Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Doom\II hardest maps

Don't know, it's been ages since I've played the old dooms. One map that I remember being a pain in my ass is map 28 i think. You start off on a platform that slowly lowers into a big room with many raised platforms. On your platform, their's I think two chaingunners. And you fight a cyberdemon at the end with mancubi in cages.

I used to ALWAYS get stuck on Map13 back when I was younger, but it's not hard now...I'd say Map07 can be hard if you get those invisibility spheres.

Hard to say, and it depends what you're doing. Many maps seemed daunting early on but certain techniques make them easier. Like Map06 with its traps, or Map07 with those big monsters in a small map with nowhere definite to hide. Then again Map11 where you can get attacked from any side. Map15 has some of that too, plus it's big. Map17 is rather complex and always takes time to complete, and Map29 is pretty well defended. Map26 has some of Map11's qualities, and on Map30 everything depends on getting on that platform and putting those rockets in.

Some maps become much more deadly if the monsters are -fast (like Map22 because you suddenly land in front of well placed opposition.) Nevermind Nightmare! mode.

McGee's maps tended to provide more danger either through bullet using monsters or traps, and Romero's through strategic layout and defenses, while Petersen's were sometimes more impressive in the way hordes attacked you, but also gave you more advantages, so generally they were easier, though his maps were sometimes harder to navigate (less linear and providing more non-enemy obstacles.)

A long time I thought that MAP09 was too hard - until I realized that this map is broken by many source ports' 'bug fix' that unlimits the Lost Souls spawned by a Pain Elemental. This map made me realize that the limit is there for good reasons.

If I had to choose a hardest map it'd be MAP30. It depends too much on luck whether you can beat it or not.

Doom 2 has some tough shit here and there, but I think Thy Flesh Consumed has some of id's hardest levels, ESPECIALLY the second map E4M2; I forget the name. With no super shotgun, that takes some skill on Ultra Violence.

GoatLord said:
ESPECIALLY the second map E4M2; I forget the name. With no super shotgun, that takes some skill on Ultra Violence.

perfect haterd

In Ultimate Doom, the two hardest maps for most styles are E4M1 and E4M6. For Doom 2, I find maps 8 and 24 aren't trivial for max running, and maps 23 and 29 are tricky for speedrunning.

EDIT: I liked Myk's answer.

Most of D2's levels are tough for me, but the most difficult as far as I remember were the arachnotrons in Dead Simple, but when I finally did it it was the most rewarding fight I ever recalled, I'm talking Hollywood action and Hitchcock tension.

If you're playing Doom 64 on the actual N64 (and not an emulator or the Absolution TC), some of the levels can get extremely tough when you're unable to save within the level!

GoatLord said:

If you're playing Doom 64 on the actual N64 (and not an emulator or the Absolution TC), some of the levels can get extremely tough when you're unable to save within the level!

And the N64 controls suck btw.

I agree with Kristian on UDoom maps. Other than that for some reason I find E2M6 annoying on NM.

Haven't played Doom 2 in ages so I'll just say MAP27, because it's hard to resist skipping it entirely. :P

DarkFoxSoldier20 said:

And the N64 controls suck btw.

You know, it seems like a lot of people have said that, but I never had a problem with it.

MAP10: Refueling Base
Dude I'm playing through Doom 2 for the first time in a long time and I have soooo much trouble with this map, not only the difficult gameplay but the layout is tough too, I think I got lucky finding keys this time.

Limbo in the original Doom I always found hardest, not much to say on it.

Limbo, lots of E4.

In DooM ][, Map07, Refuling Base, Map29, and Map30 are pretty much the hardest.

baronofhell said:
Confession: I have yet to beat doom2 without godmode.

A good way of getting acquainted with the maps and avoiding excessive save gaming is trying the lower difficulty settings first (Hey, not too rough or Hurt me plenty.)

What I meant is I haven't beaten the final level of doom2 without cheating. The rest of the game I wasted those demon bastards, but that icon was a pain in the ass. And I play on ultra violence.

baronofhell said:
Confession: I have yet to beat doom2 without godmode.

Nobody else has said it, so allow me:

BAWHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAhAHHHAAHAhahahhahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH N00b.

I hope you read the post I made right before yours, cause my previous one was misleading. And I'm no noob..just got frustrated with that final boss cause I had no idea wtf to do.

I honestly could beat DooM II but I always get bored and side tracked.Although I've probably played at least each level once through on UV.Does that count?

Hmm...what I can remember Doom2 wasn't really that hard for me, but the later levels did have their moments.
As for Ultimate Doom, E4M1 and E4M6 immediately spring to mind.