Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

New DOOM Movie Stills form IGN

It seems like it's going to be not too great but possibly not what those reviews we saw earlier suggested; both were similar and pretty inconsistent, apparently based on preconceptions that the movie had to be this or that; overly obsessed about the monsters being hellish like in DOOM 3. Plus, the fact that the monsters are "mortal" goes well with DOOM. Unlike in DOOM 3 where you see ghostly skulls and need a soulcube to kill the Cyberdemon and some possesed guy talks to you in a half-life manner, DOOM's monsters are pretty much growling beasts, cybernetic or not; and since Hell is gone in the movie, so are fireballs. The original DOOM showed no direct signs of ghostly demonic possession, and thus we've always had people saying; but are they aliens? Not that they are, but a purely organic hellishness (aside from the flames) fits the game well.

DOOM 3 added in "traditional" possession and spiritual elements; the worst thing in DOOM 3, aside from the playability, in my opinion, because they had to explain the fireballs and the relation to a burning Hell: elements demanded by fans, which were left unexplained in DOOM because it didn't take things kind of seriously like DOOM 3 did. Those elements fit DOOM's carefree style, but in DOOM 3 they weighed consistency down (along with the fact that the game tried to be both a game of fear and action at once.) In a movie, they mix even less if you're looking for those effects.

The main difference between the reviews, and probably the one that really matters, is whether the action is fun and the ambientation effective. We'll see.

myk said:

elements demanded by fans

No shit?!? Next you'll be telling me that this vocal majority, those who wanted an elaboration of the Hell/spiritual themes in the game, would also expect the same for the movie. I don't know, man... I'm going to have to adopt a wait-and-see attitude on that one.

From what I can gather, there's as much of the spirit of the original Doom in the movie as there is of Doom3 or the story arc itself. Simple fact: I personally don't want this "new take on the franchise" trend to continue. Consequently, I won't be seeing it.

Technician said:

I think I liked Wheeled Pinkey Demon.

IMO, it's a good mixture of the Doom 3 design (cybernetic legs, hood-shaped head) and the Doom design (the horns on the head and really huge mouth)

This is supposed to be our beloved Doom Marine :(

I'd hit it

The sets don't look that bad

Group shot, but I'd rather have a shot of the "twins" in the back if you get my drift. Damn...look at them tits.

OMG DIE SPOOKY

Numbermind said:
Next you'll be telling me that this vocal majority, those who wanted an elaboration of the Hell/spiritual themes in the game, would also expect the same for the movie.

All this happened during development, before contact with fans; the point is that to insert the traditional hellish elements in DOOM 3 they went into details which I think didn't help the game. They did this being conservative in the design; being "DOOM" it had to have demons, flames, possession. They could also have done something more materialistic, (like the apparently movie does in its way) yet more risky, though possibly better for a fear oriented game, concentrating the demonic element more on gore, writhing flesh, abominations, and accidentally spooky sounds, than on cliched FPS monsters, villainic voices and ghostly whispers. Not eliminating FPS combat, but gearing it to an environmentally immersive sort of play (as opposed to pure action.) They possibly made a mistake; but all Carmack really wanted was to unleash his new engine. Fair enough.

Simple fact: I personally don't want this "new take on the franchise" trend to continue. Consequently, I won't be seeing it.

In my opinion, it need not be perfect; and it's great that it gives exposure to the games. In any case, were it boring or bad I might avoid it so as to not waste time and money, although apparently I'll see it once for free, so...

Could be worse, his broad face doesn't seem that much different than the doomguy's... let's see him do the ouch face!

BBG said:

That's a joke, right? It looks like a high school TV producion class made it by grabbing some footage from a Doom 3 video and superimposing a shot of Timmy's paintball gun over the Doom 3 shotty/machinegun.

Numbermind said:

Simple fact: I personally don't want this "new take on the franchise" trend to continue. Consequently, I won't be seeing it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again since people around here seem a little too dense to understand: if you honestly expect a to-the-letter replica of the game on the screen, then you absolutely have no imagination whatsoever. IMO variety is the spice of life, and it's a known fact that id has been very picky about what kind of script a Doom movie should have over the years, so if Carmack likes this one, it's obviously something to look forward to regardless of how close to the game it is. Besides, I think trying to duplicate the game exactly would be a bit too ambitious and over-budget. Thinking otherwise makes one a fanboy as far as I'm concerned.