Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

This Just In, Doom Movie Is Terrible

scar3crow said:
and iirc, which i may not, wasnt doom originally loosely a game recreation of Aliens, but things got iffy so they just made it demons instead ? if not, then it does feel that way at times anyways.

Well, they considered an Aliens movie for a bit, it seems, but quickly dropped it as they didn't want to be restricted. But yeah, really. At this point what matters is the macabre ambientation and the action in the movie, though these unfortunately don't seem to be praised in the scathing reviews (from what I read, which isn't much... I looked with the corner of my eye only.) This isn't DOOM, this isn't DOOM 3, it's just a movie adaptation based on these.

Honestly, though, some traditional Hellish elements could well suck bigtime in a DOOM movie, unless they were done in an irreverent and darkly comical way like in the Evil Dead movies, or as hinted in (the real) DOOM itself.

Ghostly things and voices? Fuck that. DOOM is about irrationality and bloodshed, not solemn spritual crap. I'd rather see a totally materialistic action movie without any direct mention of Hell than a cross between Aliens and the exorcist.

In all honesty I think it should be from the perception of a damned coward who sells out his friends, plays dirty, and spends his time sprinting through carnage and bloody massacres/battles.

Sounds like what The Rock will be playing in this movie. Not sure about the sprinting part, though he's physically fit, at least.

There is one good thing about the moive its rated R. I just hope there is at least one sean with over the top gore. Maby some one being hit by a rocket launcher and gibbs fly all over the place.

dsm said:

stuff

dear sir, you fucking win.

actually, to be honest with you guys, i rented the -real- doom movie over the weekend. it's called event horizon.

Event Horizon is pretty good
i like the explanation of how they folded space to cross great distances, but they made the point that when you make point A and point B the same point, and yet for the blink of an eye one is still travelling, where are they during that time?

the answer in that film is where they draw the horror from.

dethtoll said:
i rented the -real- doom movie over the weekend.

Needs more Action.

For now "the real DOOM movie" is Evil Dead II and then Aliens in one sitting.

dsm said:

Long list of relevant shit that hit the nail on the head.

You, sir, deserve lots of sex.

I have a few friends who have played Doom a few times, played Doom 3 (since I don't have an XBox and left my copy at their house) and the pinky in a wheelchair pissed them off too. Everything I've told them about the movie has pissed them off actually. They're not even Doom fans and I have a feeling they're going to hate it just because it's a shitty movie. Also, am I to assume...nah, I'm to fucking know, the trailers are misleading me with sayings like "The Marines are going in." or "Hell breaks loose."

Here's the real problem: the slew of stupid new 10 or 12 year olds that are too young to know about the original Doom (or just ignorant) that are going to join the forums. THAT's the real issue at hand.

Johnatone said:
Here's the real problem: the slew of stupid new 10 or 12 year olds that are too young to know about the original Doom (or just ignorant) that are going to join the forums. THAT's the real issue at hand.

What have you been drinking? That's by far the best thing about both DOOM 3 and the DOOM movie.

Someone from one of my classes asked me what my custom license plate meant (it's IDDQD), and when I told him, he asked me if I was going to see the movie. I then launched into a rant about how horrible it is going to be.

i'm probably only going to see this because my adolescence isn't finished being brutally murdered yet.

Captain Red said:

Oh Poodle sticks :(

At the start of the bloody review it said he never played DooM,Now the reviewer is a big DooM fan? What the shit is this?

Touchdown said:
A pack of marines (cuz one-marine-movie would be strange)

For the whole movie perhaps... but not if it's a section or good chunk of it, like before he finds other marines or after they die; I mean, check Alien and Predator. Ripley and Dutch are pretty much alone against the enemy at the end.

myk said:

Eh, only if it's good. If not here's my advice; mock the movie and flame it at heart's content. Laughing out loud at the cinema when it isn't a comedy is sometimes kind of rude, but hell, there are exceptions.

Woof! Grrr! *chomp*

There is no point giving slack to something just to be "understanding." And being critical, even occasionally vicious, is not a sign that one isn't enjoying oneself.

Lol, whatever floats your boat man. Just because I offer advice, doesn't necessarily mean it is to be taken seriously. Nothings better than being taken serious when your intentions are the exact opposite.

Weston said:

Ya'll have shitty taste in movies. No matter WHAT way the Doom movie had been made, it would have sucked, because the concept is blatantly stupid.

"OMG MARINES SHOOTING DEMONS ON MARS I LUV BEING 14 YEAR OLD"

Not even Werner fucking Herzog could salvage that shit. Grow the fuck up. Enjoy the game, but keep it in your pants and don't tell anyone "how c00l DooM is" because ya'll are greasy-haired losers and nobody gives a shit if you smoke pot or eat babies over a flaming pentagram, it doesn't make you cool.

Wavelength, out.

I LOVE YOU JESUS! FUCK ME NOW!

I visited the Quakecon.org site a few weeks ago and watched some of the ID software interviews and Tim Willits said in one of the videos that they revised the last 30 minutes of so of the doom movie to implement a hell scene so the demons are from hell. then i read the review on this site of the movie and it appears to be some stupid virus bullshit. either ID lied or there are several different screening versions floating around, just thought id let people know what i found if you dont believe me check out quakecon.org for more info.

FlakRound said:
either ID lied or there are several different screening versions floating around, just thought id let people know what i found if you dont believe me check out quakecon.org for more info.

In the past id developers have given contradictory views of what games would be like; in this case I bet the movie producers and id were arm wrestling on what to include.

the rock was on the daily show with john stewart tonight to talk about doom. he came out with the BFG and it was huge. john stewart pretended it was too heavy to hold wich was pretty funny and there was some banter about the doom games. anyway on to the lies.

the rock says that the movie "is true to the game" but only really mentions the "unapologetic violence" as how they are related. he says "all the demons are there" and when john stewart asks if the guy who throws skull at you is there he says no, to the boos of the crowd. he says "the baron, the imp, and the pinky" are there, which we all know. he also "breaks" the news on the show that he becomes a "demon". the biggest lie though is when john asks if the "portal to hell is still open", in order to make sequels, the rock says "yes, the portal to hell is still open" and mentions how they left the ending open enough for sequels. we have all heard already that there is nothing about hell in the movie, so why lie like that? he also talks about the fps scenes, saying thats what made the game innovative and it's whats gonna make the movie innovative.

make of it what you will guys. kinda condescending if you ask me.

VileSlay said:

the rock was on the daily show with john stewart tonight to talk about doom. he came out with the BFG and it was huge. john stewart pretended it was too heavy to hold wich was pretty funny and there was some banter about the doom games. anyway on to the lies.

the rock says that the movie "is true to the game" but only really mentions the "unapologetic violence" as how they are related. he says "all the demons are there" and when john stewart asks if the guy who throws skull at you is there he says no, to the boos of the crowd. he says "the baron, the imp, and the pinky" are there, which we all know. he also "breaks" the news on the show that he becomes a "demon". the biggest lie though is when john asks if the "portal to hell is still open", in order to make sequels, the rock says "yes, the portal to hell is still open" and mentions how they left the ending open enough for sequels. we have all heard already that there is nothing about hell in the movie, so why lie like that? he also talks about the fps scenes, saying thats what made the game innovative and it's whats gonna make the movie innovative.

make of it what you will guys. kinda condescending if you ask me.

That's just freaking crap. WTF, John Carmack?