Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

Would you get this?

OK, check this out. I have a great deal. would you buy this computer? Check out this deal I've found... It has an AMD 900 MHz processor, 20 gig hard drive (7200 RPM) and 256 megs of RAM with Windows XP. GET THIS. THE PRICE IS 599. Of course that's not all of the features, but that's the basic stuff. There's also a really cool financing deal thingy (I don't quite understand it yet) that makes it really easy to pay for. What would you say?

Nah, I wouldn't get it. RAM is OK, I have only 128, but HD is too small for today standards, so is CPU. I only have a 475mhz K6, but if upgrading to an Athlon, at least one should get something faster (is 1.4ghz still fastest?). I don't really like WinXP, but I assume I may get it eventually to set up a dual boot with Win98, but I just don't have time for this shit right now.

What I do desperately need to do is add more RAM (to a total of 256 at least) and get SBLive! and some good video adapter with VESA support (Voodoo3000 is getting old). Maybe for the new year...

No. I'm getting a Pentium IV, 1.4 GHZ ATHLON, 512MB SDRAM wtih a Geforce2 MX.

A Pentium 4 AND a 1.4Ghz Athlon?

No, for the following reasons:

1. I already have a decent 'puter with adequate capabilities
2. No money to get a new one at this point
3. It makes more sense to just upgrade one hardware component a time.

I said no because:

*HD should be bigger.
*You didn't mention video card.
*Windows XP sux (id get either '98 or NT).
*I would only buy THAT system if it came with a monitor (17", 1600x1200 res, .25 dot pitch).
*Didn't mention any kind of modem or soundcard.

***Suggestion: Wait until you ahve about $1000 to work with or 6 months (whichever comes first, 6 mos goes pretty fast y'know). Then buy one of today's medium/hot game machines for about 50-70% the cost that it goes for nowadays. When undertaking this task consult us game playing gurus on what kinda systems we got - and for starters find out what we have right now so you know what to look for later on (since all this fancy stuff will be cheaper by then and we'll all prolly upgrade before then).

If the video is on-board and so is the sound - you're fukd (I was and I learned only get actual videocards and actual soundcards or you suffer a fate like mine - soundless with only 2 PCI slots to work with).

Danarchist: Maybe not if you keep getting F's like you said you do (it might turn into your "mothers", "fathers", or "brothers" computer if you dont do well - im assuming that you're getting it from Santa [parents]).

Good stuff guys. Great opinions. I am getting it from my dad, because he has these things buildt for his small office at really low prices so he thought he'd get one for home. it's a huge jump from my PII 266 96 RAM 2 Gig (!!!) hard drive. Yeah, 20 gigs is little, but it works. And I'm not sure about PCI/AGP slots yet. All I know is, it's a HUGE upgrade, and I get it next week, so I'm definately NOT complaining (not unless that "on board" thing comes true. Now that would suck). Keep talking!