Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

This Just In, Doom Movie Is Terrible

sargebaldy said:

No. We've already been over this. They're going to base the new game on the new book based on the movie.

Holy Crap! Doom: The Movie: The Game

Man this thread is fun to read. I had a question though (not relating directly to this topic, but about the Doom movie). Has anyone checked out the new doommovie.com website design? Moreso, has anyone checked out the new screensaver they have up there? It features a number of FPS sequences from the movie, divided into sections by the Doom logo and a small loading thing shown at intervals. Someone please download this, watch closely at the second 'section' and tell me if that is not a freaking monster weilding some kind of weapon or chainsaw. Not a zombie, but a monster. WTF is going on?? Monsters DO NOT carry weapons!!

Nazxul said:

Man this thread is fun to read. I had a question though (not relating directly to this topic, but about the Doom movie). Has anyone checked out the new doommovie.com website design? Moreso, has anyone checked out the new screensaver they have up there? It features a number of FPS sequences from the movie, divided into sections by the Doom logo and a small loading thing shown at intervals. Someone please download this, watch closely at the second 'section' and tell me if that is not a freaking monster weilding some kind of weapon or chainsaw. Not a zombie, but a monster. WTF is going on?? Monsters DO NOT carry weapons!!

The website is cooler than the movie... that is just sad.

sargebaldy said:

That's not a "random person", that's w@velength. Which is probably why it says "banned" next to his name now.

i don't hang around here enough to know the histories :p

Haven't seen it yet, not out yet in England.

My position from day one has always been the same, I don't give a toss either way.

After all we had the Doom comic, that never impacted the games original awesomeness.

Xenphire said:

I'd like to direct those of you with any shred of false hope left to the following thread

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34162

Where someone has read the novel about the Doom movie, and confirms all of these screenings.

Now grow up and quit being such fanboys.

Ah, but now allow ME to show you to an earlier thread I made a comment in here (my second post).

But for those of you too lazy to scroll down to my second comment, allow me to quote myself:

I said:
Anybody who thinks that reading this book will excuse you from having to see the movie needs a reality check. It's a known fact that many book versions of movies have a few scenes and events that don't appear in the movie at all. In some rare cases the book can be almost completely different (e.g. Alan Dean Foster's novel of the 1982 version of "The Thing", which was based off an earlier screenplay and not the one shown in theaters).

Yeah.

Spunkman said:

They did it with street fighter.

The sure did.

Both were fucking terrible, too.

Carnevil said:

DOOM: THE MOVIE: THE GAME

Scuba Steve said:

Holy Crap! Doom: The Movie: The Game

You're stealing my material ;_;

Texas Libra said:

So... you've read these multiple accounts written by prescreeners. You've read the synopsis by someone who's read the book. You still want to argue? What are you arguing about anymore anyway? That we've all been duped and the movie really is everything it should be? Not fucking likely. Or maybe the overused "it won't be as bad as we think"? Yes, I'm aware that there won't be any dialogue like:

GRIMM: Wow, that monster really kicked my ass.

SARGE: Yeah, you look like Hell. Like hell. Get it? Like "Hell"? You see what I did there? Eh? Eh?

You fully understand the reasons why people don't like what's going on here. Stop trying to convince us to spend $8 of our own money.

It's going to have doom weapons, and a few doom enemies. That's fine. I never expected it to have a great script, or be true to the game. It's doomish, and it might be an entertaining "kill everything" movie. I never expected much from it. It'll still be fun to see, and I'm dragging my girlfriend, my roomate, and his girlfriend to see it, because it'll just be plain fun to see what they did with it. Get over it, most of you will go see it. I really hope none of you wanted an oscar winning performance out of this movie. And I hope none of you expected a "true to doom" experience out of it either. It's a movie, it was made to make money. They didn't give an "F" about any of the fans, they just took some source material and made what they hoped was a half way decent action flick out of doom. Which is all I expected them to make in the first place.

The movie´s name could´ve been Resident Evil-Clone. I´m so angry because they put The Rock (a.k.a. Dwight Johnson) in the movie, and why did they leave the Hell out of the movie? Doom is based on Hell. Hell is the spine of Doom. Virus and disease-crap, huh? I´ve seen Resident Evil, why does there have to be another that kind of movie? Yeah, and also Land Of The Dead is this kind of movie. Doom-movie´s glory would´ve come out if there was Hell. But no can do anymore, the accident has already happened.

BlackFish said:

Ok I think Quake 4 gets priority over this one. You know if they just used the Doom novels as a base for the movie the movie would be alot better.

I very much doubt it. I vaguely remember something in the novels along the lines of the monsters mutating into a disease which only infected non-mormons... sounds about on par in terms of retarded religious agenda.

Sera said:

Yeah, and also Land Of The Dead is this kind of movie.

no it's not. it's the best zombie movie ever that isn't called "night of the living dead" or "evil dead".

a movie of the game of the novel of this forum about the movie of a storyline interpretation of a 13 year old game

regardless, theres a scene where an imp pulls a guy through a grating. he doesnt break the grating pulling the guy through, he just shreds him like cheese in a grater. so it should be good for simple horror violence levels like that.

and iirc, which i may not, wasnt doom originally loosely a game recreation of Aliens, but things got iffy so they just made it demons instead ? if not, then it does feel that way at times anyways.

using tid bits from all the reviews I have read, I have discovered some startaling, uh.... theories!

Ok fist of all the planted review (the positive one, reveals that there is plenty of room for a sequel, meaning the loose ends with Reaper's character are there as enticement and will be tied in Doom 2, or some shit. This would explain the passing reference given to the portal to Earth.

Now lets think back to Doom3, where did the super humans flee to? Earth. What is the title of Doom2?...Hell on Earth, meaning no the super beings weren't wiped out, for how could they constuct two portals (mars, earth).

No demons you say? Well actually what we have found is angel DNA, notice how when the angels rebel against God's plan in't bible they suddenly become demons. This is because their extra genes alter them depending on personality. Of course this would mean that when they arrived on earth humans were the result of a genetic anomaly caused by the teleportation process. Those surviving with their powers became God's of the inferior. Good and evil still remained on the planet so the angel/demons continued their war for power and were eventually killed by the human race.

How ever now that we have an angel (Reaper) and a demon unleashed on the world The demonic gene will be spread, however Reaper being ignorant to what power he wields does shit the hard way. This leads to the advantage of Evil and hell spreads.

This in turn means that the reviews are fake, everybody enters the theatre with low expectations leading people to believe that they enjoyed the film more than they really did, causing the believes to go "Holy shit I told you so" and the non- believers to go "hmmm, well it was better than expected.... ohk I'll get the DVD." it will generate the income to start the real Doom war.

This'll happen like the Matrix, a stand alone movie followed by two dependant on each other, one showing the rise of evil, t'other revealing the fall.

It's simple really when you think about it :-P

Janderson said:

Well, that all sounds nice and dandy, but it doesn't meet my demands for a Doom movie, because it does not "feel" Doomish to me. Despite these "interesting" reviews, I even consider the possibility that the movie *might* be entertaining to watch, however, I will not just rush out and see it. I will listen to what people (not just Doom fans) in general think, and if enough people convince me it's entertaining to watch, I might just go and see it (but preferably at a friend's). But even if it's entertaining, I'd still be somewhat disappointed (well, I didn't expect the movie to ever meet my expectations, so I'm not sure if 'disappointed' is the right word to express my feelings on it).

The ideal Doom movie after my head would have the following elements:

- Monsters are definitely supernatural demons - not metaphorical or anything else, but definitely "magical/mystical". No dumbass sci-fi trying to make them "realistic". They are mystical/mythical demons from Hell that cannot be explained by science. For me, the games were all about the mix of Sci-fi and the inexplicable supernatural elements. Doom 3 made the latter even better, by adding ghostly sounds and voices and introducing the element of hallucinations.
Some Aliens elements definitely need to be in there with monsters breaking through walls and stuff (but forget about the "weird sound turns out to be cute animal" deal - it's just not cool anymore).

- Elements from "haunted whatever movies" and ghost movies. Hell is taking over this base and elements of pure evil is loosened in it. I'd like elements inspired by movies like The Shining in there. I wanna see characters have psyche breakdowns because they have nightmarish hallucinations (that are possibly far more disturbing and terrifying than those in D3). Hallucinations that come suddenly and unexpected (no hints or anything so the audience is caught by surprise). Hell, even throw in some nightmarish ghost apparitions too that completely psyche out and confuse the characters.

- Lots of marines - a small army at least. The Squad deal is cliché now, so it needs to die. I want the base to be a place of mayhem and chaos, something like at least a marine company fighting for their lives and gradually dwindling in numbers. The majority die because they're combat inexperienced marines and the few combat vets die simply because they don't have the protagonist's luck.

- some elements of realism is needed to outbalance the supernatural aspects. Tech gadgetery needs to make sense and not seem completely magic while not being too modern day'ish (projectile guns need to be more powerful than modern day weapons, but if explained, the explanation needs to be at least somewhat plausible).
The soldiers act belivably like soldiers with modern CQB (Close Quarters Battle) tactics. There's no 'Rambo' hero, but the protagonist is a believable hero who is a battle-hardened combat vet (possibly highly decorated for past heroics). He only prevails against evil because he's simply lucky where the other few combat vets fail.
The other combat vets are scattered and last much longer than everybody else, but they eventually meet their doom in a variety of ways (Hellucinations trick them and lead to their gruesome deaths, they fall into a trap set by the demons which they fail to escape from).
Marines wear closed combat helmets (for the most part - those that don't for whatever reason resort to flashlights D3 style - I don't care; big maglights are too big to be strapped to guns and that's my final fucking word on that). Those helmets have an inbuilt Light Amplification system that'd allow the bearer to basically see in the dark (a futuristic version of night vision goggles). The helmets are not unlike those in the games (old and new) with breathers and visors with a general "space helmet" feel.

- Possessed security guards/marines. My opinion is firm here. It just ain't Doom without soldiers-turned-demonic-soldiers even if the rest of the badguys are actually supernatural demons from Hell. These guys are far more important than dumb Res Evil style zombies (even though I wouldn't mind that kind in there too). That means that slight elements from horror movies with a "somebody is possessed by a demon" theme are highly relevant too.

- Gateway teleporters turned gateways to Hell. I will not settle with any other explanation for the arrival of the demons, even if it's an old explanation. It's still what Doom's plot is all about and it would not be Doom otherwise.

- Mars needs to be the setting. Phobos and Deimos were cool, but they just aren't believable enough for me any longer, but a reference to either moon (lost contact to Phobos Routing station or something like that) would do nicely.

- The element of "don't trust anyone" that Doom 3 (and those fucking novels, grrr) added to the Doom universe needs to be in there too. It's just some serious movie material that could only add good to the movie if done right and it'd be dumb not to exploit it because it has a lot of cool story potential. It doesn't necessarily need a "Sarge" that turns evil, but the Betruger theme could be nice enough imo, especially if expanded upon. Also, some of the guys could have a psychological breakdown and go crazy at which point they turn on their own comrades.

There's probably more, but I can't think of it off hand, but it'd be neat if someone makes a machinema movie (in Doom 3) that follows my list here :-P
Hell, I'd offer to write the damn script.

sir not only do i approve of your analysis but i would fancy a subscription to your news letter!

no seriously, i agree testicles first with dsm there, and ive myself had thoughts of doing a Doom machinima in Doom3... just... telling it more cinematically. it already has so many of the supplies needed... the games got a good camera system and whatnot. itd just look like an old cg film in the games normal quality.

Numbermind said:

Hey, that'd make a pretty good game. But what would we call it...?

I'm thinking either;

-Doom: Dead Aim
-Doom: Code Veronica x
-Doom: Outbreak

I don't know! They just came to me. ;)

dsm: holy pearls, I was going to suggest you start one of those machinma projects. Hey doomworld is a big place, we have expert modlers and mappers, we have writers and artists spewing from every orifice and there sure as hell are enough voices in here for a small army. Hey it could be forum project.