroll through the level without cheating, I'll start adding monsters and (maybe) secrets.

I'll help, but I'd probably make a boss fight level, I'm good at those :D I just need time to detail it, and sometimes get it working properly, BTW I use GZDoom so will that effect anything?

KingofFlames said:

BTW I use GZDoom so will that effect anything?

Uhh, yeah; you would know if you had read just a few pages back:

Bloodshedder said:

NO ZDOOM FEATURES. ALL MAPS MUST BE BOOM-COMPATIBLE.

I'm back online, but my computer is broken at the moment. So I don't know when to be online until it have be fixed. See ya later. :)