Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KwadDamyj

Quake I v1.06 shareware demo.

In the interest of purveying classic games much as other people purvey aged wines, I have downloaded the Quake I v1.06 shareware demo onto my Compaq Presario laptop, running Windows XP as its OS.

Installation went well and was simple. However, trying to actually play the game, the DOS prompt that pops up on my laptop gives me an error message of some sort. No game, just an error message on DOS.

Do I have an OS incompatability problem, here? If so, is there any way around it for me? I will provide screen captures if necessary (but you'll have to remind me what the key combo for it is).

All assistance is appreciated!

~KwadDamyj

Downloading WinQuake or QuakeGL should fix it, but I bet it won't.

The Print Screen key will get you your screen capture.

~Coopersville

Will this work for the retail version of Quake? I still have my copy and miss playing it.

------------------------------------------

Woot! 100th post! (Like anyone cares.)

Providing you got the commercial CD version of Quake, WinQuake and GLQuake ought to already have been installed with the game.

Otherwise, you might want to look into an alternative port like Telejano, QMB, TomazQuake, DarkPlaces, or ARQ-Lite.

Yeah, I have the retail version, and I couldn't get it to work before.

Where can I find a good Quake Source Port?

Damn XP...

WildWeasel said:

Providing you got the commercial CD version of Quake, WinQuake and GLQuake ought to already have been installed with the game.

Otherwise, you might want to look into an alternative port like Telejano, QMB, TomazQuake, DarkPlaces, or ARQ-Lite.

Don't forget Tenebrae.

-_DLD_- said:

Yeah, I have the retail version, and I couldn't get it to work before.

Damn XP...

Get Tenebrae if your computer can handle it. Also, WildWeasel, I have the retail version of Quake but no win quake, WinQuake was added on a later version. anyways, try tenebrae.sourceforge.net and SOMETIME in the future, there should be a tenebrae 2, which uses Doom 3 tech.

-_DLD_- said:

Take a look at this thread for some suggestions from various people. I'm still happily using Joequake.

BTW, if you want to use the original GLQuake, then you just need to nuke the OPENGL32.DLL that came with it. That was for very old video cards, and just buggers things up with current systems. Having said that, I'm not sure GLQuake has any advantages over some of the modern ports.

Ayu said:

Get Tenebrae if your computer can handle it. Also, WildWeasel, I have the retail version of Quake but no win quake, WinQuake was added on a later version. anyways, try tenebrae.sourceforge.net and SOMETIME in the future, there should be a tenebrae 2, which uses Doom 3 tech.

How good a system do you need for Tenebrae to work decently, anyway? I tried it on my Compaq Presario and for whatever reason it arsed up in many many creative ways. I wonder if my desktop (2.4 gHZ or so) will do somewhat better...

if you look at my thread, tenebrae is rather old, and is crap, and the author is busy doing crap at splash damage. Tenebrae 2 doesn't offer anything Darkplaces doesn't have.

So yeah, if you want the pretty, use darkplaces.

Grazza said:

Take a look at this thread for some suggestions from various people. I'm still happily using Joequake.

BTW, if you want to use the original GLQuake, then you just need to nuke the OPENGL32.DLL that came with it - they don't need it. That was for very old video cards, and just buggers things up with current systems. Having said that, I'm not sure GLQuake has any advantages over some of the modern ports.

Thanks Grazza. I Googled WINQUAKE, but I'll try these to see if they enhance the original game.

I just tried playing it on Hard.

Holy freaking crap. 2 Shamblers in a row in Level 3. I don't remember Quake being that hard. Not even HR throws a pair of the strongest monster in the game at you that early.

gargoylol said:

if you look at my thread, tenebrae is rather old, and is crap, and the author is busy doing crap at splash damage. Tenebrae 2 doesn't offer anything Darkplaces doesn't have.

So yeah, if you want the pretty, use darkplaces.

Darkplaces does some mondo nasty things to the response from my controls, for some reason.