Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

EE 3.33.03 Progress Report Part II

Just a progress report on the next release, which will be coming really soon. I believe I've done more work in the past two weeks than during the last year, if you can believe that O_O

This will be an abridged summary of my recent changelog postings, for those who cannot bear to read the whole thing ;)

• 1S 3DMidTex switches won't crash the game any more.
  • Mapthing height field added to ExtraData to mirror Hexen map format. I think this might help you with the 3DMidTex problems, Mordeth. We'll have to see.
  • Shadowed text drawing added for Heretic.
  • leveltype field added to MapInfo to allow overriding the default map translation for a gamemode; in other words, use Eternity doomednums & line specials in Heretic instead of Heretic's numbers. Joel -- this will help me implement your CoD sector types.
  • 17 parameterized ceiling specials added, 1 new floor special added, param stairs implementation has begun.
  • Bug in quad column flush fixed.
  • Menu system overhaul begun. Multipage menus added back.
  • Better text colrngs for Heretic.
  • Boxed string HUD widgets added for Small scripting.
  • Better font selection mechanism for internal code and for scripting.
  • Translation tables added to resource wads to enable use of DOOM or Heretic sprites in the opposite game without editing the graphics.
  • Custom character graphics added to Heretic small font improved.
  • Application state and focus tracking code from Chocolate DOOM allows Eternity to release the mouse when not in use and to avoid rendering the screen when minimized.
  • ENDOOM support restored with Chocolate DOOM code; removed "Press any key to continue" message except when an error actually occurs, unless waitAtExit is set on -- defaults to off now.
  • "Heretic hack mode" removed, no more -heretic. You can use heretic.wad as the IWAD now. Numerous improvements made to remove references to all DOOM resources when playing Heretic (except player guns & sounds, TODO).
  • Heretic shareware mode bugs fixed.

And some more stuff -- work on the revised menu system, the final major goal for 3.33.03 release, is progressing. Multipage menu support has been restored, along with new enhancements that allow you to open a table of contents for such menus and jump to any page, something BOOM/MBF only dreamed of having.

Also, I've created generalized box widgets for the menu system so that other types of menu and command lists can be displayed.

Some pics:

http://doomworld.com/eternity/shots/table_of_contents.png
http://doomworld.com/eternity/shots/videomode_tbl.png

Good to hear about the Heretic support updates. I'm going to officially transfer my Heretic episodes to Eternity now.

Love the port.

Don't want to be a bother but any chance the iffy mouselook will get fixed?

At the moment this is my favourite port and perfect mouselook might just make it perfect. :)

Yeah, don't count on it. He rewrote the mouselook code a few versions ago because it was sloppy and full of hacks. I don't like how it functions now so much either, but I think I can live with it.

And just one minor visual criticism: doesn't using that grey border on the menu look slightly odd when the background behind it is grey too? In the second shot it looks kind of weird in places, like where the slider is cut off.

udderdude said:

Yay. :O

Heh I was wondering if you'd see that. Yeah, portals have fixed just about every design/lack-of-detail annoyance I've had in certain revamps, especially the first map. Now I just need to find some nice big flag textures to animate.

I just noticed that the crosshair is one pixel too high and one pixel too much to the left.

That's what happens when you play around with whacked and wintex for a few hours trying to line up a graphic. :)

Just one thing... do you provide a linux binary?
<rant>Randy seems "too busy" to do a good one for zDoom that will compile without sourcecode patching(sp?).</rant>

EDIT: The next engine goes down the win32 drain :-(

Eternity doesn't currently actively support linux due to my not having a linux box for testing and compiling on. I am thinking about trying to set one up on my older computer, but this is neither high priority nor an exciting idea to me so it could be quite a while.

If you beg him a lot, fraggle might compile a linux version for you ^_^ He's done it several times before in the past, only ever having to change a couple of lines of code at the most.