Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Chocolate Doom

MP2E said:

I compiled Chocolate-doom svn 1704 from the trunk and tried running it, but music won't work for some reason. The error it gives me is this :
Error loading midi: /etc/timidity++/timidity.cfg: line 30: syntax error

Here is line 30 of the timidity.cfg in question:
soundfont /usr/share/soundfonts/fluidr3/FluidR3GM.SF2

I see nothing wrong with that line, and everything else seems to work(ZDoom midi works fine through timidity)

On linux (I don't know if Windows is different), SDL doesn't use timidiy; it only uses the configuration file. It has an old version built in that doesn't support sf2 soundfonts. You need a patch set instead. There is a utility called unsf that breaks up soundfonts into individual patches.

exp(x) said:

On linux (I don't know if Windows is different), SDL doesn't use timidiy; it only uses the configuration file. It has an old version built in that doesn't support sf2 soundfonts. You need a patch set instead. There is a utility called unsf that breaks up soundfonts into individual patches.

It's the same on Windows.

mammajamma said:

I see... In that case are there any sound replacement WADs that contain close 8-bit/2600-sounding versions of the original sounds (or emulations of the PC speaker sound), or programs that can convert WAV files into more of an 8-bit sound?

No need, I've fixed it now.

exp(x) said:

Damnit. SDL and it's silly limitations :(

fraggle said:

No need, I've fixed it now.

Thanks. Looks like it's added in r1706, which unfortunately doesn't have a pre-compiled version. I don't know how to compile the source, so could anyone give me a link to a compiled version?

mammajamma said:

Thanks. Looks like it's added in r1706, which unfortunately doesn't have a pre-compiled version. I don't know how to compile the source, so could anyone give me a link to a compiled version?

Sorry, my update script has been having troubles with sshfs. It's up now.

I've had this for a while, but I haven't bothered to actually tell anyone else but fraggle about it. I am running a Chocolate Doom 1.2.1 dedicated server that is open for anyone to use.

You can find it on funcrusherplus.net, default port.

If anyone has trouble using it, please let me know.

exp(x) said:

Sorry, my update script has been having troubles with sshfs. It's up now.

Playing right now, I love it. With low detail enabled, the combination OPL/PC speaker emulation is such a blast to play, almost like playing on some crappy 386.

The PC speaker volume can't be adjusted though... It drowns out the OPL music at times, especially during frantic moments. Is this by design?

exp(x) said:
On linux (I don't know if Windows is different), SDL doesn't use timidiy; it only uses the configuration file. It has an old version built in that doesn't support sf2 soundfonts.

Would it be hard to link the engine to TiMidity, as Randy Heit did for ZDoom?

myk said:

Would it be hard to link the engine to TiMidity, as Randy Heit did for ZDoom?

I'd really love it if this could happen, all the links I found to unsf are dead, and there's no package for it in the AUR or in the pacman repositories. Also, creating them into patches will remove some of the effects they have(from what the wiki for alsa page with unsf told me). The soundfont set I'm using sounds absolutely fantastic for Doom, so a timidity++ engine in chocolate-doom would be incredible

MP2E said:

I'd really love it if this could happen, all the links I found to unsf are dead, and there's no package for it in the AUR or in the pacman repositories.

It's in here in the utils directory.

exp(x) said:

There is a utility called unsf that breaks up soundfonts into individual patches.

This isn't without it's fuckups. You'll still have to do some tuning here and there. Lest you want your ears to bleed.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I'm using the Roland VSC as my MIDI device, I try to adjust the music volume, and the volume remains constant.

a mock-up:

no matter how I adjust it

A) |========
or
B) ========|
or
C) ====|====

the music remains at the same volume
Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I'm using r1712.

e: also, the music refuses to stop when I pause running VSC. Everything runs fine when using the Microsoft GS wavetable.

mammajamma said:

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I'm using the Roland VSC as my MIDI device, I try to adjust the music volume, and the volume remains constant.

e: also, the music refuses to stop when I pause running VSC. Everything runs fine when using the Microsoft GS wavetable.

I'm rather sure this is an SDL issue, which likely means it can only be fixed by modifying the SDL code or by implementing some sort of nasty hack/workaround into Chocolate Doom, which fraggle probably won't do.

Just a quick question to some people who might know Chocolate Doom better.

How do you get the Master Levels to work on Chocolate Doom.I used to have some system to do it but I don't remember what I did(my harddrive had crapped out on me since)and it was a little tedious if I remember correctly.Any easy way to do it,like to get the interface that it normally comes with?

Zlpempleh said:

Just a quick question to some people who might know Chocolate Doom better.

How do you get the Master Levels to work on Chocolate Doom.I used to have some system to do it but I don't remember what I did(my harddrive had crapped out on me since)and it was a little tedious if I remember correctly.Any easy way to do it,like to get the interface that it normally comes with?

Just move the Master Level PWADs into their own folder, then download this program called MALESE. Once it is installed, open the .exe and configure the locations of Chocolate Doom, your Doom II IWAD, and the Master Levels PWADs, and you should be good to go.

Last time I used MALESE it expected engine names to conform to the 8.3 format, which meant chocolate-doom.exe had to be shortened.

GreyGhost said:

Last time I used MALESE it expected engine names to conform to the 8.3 format, which meant chocolate-doom.exe had to be shortened.

You could have pointed it to CHOCOL~1.EXE.

Rohit_N said:

For the Master Levels, I follow the guide here:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Id_Super_Pack

Just replace gzdoom.exe with chocolate-doom.exe and specify the IWAD (doom2), like:

chocolate-doom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file ./wads/%wad% -warp %warp%

Something like that.

I kinda got what you said to work,it brings up the interface,but it just starts the regular first level.

In the last line of the file

gzdoom.exe ./wads/%wad% -warp %warp%
When you change it to Chocolate Doom make sure you add -file
chocolate-doom.exe -file ./wads/%wad% -warp %warp%

DuckReconMajor said:

In the last line of the file

gzdoom.exe ./wads/%wad% -warp %warp%
When you change it to Chocolate Doom make sure you add -file
chocolate-doom.exe -file ./wads/%wad% -warp %warp%

Awesome,thanks.

Hate to be a pest,but does anybody happen to have a .bat file for the Maximum Doom pack too?

I'm trying to get Doom II Extreme (D2XTREME.WAD and the appropriate DEH file) to run in Chocolate. I'm loading the DEH file and merging the wad in the parameter options using ZDL. Every time I attempt to load the wad, I get this:

Error: Error parsing dehacked file.
Last I checked, it was vanilla compatible. What's the problem? I'm using r1722.

vvv I see, thanks. I could have sworn it was vanilla compatible. vvv

stderr.txt said:

d2x-treme.deh:2078: Replacement string is longer than the maximum possible in doom.exe

I'd like to state one fairly important feature request I have for Chocolate Doom, and that is to add support for rebinding the keys for the demo and multiplayer specific keyboard functions (ie. Q for ending a recorded game and B, G, I and R for talking directly to a player in multiplayer). Why? Because all the other major and minor functions can already be rebound and because vanilla also supported this via keyboard remapping utilities (which I assume the current special key rebound system is in a way trying to emulate).

Another thing is that Chocolate needs someone to take over the task of creating and hosting Windows SVN builds since exp(x), the previous SVN builds maintainer, is currently unable to do so. There's already been some discussion of this here, and Gez did say he could consider doing the builds. However, he uses MSVC and had some issues when he tried creating a build.

In case there are any volunteers, I'd like to point out that the script exp(x) used to create his SVN builds is available here. The build process was fully automated, so maybe it could be made that way again.

mammajamma said:

I'm trying to get Doom II Extreme (D2XTREME.WAD and the appropriate DEH file)

Where can I find a copy of this? I found d2xtreme.zip but there is no dehacked patch with it.

Janizdreg said:

I'd like to state one fairly important feature request I have for Chocolate Doom, and that is to add support for rebinding the keys for the demo and multiplayer specific keyboard functions (ie. Q for ending a recorded game and B, G, I and R for talking directly to a player in multiplayer). Why? Because all the other major and minor functions can already be rebound and because vanilla also supported this via keyboard remapping utilities (which I assume the current special key rebound system is in a way trying to emulate).

Yes, this seems like a good idea.

fraggle said:

Where can I find a copy of this? I found d2xtreme.zip but there is no dehacked patch with it.

I got it here. I was told a replacement string exceeded DOOM.EXE's limit. (which was probably a Boom thing, considering the wad came out in 2001)

Janizdreg said:

Another thing is that Chocolate needs someone to take over the task of creating and hosting Windows SVN builds

Do it under Linux with a cross compiler (apt-get install mingw32).

andrewj said:

Do it under Linux with a cross compiler (apt-get install mingw32).

This was what was being done before - exp[x] had an Xbox running Linux, cross-compiling for mingw32.

I might even do it myself if I have the time.