Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

Quake 4 - Fun!!

I've enjoyed it so far. The shotgun and machinegun pack a good punch. I prefered Q2's hyperblaster, the new version feels a lot weaker. The nailgun is simply a chaingun.

Combat is fun, the enemies are aggresive and the friendly AI is pretty good (no annoyance factor as with HL2)

The vehicle sections are ok but nothing special. I'd have liked the mech to be more destructive, rampaging through a building would give more opportunity for pyrotechnics :)

[EDIT] I forgot that the skyboxes (or whatever they use) are really ugly.

Vegeta said:

Is the final boss as dissapointing as the Makron?

My guess is that it dose. Most games these days have a crappy, half assed end boss.

I think serious sam is an exception to that. And Painkiller, by the way, I gotta find that damn game, got it around here somewhere. Never reinstalled it after replacing the hard drive, and never finished playing it, didn't get very far actually.

lol, I was playing hl2 deathmatch last night and I kept saying "rip and tear your guts, rip and tear!!" Nobody knew what the hell was wrong with me, lol!

baronofhell said:

Uhhh, all this talk about the weaponry in quake 4, and no mention of the rail gun??? It must suck I guess.

The railgun in Quake 4 is probably the worst weapon in the game, just as it is in Quake2/3. That's just my opinion, though.

AgentSpork said:

The railgun in Quake 4 is probably the worst weapon in the game, just as it is in Quake2/3. That's just my opinion, though.

How can you not enjoy blasting enemies into little gibblets?

baronofhell said:

I think serious sam is an exception to that. And Painkiller, by the way, I gotta find that damn game, got it around here somewhere. Never reinstalled it after replacing the hard drive, and never finished playing it, didn't get very far actually.

Painkiller and Serious Sam had great bosses. I wish that games would go back to old schoo style bosses. You dont need to solve some puzzle
or hit any swtiches. Just one huge boss with alot of heath and very strong attacks. I hate the fact that most of the newer end bosses you can kill in five min and there attacks are weak.

I liked the new iron maiden design personally. they made her fun to fight this time, where as I'd railgun the old one from a distance as soon as I realised they were nearby.

I liked the Quake 4 railgun as well. a 3 shot clip is better than one long reload and the scope was a good addition as well. It's a snipers weapon so naturally you give it a zoom.

So there's no soundtrack for the multiplayer part eh? Now that sucks. Can you play mp with computer bots as in quake3 arena? And are their different characters you can choose from?

Just finished it. I had alot of fun playing it. It was alot more fast paced than Doom 3, alot more action. The game was alot more disturbing than Doom 3(but of course, Doom 3 hell takes the spot).

Hope they come out with an expansion pack where they finally defeat the strogg.

Skeletor said:

Hope they come out with an expansion pack where they finally defeat the strogg.

You crazy! You want to kill the golden egg chicken?

I have one question for anyone out there who's played Q4:

Does any of the in-game story progression make reference to the original Marine you played as in Quake 2? Like, is his own character talked about in the game, or whatever happened to him?

For some reason this was on my mind, as I seem to have a penchant for strong storylines lately, and the amount of work you did in Q2 plot-wise seems that you should at least deserve a mention in the new game...maybe not the best idea to turn to FPS's for something that deep, though. :P

Relica Religia said:

Does any of the in-game story progression make reference to the original Marine you played as in Quake 2? Like, is his own character talked about in the game, or whatever happened to him?

Yes, in the very beginning of Quake4 your commander tells about the Q2 hero who just single-handedly defeated the makron.
I don´t know if there´s more talking about him during the game, I´m currently in the middle of it I guess (I´m in the waste processing level now).

Tetzlaff said:

(I´m in the waste processing level now).

I swear, is it just me, or is there a waste processor in just about EVERY game these days?

I'd say it's fun. It's funner -yes I invented the word. Funner than HL2 and Doom 3. Doom3 had the slow pace when's the next demon going to pop out and try to scare me parts. HL 2 had the I like to ride the fucking boat for 5 hrs and get molested by 20 headcrabs in dark alleys.

Quake 4 has none of that. Just flat out run in there with your squad and blast the fuckers to bits. Yes there are vehicles, and the take out the turret part is kind of hard on veteran.

But after you fight the two floating guys that are stroggified Duke Nukem alien ripoffs, it's easy street. You can just follow the path, ignoring everything shooting at you. Then you hit the spider thingy, and that blows up pretty easy.

The vehicle parts are better than the HL2 bullshit. I hate the music. The whole patriotic pawn military theme is cool for about the first time you hear it.

Then you get fond memories of hearing NIN and Sonic Mayhem while playing Quake, and you say this music is for faggot military men that enjoy bondage in POW camps.

I'm suprised I can get away with running it at 1280X1024 on medium quality. I ran it on ultra high at 640x480 for a bit and failed to see a real difference, aside from loads of system lag.

Considering that I hate Quake 2 with a passion, I'm currently enjoying Quake 4. It's better than Doom 3 and the beginning sequence of the Strogg Medical Facility is a must-see!