Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
balanco01

HOM art

Some time ago, someone made a very fancy peice of art by no clipping outside of a doom level, and using the plasma gun
to create a design in the HOM of null space. Bored, I did something simaler

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28506262253.png&s=x10

Basicly I replaced the commander keen sprite with a graphic of someone's head, then moved back so the edges of the graphic would "smear", creating a tunnel-like effect. I used zdoom and the "summon commanderkeen" console command.

I made some HOM art a while back, but I didn't replace anything. What I did was create a design purely out of the frozen frames of an invulnerability spehere. If I can find it on my old hard drive, I'll upload it sometime.

A couple of times, when I first started playing Doom (back in '94), I no-clipped for about 10 minutes outside of the level and eventually you start seeing all these really weird and skewed walls. The HOM effects at that point are pretty bizarrre.

GoatLord said:

A couple of times, when I first started playing Doom (back in '94), I no-clipped for about 10 minutes outside of the level and eventually you start seeing all these really weird and skewed walls. The HOM effects at that point are pretty bizarrre.

I've noticed that too. However, after a bit of experimenting, I've noticed that
this is not random behavior at all, (they appear in the same places all of the time) and that the textures and flats that they have are only ones used in the level.
Also, I've even noticed recongnisable (to the level) rooms appear some time, albiet skewed and distorted, but I knew what rooms they were. In some parts of this "area",you will hear all of the monsters present in the level, and you can even get attacked and killed there.

I've always wondered about this behavior and what exactly causes it. With some of the Boom compatable ports (can't remember if vanilla Doom did this too), if you no clip out far enough, you can see the map, *and* the "repeated copy" when you turn 180 degrees.