Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

Just finished reading the Doom movie novel *WARNING* Possible Major Movie Spoilers

As Doom fans, we are going to be disappointed. It seems like it may be a bad ass movie, but not a very good Doom movie. There is no Hell, there is no Hell dimension, there is NO OTHER DIMENSION WHAT-SO-EVER. The wormhole portal (called The Ark) is used only as a "teleporter" between Earth and Mars even though I'm sure it can be used to go elsewhere, it isn't used that way, just a quick means of getting back and forth from Earth and Mars. There are no actual teleporters on Mars. ALL the "monsters" are genetic mutations of human beings. It is not a virus but it IS a mutation. The scientists on Mars created some synthetic chromosomes (the last part of the discovered human genome) and injected it into one test subject, "a paranoid schizophrenic with convictions for multiple murders and pedophilia." He was condemned to be executed but I guess they handed him over to the UAC to do research on. Anyway, they injected the synthetic chromosome into him and he turns into a Hell Knight. The whole predetermined "evil" gene and "good" gene IS in the book and based upon the person, it determines whether they will turn into a genetic monster (evil) or a genetic superhuman (good). That's why this man turns into a Hell Knight (instead of an imp) because of how evil he is. The imps are all just scientists who got infected by the Hell Knight when it escaped and killed them. But the imps can also spread it and do spread it throughout the book. The imps apparently infect only those with the "evil" gene in them (they can sense it some how) and kill any one else. Also, I'm sad to say no fireballs at all. So, the only monsters are pre-imps ("half-turned" as they refer to them because they are not fully imps yet but are in the process of becoming one), imps, Hell Knight (I believe there are 2 but I'm not positive), 1 pinky demon, and evil Sarge. And the end battle is just a hand-to-hand fight between "superhuman" Reaper (good) and superhuman Sarge (evil) as he mutates. Kind of a cool fight though cuz they're superhuman. They start off with weapons but are very low on ammo and decide to do it "Old school" as Sarge refers to it. There is a big explosion at the end though (big surprise). As a Doom fan, I am disappointed but I'm a sucker so I will still probably go see it just to see life-like imps, pinky demon, and Hell Knight/s. If anyone wants to know anything else, just ask and I'll let you know.

I figured all this by the trailer. Guy screams when injected. The book could be different in some scenes but this about sounds like a solid movie. I don't care about what they do with this movie at all, its what people are going to think about Doom that gets me. Now we have fans of the games and noobs from the movie in the community.

Any classic monsters make a guest appearance or at least any Mancubi, revenants, lost souls, or arch viles (in classic or doom 3 form)?

GOD DAMN MOTHER HELL!!!! I'm not seeing it. I might rent it. Screw that. I'll just borrow it from a friend who was dumb enough to buy a copy.

Sorry to anyone looking forward to this.

Well, only one in two million people has what we call the "evil gene". Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it, and Freddy Quimby has it.

Damn, kinda sucked all the energy out of me reading your post. What a let down, that really sucks ass. What about the ancient race of super humans that existed on mars before, isn't that where they found the last ten percent of the genome? And that race was destroyed by an unknown force(hell?) Perhaps the evil genome came from that unknown force. Someone else who read the same book mentioned this as being part of the plot. I'm still gonna go see it, just cause it's doom and I'm a sucker ass bitch, just wish they couldn've stayed just a little more faithful to the doom universe. Mutations? NO, that's a big no no and should've been thrown out pronto. I wouldn've preferred these creatures in the movies just being of unknown origin, and they were coming through portals. They didn't have to mention hell at all, just no virus-like crap. Plus, over at the doom movie official website, it claims these creatures are of unknown origin. WTF!! LIARS!!!!

Linguica said:

Well, only one in two million people has what we call the "evil gene". Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it, and Freddy Quimby has it.

Hey, I'm sure Walt was a nice guy. It's the guys that got ahold of his company that likely had the gene. :/

It's unfortunate that whoever is responsible for the DOOM movie (I can't remember production company) isn't taking it to the full level, ie Hellspawn etc., but something tells me that wouldn't have worked.

It's all about the marketing. Your Average Joe Who Doesn't Play Games But Likes to See Action Movies probably just wants to kill some aliens and mutants. ID4 was a blockbuster in its day. Would it have been if the aliens came from our darkest nightmares rather than the darkest reaches of space?

We fear our subconscious. We fear the afterlife, both the concepts of Heaven and Hell. We don't know it, we haven't experienced it. We have no [empirical] information about it. To think that Hell may have monsters like this . . . Well, DOOM could have easily been misconstrued as some very strange and warped attempt by so-called fundamentalist Christians to get people to convert. Because, otherwise, this is is what awaits you!

That, and it's a general consensus that, at least in the movie world, you can't kill demons from Hell with conventional -- or even furutistic energy -- weapons. You have to exorcise them. Exorcist, Hellblazer, Exorcism of Emily Rose, anyone? Okay, maybe Hellblazer had some weapons (I sadly haven't yet seen it), but they were all based on some religious symbol I think.

And as bad as it was, Van Helsing is still worth mentioning; Van Helsing was unable to kill the vampire harpies until he dipped his crossbow bolts into holy water.

So I guess these random things I've heard about the movie actually being like Doom are bullshit. Then again, we were never given 100% confirmation that the movie was going to have demons and Hell and whathaveyou.

Regardless of what the movie is, I now know the plot. Thanks. You saved me $20.

Linguica said:

Wasn't Walt a nazi sympathizer?

They need some impse to learn how interesting the demons can be.
Er.. forget that.
Movies based in video games allways suck mainly because they get away of the original plot (some times far away, like the movie based in certain Nintendo hero that jumps over turtles), they never learn. Still as a DOOM fun I feel some need to see it with my eyes. Probably I'll drop a coin to decide if I go to see it, or download it with th-e mule.

baronofhell, the race that previously existed on Mars, they were destroyed the same way as it happened on Mars in the present. Some of their people turned into genetic monsters and killed everybody.

Well if this movie does good, sequels are said to be in the works. And I believe the sequel will probably get "beneath the surface" as to what is really going on. Where this "evil" genome came from and all.

The psychological aspects of the plot are very interesting. The idea that we can mutate to a form based on our morals and beliefs is intriguing. That our own sense of good and evil can (literally) shape who we are. If this weren't Doom, it'd be a fantastic plot. But this is Doom, and a Doom movie is supposed to be about hell, demons, and Mars. Only one of those things is present, unless you count the mutations as being our own personal demons brought to life. I dunno, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I'm still gonna see it for sure though.

Technician said:

I figured all this by the trailer. Guy screams when injected. The book could be different in some scenes but this about sounds like a solid movie. I don't care about what they do with this movie at all, its what people are going to think about Doom that gets me. Now we have fans of the games and noobs from the movie in the community.

It's been a while scince someone uploaded a "cool" level of a single room with 10,000 Cyberdemons in it. :D

GoatLord said:

The psychological aspects of the plot are very interesting. The idea that we can mutate to a form based on our morals and beliefs is intriguing. That our own sense of good and evil can (literally) shape who we are. If this weren't Doom, it'd be a fantastic plot. But this is Doom, and a Doom movie is supposed to be about hell, demons, and Mars. Only one of those things is present, unless you count the mutations as being our own personal demons brought to life. I dunno, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I'm still gonna see it for sure though.

I would've liked to see the movie take place in a base with simaler style of the first two Doom games. Or maybe a
Doom/Doom 3 hybrid. The genetic mutation
plot also seems a bit too corny and cliche. Oh well, I'll probaly see it anyway. :)

(also, I get that warm fuzzy feeling everytime I see the Doom logo plastered on the sides of a bus and on billboards here in Los Angeles. :)

balanco01 said:

It's been a while scince someone uploaded a "cool" level of a single room with 10,000 Cyberdemons in it. :D

Or a Cyberdemon stuck in a pit.

doom movie == resident evil on mars ie LAME.

But of course, they didn't make the movie for the gamers, they made it for an entire agegroup for the moolah.