Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

gaming rigs

i have been primarily a PC user and stayed out of the whole console system arena. My fav consoul systems have been, in order, atari, sega/32x, and playstation. Now with so many out, and others coming out I am not sure what, if any, of the new systems i would get. one system i will get is the GBA, for doom and a few other games, also i want a new gameboy. So i ask what are the TRUE specs of todays game rigs. i would like to know things like, what processor speed and power, system ram, video ram, display properties(like software/openGL/other and max res), system BUS speed(like 33mhz), transfer rates( speed of drive or loading time to system ram) and other interesting featutres( like type of drive, is there a Operating system, hard dives, modems or other devices) also and importantly Which will doom3 most likly be on. However doom3 is going to be on my next PC, plan to build in the spring.

from what I heard, the Xbox has the power of a PIII 800mhz, and the power of win95....thats why people have seen the "green screen of death" on the Xbox....

PS2 may have the same speed.....

I also heard the gamecube has the power of a Mac 550mhz or something....

although that might not answer your question......

as for a good gamming pc, I have a AMD 1.3 266mhz with MSI Kt7 turbo mobo and a Geforce 3 with Win2k,

Win2k can run games pretty damn well, and AMD rocks....no matter if Pentium is 2.0ghz, the new AMD 1.5ghz XP can still beat it.

MSI makes good mobo's, so KT7 turbo is very good for AMD processors....

from what I heard, the Xbox has the power of a PIII 800mhz, and the power of win95....thats why people have seen the "green screen of death" on the Xbox....

The X-Box has a PII at 733Mhz and video made by nVidia that they later watered down and released as the GeForce 3. The power of Win95? The X-Box has no operating system to speak of, the hard drive is used to store MP3s that you rip from CDs you put in it and for games to use as temp space to speed up loading times. I have never heard of games having lock-up issues on the X-Box, if they do, its because of shitty programming.

The PS2 has a 300mhz processor with a 200mhz gpu that is capable of bumpmaps, very crude realtime shadows, and a damn damn damn overused FSAA/Motionblur effect that they use to compensate for the PS2s horrible resolution which is because it only has 4 megs of video memory. In short, from a power standpoint, the X-Box stomps the PS2.

It has a 400mhz processor codenamed 'Gecko' and a completely badassed memory transfer rate. It may not be more powerful than the X-Box but it is clearly more powerful than the PS2.

Win2k can run games pretty damn well, and AMD rocks....no matter if Pentium is 2.0ghz, the new AMD 1.5ghz XP can still beat it.

If you go on raw unoptimized x86 instructions that is clearly true, however, if the program is coded to fully support the new architecture of the P4 then it will smoke the Athlon.

Intel desperately wants more people to jump through their coding hoop to prove their processor is better instead of doing things the simpler and more logical way AMD is doing it.

Regardless (eat my fuck Ling =) the AMD route is much less expensive... and you definitely get more bang for your buck.

The X-Box has a PII at 733Mhz and video made by nVidia that they later watered down and released as the GeForce 3. The power of Win95? The X-Box has no operating system to speak of, the hard drive is used to store MP3s that you rip from CDs you put in it and for games to use as temp space to speed up loading times. I have never heard of games having lock-up issues on the X-Box, if they do, its because of shitty programming.

The PS2 has a 300mhz processor with a 200mhz gpu that is capable of bumpmaps, very crude realtime shadows, and a damn damn damn overused FSAA/Motionblur effect that they use to compensate for the PS2s horrible resolution which is because it only has 4 megs of video memory. In short, from a power standpoint, the X-Box stomps the PS2.

It has a 400mhz processor codenamed 'Gecko' and a completely badassed memory transfer rate. It may not be more powerful than the X-Box but it is clearly more powerful than the PS2.

If you go on raw unoptimized x86 instructions that is clearly true, however, if the program is coded to fully support the new architecture of the P4 then it will smoke the Athlon.

Intel desperately wants more people to jump through their coding hoop to prove their processor is better instead of doing things the simpler and more logical way AMD is doing it.

Regardless (eat my fuck Ling =) the AMD route is much less expensive... and you definitely get more bang for your buck.

wtf? guess I was wrong...

but I still must say AMD ownz....

SegaCD was the last good (and my favorite) system. It had more bombs than most systems, but when it got good games, it really got fucking gooooood games.

Oh god, there is no sucj thing as a PII 733, PII only went to 450. As for gaming i stick to the PC, and i dont plan on buying anything more than the new gameboy

nah, i thought that too. however my friend got his computer just before the PIII came out. his is clocked at 450MHZ, also another guy at the tech store i go to alot asked about the pII range(233-450). PIII i think is 450-1ghz, however i think the 1ghz pIII is a hybrid of some sort. I think the original PIII(slot A version) could only go to 900mhz, but i may be wrong

No, I'm pretty sure the X-Box uses a pIII 733, but that's trivial. Anyways, I was on IGN, looking at the stats for loadtime, and the Gamecube doesn't really seem that far behind the X-Box for speed, actually it's about the same (load times). And the Gamecube will be way cheaper...so it'll probably be the much better buy. As for best system, my vote's on the SNES...but it's just my opinion.

personaly i dont look to be getting an x-box. think about it all microsoft crap. made by microsoft, and most of its games will most likly be all microsoft. even if it is a good pice of gameing tech microsoft makes shity games and will try and hog the game market for its own system. think about it what good games had microsoft ever made, none, they usally suck bad

Yeah that's why Microsoft has a fucking humongous list of game designers that have agreed to make games for the X-Box, nimrod. =P

Check out any X-Box site, Gayspy or otherwise, most still have the list of confirmed developers that includes Capcom, Konami, id, Raven, Taito and Working Designs. =)

I don't need a console. There are enough PC games coming out like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Civilization 3, and Doom 3. That should satisfy me. I may even pick up the new Pool of Radience game. 3rd ed D&D ownz.

Actually, I'm gonna go with the Gamecube IF I buy another system because I've ALWAYS gone with Nintendo. I just prefer it because that's what I grew up with. It may seem like really bad logic, but loyalty means a lot to me. Which is also why I might NOT buy another console. As of August, Nintendo cut support to the N64 fully, from what I heard at my local EB. But it all depends. If the system has Turok 4...I'll be buyin' for sure.

My gaming rig is a 1.9Ghz AthlonXP (originally a 1.53Ghz AXP1800+) mounted to a brand-new Shuttle AK31 rev.3 with 1GB of PC2700 DDR SDRAM - 166Mhz FSB * 11.5. Tacked onto this is an ATI Radeon 8500, a Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer, and a 3Com 3C920 NIC.

This runs software off of a quartet of 36GB Ultra160 SCSI hard drives in RAID 0+1, to give me an average throughput of around 300MB/second on my hard drives, and then on my IDE controller, I have an Iomega Jaz 2GB drive, an Imation LS120 Superdisk drive, a Creative Labs 12X DVD-ROM, and a Yamaha 20x16x48 CDRW drive. It runs Windows XP Professional, final version.

I love to brag. Can you tell? ^_^

[edit]
Hey, BBG. Is that enough supercomputer for you? Or would you rather one of these others:

Quad 1.5Ghz Xeon/4GB RDRAM
-Oxygen GVX420 128MB AGP4X
-144GB Ultra160 SCSI

Dual 1.7Ghz P4/2GB RDRAM
-Nvidia Geforce3
-40GB ATA100

Dual 1.533Ghz AthlonMP/2GB DDR
-ATI Radeon 7500
-1440GB Ultra160 SCSI RAID

Dual 1.4Ghz Tbird/2GB DDR
-Nvidia Geforce2 Ultra
-80GB ATA100