Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Chocolate Doom

fraggle said:

Can do!

EDIT: Done. I really need to get a new release out already.

Thanks!

fraggle said:

I could maybe add some special option that gives the screen a couple of seconds to settle after changing modes.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

Oddness. Just to try, I typed -turbo 400 in the ZDL commandline. When I press shift all movements keys are reversed, strafe left is strafe right. And forward key makes me go back, but only when I hold shift. I very rarely ever use -turbo anything, i thnk most people dont use it much either. So I dont think it matters much.

I have almost pinpointed where Chocolate corrupts my save files. Ill post back when I figure it out.

Grazza said:
The maximum value for turbo is 255. Values larger than that are interpreted as negative values.

Turbo 400 seems to work when you're walking, but if you hit the run key you move backwards at the standard running speed (not sped up). Maybe the maximum is 400 but gets messed up running as that would make it more than the 400 limit. All this according to what I sense ingame. And Chocolate Doom behaves normally.

myk said:
but if you hit the run key you move backwards at the standard running speed (not sped up).

Strafing is also reversed when running, but oddly it's quick, unlike back/forth movement, yet apparently not faster than strafing while walking (all at turbo 400).

Well OK, -turbo 255 is the maximum value that works in the way that you would expect it to.

I presume walking and -turbo 400 is viewed by the engine as if you were running with -turbo 200, and that the problem occurs as soon as you try to feed it "GF128" (etc.) or greater.

Yes, in general the speed of strafing doesn't seem to be related to the turbo setting quite as one might expect, but I haven't investigated it too much myself (I only looked at it briefly when suggesting a "speed strolling" category, whereby one can strafe in addition to walking).

Janizdreg said:

Does Chocolate Doom only playback MUSes and not MIDIs? It seems at least Alien Vendetta's MIDI soundtrack won't play (which it does in vanilla).

Vanilla plays back MIDs but only certain MIDs. The latest SVN version supports MID playback, though. Should be in the next release...

ultdoomer said:

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

I've added this to the version in SVN.

I figured it out! I corrupted a savegame and retested the situation, 3 times in a row with same results.
Saves corrupt when I save while running and there are 3-4 or more enemies shooting at me. I usually save when I am safe and covered but this map made me do it, probably the reason why corruptions are rare for me.
I was using 0.1.1, I hope that is the newest version. Thats only version I could find.

EDIT>> Ok I just downloaded 0.1.4 and did my corruption test and not once did it happen. Great job on the new version.

Fredrik said:

Nice, but does it do 3D plots of implicitly defined surfaces?

Patches are welcome!

Fredrik said:

Nice, but does it do 3D plots of implicitly defined surfaces?

<exp[x]> MapleBot, plots[implicitplot3d](x^2/16-y^2/4-z^2=1,x=-10..10,y=-8..8,z=-5..5);
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                ----/--------                   
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                               ----/\----//------               
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                               -----//----------/---            
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                               |----/-----\-----------          
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                               |------|----|---------|          
<MapleBot> exp[x]:               ------                                        ------             
<MapleBot> exp[x]:            -----------------------                                             
<MapleBot> exp[x]:            |-------|-|\-----\----|                                             
<MapleBot> exp[x]:              ---------\\---//-----                                             
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                 -------/---/-----|                                             
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                     ------------|                                              
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                
<MapleBot> exp[x]:                                                                                

While playing through E2, I noticed that the Tower of Babel does not build with each subsequent level, and the Fortress of Mystery does not appear at all.

Bashe said:

While playing through E2, I noticed that the Tower of Babel does not build with each subsequent level, and the Fortress of Mystery does not appear at all.

How is the Tower suppose to build to levels?
The Fortress is a secret map, just gotta look for it.

I hadn't noticed this until I saw it in some thread here a few years ago. There's so much trivia to this old game, nobody (except Grazza?) knows everything. ;-)

Very interesting, I guess after finding the Fortress it appears on map.
Never noticed probably because I played all the maps only once. With 30 megawads, I have never played a map twice.

Okay, it appears that not only E2's intermission isn't animated, all the episodes' intermissions (that have animations) are...weird.

Bashe said:
Okay, it appears that not only E2's intermission isn't animated, all the episodes' intermissions (that have animations) are...weird.

Yeah... strange that I didn't notice it till now.

There's another bug; playing DOOM II the skies change when you warp to a map and pass to another episode. For instance if you warp to Map20 and exit to Map21 you'll see the hellish sky on the 21st level.

Bashe said:

Interesting! I'm amazed that this wasn't noticed before by anyone.

The cause is some kind of change made to the Doom source release (this must have been added in after the Final Doom exectuables because they don't behave this way.

void WI_updateAnimatedBack(void)
{
    int         i;
    anim_t*     a;

if (commercial)
        return;

if (wbs->epsd > 2)
        return;
This function in wi_stuff.c animates the background images used on E1-3. This should never be run in Doom II (commercial mode) or in Episode 4, hence the above logic. Unfortunately, it's wrong. "commercial" should be "gamemode == commercial". Because of the broken logic, it never gets run, so the background isn't animated.

myk said:

There's another bug; playing DOOM II the skies change when you warp to a map and pass to another episode. For instance if you warp to Map20 and exit to Map21 you'll see the hellish sky on the 21st level.

I already fixed this; unfortunately, I haven't released a version yet that has this fix in :-(

Suggestion and Oddness.
Being able to pause games and demos automatically when minimizing screen. The .exe had no minimize obviously in DOS, so this was never considered. Some demos can run 1-3 hours long, far past my attention span and just minimizing to pause will keep it somewhat original.

I setup an old 400mhz networked business computer, Ran 0's to drive, formatted and installed Windows 2000. But when I play Chocolate the screen has a jumpy blur-like bar that moves up the screen. At the top it fades over to the bottom. Exactly like the-videotaping a computer screen effect. I think there is a problem screen refesh not being fast or slow enough.
This "new" computer makes Doom95 have much better graphics than zDoom on the same resolution.

abysmal said:
The .exe had no minimize obviously in DOS, so this was never considered.

True, although if you minimize Doom while running it on a DOS screen in Windows it'll be effectively stopped (paused). Some of the guys recording longer demos for COMPET-N would sometimes stop to take a breather that way, especially at the intermission screens. So essentially it should make sense to make it pause somehow while minimizing (even during playback or recording, where a pause isn't normally possible).

A bug or mishandling of conflicting linedef actions?
Icarus.wad MAP16, sector 216 there is a yellow key door with first encountered side with action 34, open/stay. The other side has action 27 open/close.

In Chocolate the door closes after I originally opened it from first encountered side after I went through. When I opened it again to retrace steps it closed behind me, trapping me out. I tried for awhile to figure out how to open it back up and ended up clipping(I never cheat).
In Doomsday and Legacy this door stays open preventing anyone from getting trapped. I had yellow key but some reason it wouldnt open a second time from original encountered side in Chocolate.

Am I missing something or sound deh is not functional? In section_types in deh_main deh_section_sound is not handled.

rpeter said:

Am I missing something or sound deh is not functional? In section_types in deh_main deh_section_sound is not handled.

Indeed! I've fix this in SVN. Thanks.