Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Planky

Source Code

Am I able to get the source code for xwe?

I'm interested mainly because it's done in delphi.

Actually, if you want to make an editor that's different I think one that edits lumps directly would be great. Or maybe Csabo would like to add that to XWE.

I mean, being able to make changes to lumps without having to wad them up. Like changing the offsets, editing ENDOOM, making a small edit to TEXTURE1 or PNAMES, and stuff like that.

I say this because while Doom can let you load lumps separately, editors require that you bunch them up first (something that's necessary in some cases and not in others, during editing.)

Thanks for asking guys, but I'd rather not release the source code at this time. I do promise though (and you can take me up on it) that if I ever give up XWE (ie decide no longer to maintain it), I will release it.

myk, I didn't quite get your point about editing lumps directly. Doesn't XWE do exactly that?

Or maybe you are thinking of single lump files, that are NOT in WAD format? Where would you get those from though?

XWE can already save them as plain lumps by doing view raw data and then save. Other apps will dump raw lumps too. Some do the whole wad in one go; which can be done on XWE by selecting all the lumps.

I've been doing it (loading single lumps with the game); sometimes it's handy when trying different resources with a wad.

Ah, I see. XWE can actually open "single entry" files. If you open any file with one of these extensions: '.ART', '.PPM', '.CPS', '.PAL', '.WAV', '.VOC', '.BMP', '.PCX', '.JPG', '.TGA', '.ACT', '.BYT', '.DTX', '.NWX', '.PNG', then XWE will load that one entry. However, it goes into read-only mode, this is mainly done for ripping from all those supported games.

I suppose I could add .LMP to the list, so that it would open single lump entries, and enable actual editing.

Yeah, awesome; like that one can keep some lumps separately retaining info like offsets, and ready to edit.

Another thing you might want to add when you release another version is the name of the file being edited on the window title bar; currently it says only "eXtendable Wad Editor" while it could say "certain.wad - eXtendable Wad Editor" or even optionally (by default off for neatness' sake) "d:\doom\edit\wads\certain.wad - eXtendable Wad Editor" since you can open instances of XWE with wads named identically but in different folders. I assume this info would show up on the Windows Taskbar as well.

Currently the only way to know the name of the file you're browsing or editing is by clicking the File menu where you'll see the list of recently opened files, with the current one on top.

You must be using an old version (or just didn't pay attention) because XWE does display the opened filename in the title bar of the window. The filename without path is after XWE's name, which I could switch though.

Hmm, I was using an old one; v1.14. But I just upgraded and it still doesn't say it. Could that be system specific? I'm using Windows 98. Unless I'm doing something wrong...

It does say the name on the status bar, but that's gone once you start browsing the lumps.

Csabo said:
Let me know how it works out.

It's indeed doing both things, thanks!