Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duncan

The /newstuff Chronicles #250

Well here it is, the long awaited #250, not just because of its milestone numeric value, but also because /newstuff has been temporarily extinct, as I'm sure you're all aware. So let's get this all up and running again, and we have a decent haul for the first time in a while (though not as great as you'd expect after such an absence).

Apologies for those I have not reveiwed due to source port difficulties, please download them anyway. As for everything else, enjoy!

Bloodshedder says: Some of the links are directly to the files, because Doomworld's /idgames utility doesn't seem to be working well at the moment. Also note that the WinTex 4.3 source code was released too.

• 2sectors - Various
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 564 KB - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    This mapset compiles 17 super-short levels made up, as the title kind of hints, of 2 sectors each. Many of the levels have set up remarkable gameplay for being such short offerings while others are less successful. Maps generally are high in quality in terms of detail, with one or two (guess which screenshot is an example) letting the set down. I recommend playing through this, it’s good fun and there is some nice work here from the Newdoom community, although it’s plainly obvious that the two-sector limit was broken on many occasions.

• The Altar Of Flesh - Ian
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 206 KB - (img) (img)
    For a first map this shows promise in the author’s capabilities. However, there are, naturally, big flaws, namely lack of detail, monster overkill and inappropriate choice of textures (brain ceilings and skull floors are a pet peeve of mine!). There are large rooms that aren’t advanced detail wise, but I quote again, for a first map it certainly isn’t bad. The rooms aren’t bare at any rate. Final negative point is some of the fights are a tad over the top but for first time mappers there’s nothing more novel than being able to put Cyberdemons wherever you want. A novelty that soon wears off. On to the good points: the main room is quite nice to look at, and there is definitely nothing wrong with the map. With a little tweak here and there, this will be a good map to play and look at. Keep up the good work and we’ll hopefully encounter more offerings from this author in the near future.

• Borgs of BOH! - Maverick
    doom2.exe - Deathmatch - 103 KB - (img) (img)
    The textfile quotes that these DM maps are to give bots a fair chance. That’s a skeptical reason for a mapset in itself but as for DM gameplay, the level’s simplicity makes it dire to play and impossible to enjoy. For a start two of the levels are just open rooms with nowhere to seek cover and the others show little improvement. Only map one shows any hint that the author has worked at it, the others are 5 minute throw together jobs. If you want quality Deathmatch for you or your bots, I suggest you look elsewhere.

• Wild Weasel's got a gift in his stocking - Chronoteeth
    EDGE - n/a - 1.75MB
    A weapon Mod for Edge--hard luck that I happen to be the reviewer that this mod has fallen on because me and Edge don’t get on so I just don’t try anymore. Play it, please. I’m sure it’s very good. Leave feedback for the author too!

• Doom 2 Tournament 2534 Extended Edition - George Locmel
    doom2.exe - Solo Play - 256KB - (img)
    -Sigh- Truly dreadful. Loadsa BFG-ing marines--in a room. Was as far as I got before I realized I had better things to do (and about 20 more zipfiles to open). Don’t waste our time, bud!

• DooMknight's DooMSpain DM - DooMknight
    ZDoom - Deathmatch - 17.3KB - (img)
    A small deathmatch level that makes good use of slopes. Nothing out of the ordinary, very brown, but worth a game or two.

• Decay-The Sewers - Bloodskull
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 134KB - (img)
    An atmospheric map set in deep sewers. Appropriate textures and intense gameplay combine to make this a top-quality map. Detail is used when necessary but sparingly enough not to go overboard. I enjoyed playing this map and is a refreshing break from some of the crap I’ve had to drag myself through these past few days. A much recommended download and certainly the best I’ve played so far this newstuff.

• Decay-The Train - Bloodskull
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 48.5KB - (img)
    Another gorgeous map from the series, starting on a train and moving into the surrounding territory. A very nice outdoor area makes this short level very sweet indeed and gameplay is challenging at times. High quality, recommended download once again. Good stuff!

• Doom: World Carnage League - Concept Level - Russell Pearson
    ZDoom - Solo Play - 4.19MB - (img)
    Wow, this could get very addictive! It’s a groovy little challenge--I mean what’s more rewarding than getting points for shooting imps? With lovely ZDoom features thrown in to make this a true arcade style funfest, you’ll soon all be going square eyed with obsession to beat this in the best times! Love it! (I didn’t qualify for the next round, but will try again!)

• E Of Chaos! - Eric W Buck
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 556KB - (img) (img)
    Based on `O` of Destruction, this map is situated on a square-like fortress. It also greatly exceeds the quality of the inspiration with great looking areas and intricate detail. Gameplay isn’t mega-difficult but remains enjoyable and the level moves at a fast pace.This is of high quality, and well worth the time it takes to play.

• fubdm - fub
    Limit Removing - Deathmatch - 13.3KB - (img)
    A simple but effective DM map which, while I didn’t test it out for its purpose, appears to be fun to play in multiplayer. It consists of an outdoor area with minimalist detail that still manages to make the map look smooth. Well worth a shot with your mates.

• InuBot - Inu-Hanyou1776
    Skulltag - n/a - 129KB
    This is a bot with a nice archive of speech terms, quite psychotic actually, as we’ve come to expect from custom bots. Based on an anime character it looks pretty good and will make an interesting addition to your bot family.

• Kappa Base - John Wantland
    Limit Removing - Solo Play - 185KB - (img)
    A well built tech base with rough gameplay here. The detail is pretty good in this, with missing roofs exposing a nice red atmospheric sky texture to add a darker feel than traditional tech bases (traditional winning today’s prize for ironic term). The fights are intense at times but it is an enjoyable map.

• Metro1, Metro2, Metro3 - Carlos Guariglia
    cDoom - Solo Play - 255KB
    I’ve never got on with Cdoom. Download these if you do.

• motrzdbt - 'me' (no not me as in duncan me)
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 1.15MB - (img)
    While the concept is quite good, I must say I didn’t take to this map for a number of miniscule reasons. Firstly the colours were a bit bright and cartoony, particularly the yellow carriage thing. The lightning and constant earthquakes were very offputting and the invisible Archviles were a tad irritating. Aside from these minor faults (which ruined the experience for me personally), there’s nothing wrong with this map and will be enjoyable to those with that kind of taste.

• Ni'mRoD - IXNAY on the HOMBRE - Various
    Legacy Compatible - Solo Play - 7.20MB - (img) (img) (img)
    This mapset consists of 10 levels with replacement graphics, sprites and sounds. The enemies are altered, and there’s quite an original feel to the maps. The levels are quite fun to play although some areas are a bit to dark for my liking and some things are a tad repetitive. As the maps progress, the quality also improves and the maps provide a challenge to complete successfully.

• Pathos - Jacob H Orloff
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 71.3KB - (img)
    This mapper`s efforts are certainly improving and it is heartening to see progress with each attempt. There are two maps here and the first one is very smooth and the gameplay is superb. It’s still a matter of detail but the author is certainly getting there. However the second map is abysmal and lets the first one down. Definitely should have been left out.

• Ressurection of Chaos - Various
    Hexen Support - Solo Play - 3.43MB - (img)
    I don’t have Hexen. The screenshot probably is sufficient evidence that it is needed.

• The Horde of Shtat - me (greyjim)
    ZDoom Compatible - Solo Play - 70KB - (img)
    This map is quite intense gameplay wise but as for looks, it’s nothing special. I believe the map was made for the main purpose of showing off a new weapon and monster--you’ll need Doomsday to recognize that. Not bad.

• ShizzMasteR's Doom Deathmatch #1 - Evan Holt
    ZDoom Compatible - Deathmatch - 9.08MB - (img) (img) (img)
    Some..umm DIFFERENT deathmatch levels. There are preposterous tricks and traps, unnecessary monsters and they certainly don’t look good and the sounds grind on you (although there are some Father Ted ones--if you’ve never experienced Father Ted you haven’t lived!) yet there is something oddly cool about these. Might just be me--try them yourself

• Silent Steel - Bryant and the Solution
    Vavoom - Solo Play - 4.88MB
    Sorry and sorry again but I don’t have Vavoom either and at half eleven at night I’m not all that inspired to download it. But please, please try this map.

• Submarine Deathmatch - Bloodskull
    Limit Removing - Deathmatch - 154KB - (img)
    A nifty wee DM map here with oodles of nice detail and high potential gameplay factor. Or to put it like DooMBoy, ‘heh’. Download it if you’re a keen DM-er, this one looks fun!

• Unmaker - Mike Casten
    ZDoom Compatible - n/a - 57.2KB
    Hmm, a Doom 64 remake. Didn’t work with me but I didn’t put a huge effort this time of night to work it out if I’m honest. I’m not even sure what it actually is.

The Edge mod this week is nothing terribly ground-breaking, but it's not quite as difficult to play as Chronoteeth's last effort (the Alpha set).

I ought to write an official Armory review for it.

Duncan: Did you use Zdoom to test Ni'mrod? The whole point of the new release was to make it work better for GZdoom.

The wintex 4.3 source? But the program itself is at atleast v5.0

What the bloody fuck. This is the THIRD time I've uploaded maps and they don't get reviewed. Different reviewers too.

rf-st, and rf_auto (i think those were the only two)

The WinTex 4.3 source code was already available at 3D Downloads, according to the untility pages. Nothing wrong with a mirror link ofcourse, but just for the record :P

Cheater! You don't get rocket launcher in The Horde of Shtat! And it's primary purpose is for Doomsday not Zdoom compatible port! You should change that and have the Zdoom compatibility between ( and ). But thanks for the review :)

ravage said:

rf-st, and rf_auto (i think those were the only two)

The problem could be because they haven't even been moved out of /incoming. Do you agree?

Ahh feels good to have newstuff back again :) While there's nothing remarkable this week, it's nice to see a weekely occurance of events at Doomworld again. I use the term weekly, very loosely :P

Bloodshedder said:

The problem could be because they haven't even been moved out of /incoming. Do you agree?

I didn't know. I couldn't get into the ftp all day.

Happy 250th /newstuff, a milestone indeed, and in such auspicious circumstances too.

Three cheers.

to the four, shall we use the word, pricks who have left negative feedback, can we have slightly more gratitude in future...of course I bloody cheated on the maps, if I didnt I'd still be going through them now
It was a hard heap to get through so I apologise that it's not up to your above heaven standards...I really shouldn't have bothered should I?

duncan said:

to the four, shall we use the word, pricks who have left negative feedback, can we have slightly more gratitude in future...of course I bloody cheated on the maps, if I didnt I'd still be going through them now
It was a hard heap to get through so I apologise that it's not up to your above heaven standards...I really shouldn't have bothered should I?

I think your reviews are pretty good. They're better than tomd's ^_^

don't stop

The Flange Peddler said:

Open the maps in an editor and show me which ones have more than 2 sectors.

You can if it bothers you so much...for me paricularly I'm not that bothered. EVen the textfile admitted some were more than 2 sectors

Epyo said:

You have a very bright computer duncan. Oh but the reviews were nice.

Ha I don't think it's the computer I think it's just me being a fool. It was late at night, I didnt want to go working out programs :P

Why the hell is Nimrod on /newstuff? It's not exactly new... actually it's at least a couple years old.

kristus said:
The wintex 4.3 source? But the program itself is at atleast v5.0

If you check the TXT you'll see it was left behind by Olivier Montanuy and was uploaded by Andre Majorel. The post 4.3 versions, on the other hand, were done by Javier Fernando Almenara Otoya.