Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Chocolate Doom

So when im playing on chocolate doom, I have my strafe on key as alt. But whenever I press alt without immediately pressing another button my game freezes.

It unfreezes when something else is pressed.

Dime said:

So when im playing on chocolate doom, I have my strafe on key as alt. But whenever I press alt without immediately pressing another button my game freezes.

It unfreezes when something else is pressed.

You should create a ticket for this bug and give more details about the computer you are using.

Here the link to the bug tracker: https://sourceforge.net/p/chocolate-doom/bugs/

Yeah, I'm aware that the wiki is broken. I'm going to be migrating it to a new server at some point in the near future.

Hmm, I tried it but when I press "7" I get "HOME", when I press "6" I get "RIGHT", etc, even if Num Lock is on.

Oh indeed, they do work. However, I can't bind left/right arrows to strafe left/right and 4/6 to chaingun/plasmagun at the same time... Also, I can't bind numpad 0 to the BFG (nothing appears when I press it, not even some other button like Scroll Lock or something).

Is there a way to point Chocolate Doom to an IWAD directory? In order to be organized I have a Doom folder where I keep all my source ports in separate folders. I also keep my IWADS in a separate folders and config my source ports to point to the IWAD folder for access to the IWADS. Same with mods. This way I don't have to copy IWADS everywhere. I read somewhere there is a way to do it for Chocolate doom but I don't think they listed how. If this is possible can somebody please tell me? Below is a screenshot of my set up if the above is not clear.

Set a DOOMWADPATH environment variable to point to that directory.

On Windows 7 at least, press Windows+Break, click Advanced System Settings, and there's an Environment Variables button in which you can add one for your user. Not sure if this still works on Windows 8.

chungy said:

Set a DOOMWADPATH environment variable to point to that directory.

On Windows 7 at least, press Windows+Break, click Advanced System Settings, and there's an Environment Variables button in which you can add one for your user. Not sure if this still works on Windows 8.

Ah. That's how. I used DOOMWADDIR instead. Not sure if it makes a difference. Thanks. However, either way, it launches Doom 2 by default and the setup options don't save my video options.

DOOMWADDIR only supports having a single directory, you can set multiple in PATH (on Windows, separated by semicolons). If you have only a single directory anyway, it'll work the same either way.

Chocolate Doom's order for finding the IWADs goes in the following: doom2.wad, plutonia.wad, tnt.wad, doom.wad, doom1.wad, chex.wad, hacx.wad. With the exception of the last two, it's pretty much how Final Doom's doom2.exe behaves in this manner. To specify a different IWAD, you need to use "chocolate-doom -iwad plutonia.wad" (for example) at the command prompt; you can set up shortcuts or *.cmd files of course.

As for the video options, that sounds odd and shouldn't happen. Is a chocolate-doom.cfg file being written to the directory?

I can guess already that the problem is you're running from Program Files. Your config is probably being written to a VirtualStore folder instead of the actual Chocolate Doom folder.

Simple answer: Don't put things in Program Files yourself, that's for installers.

Alternatively, give yourself write permission for that folder, then copy your config from the virtual folder and delete it: %USERPROFILE%/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)

Edit: Actually, Chocolate Setup has to be run as admin (because it has setup in its filename...seriously), so it'll always write to the real folder. Chocolate Doom, on the other hand, doesn't run as admin and writes a new config to VirtualStore. So the problem is probably reversed, you shouldn't need to copy anything, just give write permission.

Yeah. I know about the VirtualStore. I have shortcuts to configs of the other ports for easy access. I edited the properties of both the .exe and setup to run as admin. That fixed the video problem.

As for the DOOMWADDIR, I have the IWADS in a single directory. I don't have them in multiple. I'd like to keep it that way for easy organization purposes. I have 2 other directories in the IWAD directory for the Doom 3 BFG wads and Strife voices. I just have Strife voices autoload whenever I run Strife in certain source ports. The BFG wads are special and I use them when I have to, if I have to.

Well thank you for the help with those 2 things. My last question has to be is there a way to select or easily switch wads for chocolate doom other than having it autoload Doom 2 each time? Or would I have to do it the "-iwad" way?

Dragonsbrethren said:

Actually, Chocolate Setup has to be run as admin (because it has setup in its filename...seriously), so it'll always write to the real folder.

That shouldn't happen.

Edit: I should note that the Windows 8.x lines are only in 2.0.0-beta2, not 1.7.0.

That's definitely a bug; I asked fraggle about it in IRC, and apparently the manifest fix I linked to only applies after beta2, so it should be fixed in beta3 or whatever.

It should now be fixed in beta3. Let me know if it isn't.

The Chocolate Doom website is now on a new server that should fix previous problems (slowness etc.) with the wiki. If you find ant problems with it please let me know about that too.

I've released Chocolate Doom 2.0.0. Some important notes:

• Chocolate Doom is now no longer hosted on Sourceforge. I'm keeping the old Sourceforge project page around for now, but it's not canonical any more.
  • Chocolate Doom is now hosted in Git, the old Subversion repository should not be used any more. You can clone the repository on Github.
  • If you find bugs, please report them at the Github issues page. This should include all the old bug data imported from Sourceforge.

I feel like this has been reported/discussed somewhere, but I can't find it, so:

With weapons that share slots, the "Next weapon" button will always go to the highest priority weapon that takes that slot, and skips over the others, e.g. pistol -> super shotgun -> chaingun, skipping the normal shotgun. "Previous weapon" works as expected. This is true for all games (except Hexen to which it doesn't apply).

This might be intended behaviour I guess, to me it feels like a bug.

You can't switch to the normal shotgun until the SSG is fully raised (provided you possess the SSG) in vanilla Doom. It's dumb, but it worked that way.

Oh, of course. I guess that behaviour for next/previous weapon makes sense then, if only because there isn't a better way to do it.

Here is Doom music as it was intended to be heard!

https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/245

kopasite.net/up/1/doom-rc-55-soundtrack.torrent
-- you are welcome sharing this with your friends.

Comparison between two different encodings:
-- Roth (LogicDeLuxe) from http://www.abmischung.de/index.html
-- Blume (MusicallyInspired) from http://sc55.duke4.net/index.php

EDIT: comparison discussion over at http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/66795-seeking-intended-doom-sc-55-music/

plums said:

I feel like this has been reported/discussed somewhere, but I can't find it, so:

With weapons that share slots, the "Next weapon" button will always go to the highest priority weapon that takes that slot, and skips over the others, e.g. pistol -> super shotgun -> chaingun, skipping the normal shotgun. "Previous weapon" works as expected. This is true for all games (except Hexen to which it doesn't apply).

This might be intended behaviour I guess, to me it feels like a bug.

It's deliberate and the possible behaviour is somewhat limited by the Vanilla (demo) format.

If you press "next weapon" it's like pressing each of the weapon keys in order, ie. if you have all weapons you'll get:

Chainsaw -> Pistol -> Super shotgun -> Chaingun -> Rocket Launcher
-> Plasma Rifle -> BFG 9000 
If you have all weapons then you're skipping the shotgun and fist. But in Vanilla you can't switch from pistol to shotgun without selecting the super shotgun first - you have to press '3' twice. Same with the fist - if you have picked up the berserk pack.

If you press "previous weapon" then you get the the weapons you skipped over, instead:
Fist <- Chainsaw <- Pistol <- Shotgun <-  Super shotgun <- Chaingun
<- Rocket Launcher <- Plasma Rifle <- BFG 9000 
ie. it's like you're pressing the number keys in reverse, but 1 and 3 get pressed twice so you get the alternate weapons: 765433211.

In data/Makefile.am, icons_DATA need to get added to the CLEANFILES variable:

--- a/data/Makefile.am
+++ b/data/Makefile.am
@@ -19,3 +19,4 @@ icons_DATA = @PROGRAM_PREFIX@doom.png   \
 @PROGRAM_PREFIX@setup.png : setup.png
        cp setup.png $@

+CLEANFILES = $(icons_DATA)