Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkfanatic

Just finished reading the Doom movie novel *WARNING* Possible Major Movie Spoilers

This movie wouldn't sound half as bad if the imps threw fireballs god damn it!!!! And where's the damn shotgun!!! They say it isn't doom without the chainsaw? CHAINSAW??? More like the shotgun!!!

No. NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

F*** this. F*** hollywood.

I refuse to see this total piece of s***.
All Doom fans should boycott this garbage.

I mean honestly---they took the WHOLE PREMISE OF DOOM
and threw it out the window!!! WTF?!?

Texas Libra said:

Where/when the Hell do YOU live?

Are you kidding me? $8 per ticket, $3 water, $4 popcorn, plus gas... going to the movies is an investment nowadays. Going to see this movie is a BAD investment. If ever I have the morbid curiosity to see this movie, I'll just find someone else who already has it.

mkfanatic said:

They start off with weapons but are very low on ammo and decide to do it "Old school" as Sarge refers to it.

PLease tell me Reaper gets a berserk pack and starts rambling, "Rip and Tear You are huge, tha means you have huge guts! Rip and Tear your guts!

balanco01 said:

(also, I get that warm fuzzy feeling everytime I see the Doom logo plastered on the sides of a bus and on billboards here in Los Angeles. :)

Yay, I'm not the only one! But I guess I'm the only one that starts squeaking "DOOM, DOOM!" in some squrriel'ish/Invader Zim-type voice.

ravage said:

But of course, they didn't make the movie for the gamers, they made it for an entire agegroup for the moolah.

Exactly. It'd be great if they 'could' make the movie for those of us hardcore gamers that DEMAND Hell and Mars and all that good stuff, but as I said earlier, there aren't many people who are going to want to see that.

I think Peter Jackson or Guillermo del Toro should direct the sequel. Or, ooh! M. Night Shayamalan can make a movie from the aliens/hellspawn/mutants/WTFEVAR point of view!

Marty Razor Kirra said:

PLease tell me Reaper gets a berserk pack and starts rambling, "Rip and Tear You are huge, tha means you have huge guts! Rip and Tear your guts!

Hell yeah! And don't forget his constant self-conversations!

Guardian said:
It'd be great if they 'could' make the movie for those of us hardcore gamers that DEMAND Hell and Mars and all that good stuff, but as I said earlier, there aren't many people who are going to want to see that.

They could have; it would simply have made another type of movie. Even The Lord of the Rings had demons or similar entities (like Sauron, the Balrog and the 9 ringwraiths,) and the Star Wars series is basically SciFa. Many movies that sold well have contained demons even as the main theme; even most vampire movies are about accursed or wholly malignant beings... take From Dust till Dawn.

With stuff like this you either aim for a cult style movie with a solid production or a bastardization that's aimed at promoting (or coordinating with) a series of toys, games and other franchise based junk. It's a matter of economical focus, either rape something quickly for the juice it's ganined from some other momentum (the games in this case), or build something that can hold value over time.

And if they wanted to avoid making the movie too creepy they could have added in dark humor and a bit of absurdity (DOOM 3 ruined that a bit with its pretentious theme, but it's clearly part of DOOM.)

I'm telling you! We oughta go independent film on their asses. Load up zdoom and start making a machanimation movie with camera angles and what not. That would be awesome.

............(sigh)

Well, I got the book and I'm on the part when Marines set off to mars using the UAC's "ARK" wormhole from earth...........!??! ARK WORMHOLE!!??? FROM EARTH!!????? What the FFFKK!!! There is NO WAY I'M GONNA SEE THIS MOVIE at the theaters!!

What really hurts me about all this that "id" was right there overseeing the movie's progress too. I always felt the movie is going to bomb, But it's acually WORST than what I feared!! After reading what you've wrote, I don't even want to finish reading the DAMN novel!! This movie is going to hurt the DOOM franchise BADD!!!I bet this movie will be OUTTA the theaters in a skip and back on DVD by Christmas, maybe even Thanksgiving!!

Well the only way id would be able to restore "DOOM's" damaged integrety and franchise is to have it made in a mature "ANIMATED MOVIE". I prefer by a Japanese anime corp. Why I choose japanese to make it and not american? Simple, Just view the new "Appleseed" movie for an example, or any of the old school anime like Wind ninja scroll, streetfighter, akira, Jin Roh, etc etc... The Japanese are far more divisive in their styles of anime than we are. And also we won't have to worry about religous fundamentalist pricks bitching. I'm sure the japs don't worry about such nonsense. Just look at their movies and their freaky perception about good/evil heaven/hell, demons and whatnot. I know they'll just cut loose on a movie like DOOM.

Another idea just came to me. Even though it would be one hell of a long shot. I'd wish id would somehow restore the "CLASSIC DOOM" franchise by way of somehow restoring "Ultimate Doom" and "Doom2" into a completed form. By this I mean is creating and implamenting 2D sprite versions of former UAC colonists in the ultimate doom episodes. Like the UAC workers, lab techs, maintenance eng, security guards, toxic wastes eng, and creating other sprite characters for the doom2 episode like survivor/mutant cops, firemen, hospital/releaf workers and all kinds of ragged type civilians.

Well, it's just an idea. cuz I still luv my classic doom. And I still refer it as the TRUE DOOM!!! Even over DOOM3.

Is it one of those books that is cut down for 3 year olds, y'know like Jurassic Park III's book adaptation.

(More or less what was in the book) Grant was looking for dinosaurs, with the researchers / One of the evil bodygaurds who hitted Grant was etted by a T-Rex / and den Grant was chaced with his friend by a small T-Rex because his friend stole a small T-Rex egg.

If the book has any one of the following criteria:

-features action shots on it's cover
-contains shots of the film in the centre pages
-it is thinner than the average note pad
-or the writing is similar to the above extract (I mean cutting down and dumbing the story elements to get straight at the action)

Then I am not worried at all. I might be clutching at straws but I have not yet read a movie to book adaptation that wasn't pure shit and had anything to do with the real plot.

myk said:

They could have; it would simply have made another type of movie. Even The Lord of the Rings had demons or similar entities (like Sauron, the Balrog and the 9 ringwraiths,) and the Star Wars series is basically SciFa. Many movies that sold well have contained demons even as the main theme; even most vampire movies are about accursed or wholly malignant beings... take From Dust till Dawn.

True, but in LOTR there were no overt/obvious references to Hell. Call me an idiot, but I didn't realize LOTR had any Christian elements until I started seeing books titled Finding God in the Lord of the Rings at my store. Same thing goes for Star Wars. It is, first, an entertaining movie, and possibly theological/philosophical second.

As for vampire movies and such, I've actually never considered them having any connection to any religious themes (despite the fact that many show victims making use of the crucifix to ward off evil; I find that more a 'cheap parlor trick' than actually paying any homage to any religion).

With stuff like this you either aim for a cult style movie with a solid production or a bastardization that's aimed at promoting (or coordinating with) a series of toys, games and other franchise based junk. It's a matter of economical focus

Exactly my point. Whoever's responsible for this production, they went for big-budget, big-name, big-(enterseason/holiday/eventhere). DOOM, as it is, does not get the best of media attention. So that's already a rather large hurdle to make. And now add in that these people are fighting Hellspawn? As of this point, that's a marketing nightmare. The company went "safe" with this one, and in doing so it has appeared to have let a load of us hardcore gamers/DOOMies down.

tsareppsun said:

This movie is going to hurt the DOOM franchise BADD!!!

I disagree. While it's pretty obvious the movie is going to be on big damn bust, I don't think it's going to terribly damage the franchise. Look at us. We all know the movie is going to suck; are we all still playing the game itself and the mods other people are making?

Janderson said:

-features action shots on it's cover --- No; it looks like a copy of a generic movie poster w/ the actors/actresses flanking the sides and the title taking up most of the cover
-contains shots of the film in the centre pages --- No movie shots that I could see
-it is thinner than the average note pad --- It looks respectably long. I'll bet it's supposed to be a one-day beach-read

Then I am not worried at all. I might be clutching at straws but I have not yet read a movie to book adaptation that wasn't pure shit and had anything to do with the real plot.

ID4's book adaptation was actually pretty good, and a good 300+ pages if I remember correctly.

It's a mixture of Aliens and The Fly, that somehow received the name DOOM.

Then there will be n00bs that play the games and say "hey, it's not a full adaption to the movie, wtf, what are these fireballs, why are so many pinkys, what happened with the wheelchair, why are lots of hell knights?".

Hey Guardian, you ever seen Dracula 2000? That had a BIG connection to religion. You don't really find out till the end though.

Guardian said:

ID4's book adaptation was actually pretty good, and a good 300+ pages if I remember correctly.

300... not 75?.......... ok I'm worried! But hey, at least now we might have a respectable Doom book out there, huh?

Guardian said:
Same thing goes for Star Wars. It is, first, an entertaining movie, and possibly theological/philosophical second.

I mentioned those because of the mix of fantasy and science fiction. All in all I have the impression that producers often think that their movies have to be realistic, especially when they're being rather conservative, especially economically; like when they don't want to take chances. That also fits in with a certain modern conception of horror:

S.T. Joshi wrote:
What Lovecraft hoped to convey was the utter mystery of a cosmos of which we can grasp only the smallest fraction in our tiny solar system. This is not a mystical position, for as a materialist Lovecraft was well aware that our sensory limitations prevent us from ever probing fully the depths of the universe. As an enthusiast of science he believed that fiction--even (indeed, especially) weird fiction--must obey the most recent findings of biology, chemistry, and physics. Gone were the days when a writer could get much mileage out of the conventional vampire, ghost, or werewolf: these stock figures too clearly defied scientific fact as we know it, and they could no longer pass the test of verisimilitude. For Lovecraft, Weird fiction must present "supplements rather than contradictions of the visible & measurable universe" (Selected Letters III, 295-96), and must also rely on "subtle suggestion" rather than plain statement to convince the skeptical reader that the impossible is actually occurring.

And that is something that has worked out quite fine on many movies (such as the Aliens series, The Thing, and others) but then again in a number of recent movies it shows up really badly with a predictable and boring sequence I'd call the Discovery Channel moment.

As for vampire movies and such, I've actually never considered them having any connection to any religious themes (despite the fact that many show victims making use of the crucifix to ward off evil; I find that more a 'cheap parlor trick' than actually paying any homage to any religion).

Right, but DOOM's also pretty much like that. DOOM 3 less so, but still somewhat so. Basically it was concieved with a "fun and games" attitude in mind by a detatched D&D gamemaster and wizkid, an carefree video game fan, an artist with a fancy for gore, and a devout mormon who knew a lot about Lovecraftian literature.

It's still to be seen how well or how badly the movie plays... because like in the case of a game, we won't fully know until it's released; and there's when we'll know why they didn't directly include Hell; either because they did have a relatively consistent concept to follow or because they were merely following trends and avoiding what they felt would possibly cut profit. Generally you either avoid the worst or go for the best, depending on whether you're mediocre or competent.

I wouldn't necessarily trash it for removing doomish elements, unless they did so for the wrong reasons.

mkfanatic said:

Hey Guardian, you ever seen Dracula 2000? That had a BIG connection to religion. You don't really find out till the end though.

I have not. If it's rentable maybe I'll take a peek at it.

Janderson said:

300... not 75?.......... ok I'm worried! But hey, at least now we might have a respectable Doom book out there, huh?

Now you got me curious . . . And oh my God, I can't believe how much I trashed my books "back then." Wow, this thing is just -- wow. Anyway, ID4's book adaptation is a respectable 280 pages and while yes, it does have movie scenes, the book still added elements that weren't necessarily in the film itself.

myk said:

Right, but DOOM's also pretty much like that. DOOM 3 less so, but still somewhat so. Basically it was concieved with a "fun and games" attitude in mind by a detatched D&D gamemaster and wizkid, an carefree video game fan, an artist with a fancy for gore, and a devout mormon who knew a lot about Lovecraftian literature.

Yes, at the time of the original development for DOOM, these people were going for the fun of it. And it was successful. And it brought shitloads of nasty media upon them, too, for their Hellish elements. Not that I'm complaing about it. I loved watching my dad beat the crap out of alien forces. I'm just trying to look at this from a producers point of view, and it appears that, as you have said, they're trying to avoid "the worst."

Guardian said:

Now you got me curious . . .

Curious? How so? You think theres a chance the book won't follow too closey to the film?

And oh my God, I can't believe how much I trashed my books "back then." Wow, this thing is just -- wow.

Y'know I said the same thingafter reading Jarrasic Park: Lost World.

Janderson said:

Curious? How so? You think theres a chance the book won't follow too closey to the film?

Curious as in just how many pages were in the ID4 book adaptation. "Back then," 280 pages seemed a lot thicker than it does now. :-P

Y'know I said the same thingafter reading Jarrasic Park: Lost World.

Maybe I'll scan in just how badly I used to handle my books. I mean, just by general traveling, the binding is completely flattened out, the cover is worn on the corners, bent, dented, and ripped up on the spine . . . Oh, and one of the movie image pages is coming out.

Oh, get this. Price was 5.99 Imagine that.

Guardian said:
Oh, and one of the movie image pages is coming out.

Eh, that reminds me of the only movie novelization I have, since it also has loose movie pic pages; a copy of The Dark Crystal novel.

Heh, you didn't ever see it?

Wait, neither did I. But then again a movie with both Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum can't be too good...

Linguica said:

Well, only one in two million people has what we call the "evil gene". Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it, and Freddy Quimby has it.

Hey you stop that,Only Family Guy quotes are popular now! Simpsons quotes died with the wav file!

Guardian said:

Maybe I'll scan in just how badly I used to handle my books. I mean, just by general traveling, the binding is completely flattened out, the cover is worn on the corners, bent, dented, and ripped up on the spine . . . Oh, and one of the movie image pages is coming out.

Aggh! You barbarian! :-P Heh, ever since I messed up my JP: Lost World book - the cover decimated, the spine held together with tape, the plelude and the ending peges...MIA (but the cover was still there so I don't know whats been going on!) - I began to barely open them, refused to use bookmarks or place the cover on wet or dusty surfaces. But now I'm so careful of my books it enrages me when someone opens them too wide or drops them. Damn Their Eyes!

Janderson said:

Aggh! You barbarian! :-P

I know, I amaze myself. Good Lord, I love books; I love to read, and this is how I'd treat them?

Since becoming a bookseller, I've grown up a lot. ;) Now my books are all nice and pretty.