Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

Exorcist.WAD (?)

1. I'll only post screens that have been shown to the public (well maybe not exactly DoomWorld public) before, or their improved versions.

2. The idea of this topic is very typical newproject type, and it's purposes are as follows:
- I write down whatever I have already decided about the WAD, and decided to make it public.
- And you, fellow forum users, are kindly requested to give away serious ideas for minor improvements, like weapons, monsters, inventory, and such.
- Please do not post any map ideas - I will not use map concepts that went to the public.
This is meant to be a surprise ;)

3. The serious shit.
The name of the WAD is still uncertain. I did name it exorcist.wad just for now, to indicate the atmosphere which it is supposed to have. It's a horror-themed Map (maps?), with you as an amateur occultist and vampire-slayer-wannabe, that in the first place doesn't know a single thing about vampires. You have your trusty .45cal (without silver bullets tho'), and enough guts to spy on a psychotic priest, accused of 27 ritual murders.
The mentioned priest is believed to lead a cult, which perform dark rituals, and worship gods of neverending death... and you think this is an interesting place to begin your vampire-related research. How naive.

Anyway, this is atmosphere oriented WAD. No midless running, shooting and such. Different types of environments (to be honest - this is how the map started looong ago: by testing potential enviroment kinds in ZDoom). Lots of different locations, including some in the parralel world of undead known as the Underdark(yeah, I consider changing it, as it's from Forgotten Realms).
Almost entire WAD is lighted exclusively with GZDoom dynamic lights, and I'm doing everything to make it run fast in all locations, but since my computer is a really powerful son-of-a-b***h, I can't say that you will not experience FPS drop in ]the Underdark parts of the map. There's also Solarsnowall's type fog in some places, but I hope that It'll run fine.

This WAD is not supposed to have a lot of weapons and enemies. I would like to have 5-6 weapons with different types of damage, so blowing up a Vampire won't be easy. I'm also thinking about some equipment, maybe even black magic spells to aid you. There's already a flashlight, and it's very helpful.

=======================

If you have read the entire post, and are not asleep yet, then know, that these are the lumps I need most critically:
-undead monster sprites
-equipment ideas

I always wanted to make a terrain level like that last screenie, but decided it would be too hassly.

I'm also working on an atmospheric zdoom level, but instead of vampires its daisy the decapitated bunny head. Anyways, I like the atmosphere and the flashlight. I don't have any equipment ideas but I do have some various sprites to add more atmosphere such as trees, flames (almost like the quake1 flames), and a dragonfly (add ambience to swamp enviroments). I know you said no map tips but thats all I have to offer.

Oh yeah, I do have a zombie I made. I can send you a link to the WAD that has it if you want.

Maybe you could use the flashlight at the same time with the pistol? I would... but I would hold the flashlight in my left hand and the pistol in the right hand...

The Weasel approves. This looks fantastic, Ellmo - new and original architecture ideas, and the atmosphere looks pretty good so far.

Feel free to use whatever you want from DOOM 2.5 (sprites, textures, flats, sounds), but please put some mention in the text file.

In other topic, looks very promising, I think I'll give a try to this source port.

Vegeta said:

Feel free to use whatever you want from DOOM 2.5 but please put some mention in the text file.

No worries Vegeta, I'm aware the flashlight is fron Doom2.5, and I will credit everyone who helped me (consciously and not).

Looking good.
Are you going to use those SWAT-zombie sprites that I made a year ago? They're pretty shitty in my humble opinion.

Nmn said:

Looking good.
Are you going to use those SWAT-zombie sprites that I made a year ago? They're pretty shitty in my humble opinion.

What's more important, they don't fit here anymore :(

As you may remember, the original story behind this map (about a year ago as you said), was that you arrived at the forrest with your SWAT team to capture a psychotic priest. Things have changed just a little from back then.

[undiscreet]
Hey, Paul, would you find some time to give me a hand with this? With *cough* sprites *cough* to be more exact?
[/undiscreet]

I'll need to know what You exactly need. Animated sprites will take a bit longer, weapons (if You want them animated) as well. Textures I believe should take less.

The answer is-Yes.

sitters said:

Looks good :)

Nice to hear it from you. Your maps look like they were out of this game :) They are terrific as well.

Some like to stick to originals, some like advancing more.

ellmo said:

*BUMP* GZD 3D_Floors in usage:

( http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/83/doom000033ok.jpg )

Zomg 3D slopes! Sweet :D

My one suggestion is to use different textures on the 3D structure, though. Maybe it's just me, but I've always found that shawn2 looks really bad if you use a lot of it in one place. Take Spawning Vats, for example ;P

And yeah, I see the doorstop and the darker texture in there...but I think it could look a lot better if you added some sort of contrast to the main structure.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

superloud4 said:

Take Spawning Vats, for example ;P

Yeah, one of the best maps evar :)

Some equipment ideas I have for this are.

-Flares, you drop it and mark/iluminate the place for a while (ala Aliens vs predator)

-Torch (unlike the flashlight it fire invisible projectiles that vanish in the same place, with diferent light intensity), and that in attack can burn certain objects, may be even a room (surronded by invisible flamable objects)

-A pipe (to break some zombies heads), that make more damage than the fist.

-Not equipment, but a way to lock doors if you are being chased by zombies.

-Kronos (the new monster from the DOOM cellphone game).

Thanks, Vegeta. I've been thinking about the flares as well, but, if you had a flashlight... why use flares? I really couldn't find a good reason for them to exist (the same as the torch), so I guess they won't.

Everything seems that there won't be equipment (or very little, like medkits and such), but more like black magic spells. Both Hexen and Heretic have some artifacts which effects we could use.

ellmo said:

There is a TITLEMAP demo for those who are interested.

Very nice work, the fog efect is very original

ruffj05 said:

omfg please tell me where i could get this wad at...

Nowhere yet... It's not done :D

ruffj05 said:

edit -- btw, the link to gzdoom seems to be down. and i didnt only hotlink it.

Yeah, the server we use is stinky, and it has been long time since we saw our moderator. Try again later. It'll surely work.

its working now, thanks for fillin me in anyways. i also came across EDGE, i dont really understand these ports though, they say they can do all these things ive never imagined... i dont know.

Sweet stuff so far. I hope you do this right, a wad like this would be amazing. But so far it looks like you're doing everything right!