Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

Doom2 Episode 1 One Handed

Reading through the 'Speedrun categories I'd like to see' thread I kinda liked the idea of running through a megawad using only one hand. To this end I have created this which was done using only one hand. Since I have absolutely no doom skills when it comes to non tas/built demo's this is done in easiest mode (yeh I know I'm lame). I should state that I WASN'T masturbating through during the creation of this demo but I guess you could if you wanted to but might distract you a bit. I only did one attempt of this so I encourage people to try it on Doom/Doom2 and other megawads even if you do it on easiest mode as I'd love to see some.

I should mention that my controls are set to standard with the arrow keys as move, control shoot and spacebar activate. I have to keep moving my hand to hit spacebar which gets really annoying since I then have to find the arrow keys again REALLY slowing me down. Also as this was recorded on prboom I accidentally hit the 180 degree turn button once but I'm not about to redo the replay over it since it didn't impact gameplay at all.

RamboBones said:
I accidentally hit the 180 degree turn button once but I'm not about to redo the replay over it since it didn't impact gameplay at all.

That's not an issue anyway since it's like using dks050, which isn't normally prohibited (e.g., COMPET-N states "Various DOOM spinning utilities are allowed.")

entryway said:

using only one hand
%))
why not on nightmare skill? %)

Did you miss the part where I said I suck at Domm when it doesn't involve TAS or Built ;). I'd love to see a one handed nightmare replay from you without using any TAS abilities ;)

I've got to _hand_ it to ya, that's sounds like a rough idea... shoot, you could give me one of those 5+ buttoned mice and I'd have a tough time.
btw, Cervantes mode, by the Great Vrooomer, is where you only use the mouse.. so that is one-handed.
Not many of those demos around since you have to be into self-torture to even try it. :)

a 3 buttons mouse can get you out of most situations :)
LMB = fire
MMB = strafe on
RMB = walk forward

for a few backward steps pull you mouse down
and for opening doors double click RMB

Just tried a few runs in this fashion using prboom on skill 4. Interesting results.

Control scheme:
Mouse 1: Fire
Mouse 2: Forward/Use
Mouse 3: Strafe

As anyone can image, strafing is a little bit of a problem. It just feels very unnatural to me to strafe with the mouse. But Im sure that with enough practice, a few good runs could be achieved.

Weapon switching is another issue. I guess I could set mouse 3 to cycle forward. Alternative, one could just avoid picking up certain weapons unless they need them, but that seems unfeasible.

I made it to E1M4 without much difficulty but the blue door maze becomes a problem (couldnt do the yellow key jump). I also tried E2M8 for kicks. It isnt hard fighting the cybie one-hamded but it does require some patience.

Maybe I'll post an Ep1 ultraviolence run after some practice.

Edit: Oh yeah, trying to keep my other hand from pressing any keys ends up sapping away some of my attention too. So that's yet something else to contend with.

Whilst I admire people getting into this I still think it should be done using only the default control setup (otherwise I"d just move my movement keys up to wsad and then have fire, activate and the weapons all within easy reach) but having it on default makes it alot harder since you have to move your hand around. Using a mouse with lots of buttons is just lame if you ask me ;). Of course that's just a personal preference but I really do think it adds to the challenge. I think I might try some ultra violence runs on doom2 and see if I can get one episode done (should be more entertaining than kiddy easy mode).

RamboBones said:

Using a mouse with lots of buttons is just lame if you ask me ;)

Nah, just a different restriction. Someone who had beaten the game using just their nose, or with a pair of chopsticks*, might find the way you did it lame. :p

If the category is being described as "one-handed", then it should mean literally that, with any one-handed control set-up acceptable.

<small>* Says he, who has just had an embarrassing experience trying to pick up spring rolls with chopsticks.</small>

Someone who had beaten the game using just their nose

There's inspiration...is it commendable to record a demo of me beating E1M1 using only my chin?