Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom: The Movie: The Review

Johnatone said:

Seriously, people, get the fuck over this. It wasn't that significant, it's not a big deal, and you really didn't need the flashlight anyway.

And this is why the idea of having flashlights on the guns was a strong point in Quake 4.

So the moive has alot of monster get the shit shot out of them? I might just like it. I didnt expcet the plot, story or acting to be great. I was just hoping for some good action.

Its a video game moive. Every one should know by now that it wasnt going to be true to the video game. There is no point in getting pissed cuz it isnt like the game.

I wasn't expecting much of a deep plot either, but I always want some descent acting in any movie I watch. When the acting's cheesy, it really has a strong effect on the movie imo.

Man, I wish I lived in the States ... I could be watchin' the movie right now!! I'm in Australia so I gotta wait 'till next Thursday. I can't wait, though - I wanna see it just 'cause it's Doom and for all the shooting and monsters and killing and blood and guts and explosions and shit!! Me and my friends are so psyched!

So yeah, it didn't end up being completely true to the game which no-one is happy about, but you know, I'm just so grateful that it didn't turn out as bad as it was looking to be with all those initial rumours ... y'know, no Mars, no UAC, no teleporters, man-made virus, etc... The fact that it has come this far from that makes me happy enough.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thought of it.

Very fun review. :D

The review actually made me excited aboot the movie and interests me into seeing it.

That would be awesome if there was a Deathmatch part. Or a capture the flag part.

"What are you guys doing?!"
"Sarge we can't do anything! They're, spawn camping! *boom* AAHHHH!"

Kind of sad though, waiting all these years only to get a mediocre (at best) film...

When will you guys get tired of this predictable Hollywood CRAP?

Big tits, guns, and hi-speed chases seem to do it for most poeple, probably the reason why no one understands or care a single bit about stuff like this piece of crap having nothing to do with the game really.

Or not giving a crap about vital stuff such as this:

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a37f592f42625.htm

Oh well, the earth will burn I guess.

XDelusion said:

When will you guys get tired of this predictable Hollywood CRAP?

Big tits, guns, and hi-speed chases seem to do it for most poeple, probably the reason why no one understands or care a single bit about stuff like this piece of crap having nothing to do with the game really.

Oh, lighten up would you? The purpose of films are to entertain. If "big tits, guns, and hi-speed chases" do it for most people then these people are being entertained and the movies are achieving what they were only ever made to do in the first place - entertain people.

XDelusion said:
Or not giving a crap about vital stuff such as this:

And there is absolutely no reason to bring this kind of thing into a conversation about movies. That's just ridiculous.

XDelusion said:Or not giving a crap about vital stuff such as this:

Oh well, the earth will burn I guess. [/B]

Good point there. Much of that mimics my own feelings.

I've been holding out on the movie for the entire time I knew about it. This latest review gives me fresh hope. I always hoped that they'd do the movie like the game, but I kind of knew it would change.

Still, it sounds like what they wanted to do was something "in the spirit" of Doom, not follow some plot. It's different, but different is good. They say a change is as good as a rest, and although Hell would have been cool, it's a little old.

if my parents let me (I'm over 18 and I still listen to them), I intend to see this movie with as many friends as I can pull together (not many). I want to cheer simply because it's Doom, and it's fun.

I think that's what the film and the games are all about, really: Having fun. Go to the movie and just get lost in it. I've seen so many films that people say have bad acting, bad script, etc, but I've loved them anyway, just because I let it take me for a ride. The Transporter, Rocky IV, Alien v. Predator, all those types of movies people say suck, but they're just so fun to watch.

Don't go to Doom expecting anything exceptional. Just go and enjoy a good action flick. Don't see it so critically. Let it take you for a ride. Ever go on the roller coaster just to scream for no reason? It's exactly like that.
Okay, I'm rambling now, so I'll shut up. Sorry

I just got the new issue of Maxim in the mail yesterday, and they gave the movie 2 out of 5 stars. Note: Not that I rate Maxim's opinions on movies, or anything for that matter, very highly, I'm just sharing what they thought. They only gave the movie a couple sentences (mostly descriptive), but they didn't say anything negative.

Johnatone said:

Seriously, people, get the fuck over this. It wasn't that significant, it's not a big deal, and you really didn't need the flashlight anyway.

i think cyb was just trying to be funny. lighten up. jesus.

dethtoll said:
lighten up. jesus.

Heh, according to his sig, it must be really important for him.

My mother came home notifying me of a review she read on Doom. The only thing she said "no stars"(out of five). Things aren't looking good folks, looking very bad yes sir.

Oh shit, it's out today. Still, I'm going to wait a week and wait for the matinee (plus wait to see what all of you say). I guess I should have dad bring home a USA Today, see what it got.

baronofhell: No stars? Holy fuck.

dethtoll said:

i think cyb was just trying to be funny. lighten up. jesus.

Yeah, I know, you're right, but ya know, it was just a concept idea to make the game scarier, and everyone acts like it's the worse thing in the world. I think it comes from constantly hearing X-Play run the game down because of it.

Heh, I was actually one of the supporters of no flashlight + gun at the same time... I was just making a joke since it's such an outspoken complaint. That and 'Doom 3 is really dark'.

baronofhell said:

My mother came home notifying me of a review she read on Doom. The only thing she said "no stars"(out of five). Things aren't looking good folks, looking very bad yes sir.

I wouldn't expect most movie critics to give it a good score; it's not a good movie. The guy who reviews movies for our local paper gave it an F. Like I said, you're either going to hate it or enjoy it for what it is. There's not much middle ground really. Gamers are probably more likely to enjoy it than movie critics and people who think every movie should be Citizen Kane or something.

hmmm from what i have observed... u either just about hate it or you love it and think its real fun, this making me conclude that this is a "3 stars out of 5 movie." because you have all the people who hate it (a lot of times 0 stars) and you got the people who love it (a lot of times 5 stars) but there seems to be few inbetween. Then, you average that out to get 3 stars (out of 5)

The Rock said yesterday on the Daily Show that there were portals to hell.

He also said he was going to become a DEMON. Note that please.
Also, remember in Doom classic, how we didn't know about hell until the end of the second or first episode? That's what this is like most likely.

About the review though, it honestly didn't tell me anything about the movie that people didn't know already.

Kirra

I think staying true to the original game's story would make a better movie, but judging by Cyb's review, this sounds like a B-movie esque zombie flick with an 80's sci-fi plot, and some Doom trademarks thrown in for good measure. Which means I should love it.

I just came back from the first showing of it over here (on a big screen with good theater audio) and I liked it, but I'm still just in the end really disappointed they pussied out on the "teleporter experiments leading to hell" angle.

I saw this midnight show on Thursay, and I have to say it was the worst movie I've seen in awhile. How bad? It made me come back here just to trash it.

Let's start of with what makes Doom, Doom.

1) Hoards of enemies. Giant fucking hoards of enemies killing all.
Doom movie: There were 30, overall, MAYBE. And they did not rush forth and destroy all. Most of the time they ran away. The entire basis of Doom is a giant invasion fucks over and totally overwhelms the bases. Instead we get a bunch of monsters playing hide-and-go seek in a cheap Aliens knock-off. And not only that, there's a big three types of monsters, as Cyb said. I repeat: THREE MONSTERS.
2)Demons, Hell. Am I correct in thinking Hell was the most memorable and badass part of both games?
Doom movie: No Hell. None at all. And no demons, either. They're all mutated humans. Okay.
3)A huge, maze-like facility for the non-Hell parts. Either run down and concretey or once-was-shiny but now is all tranishfied.
Doom movie: A generic, shiny chrome facility for the main parts. Then a somewhat run down area, and a sewer. Literally, a sewer. Regular, Earth-style sewer on Mars. Okay. The marines run and back and forth between them so fast you can't help but connecting the sets together in your mind.

I think those are the three main aspects of Doom, more-or-less. If the movie were a good movie, it could overcome this, I suppose, though it would still be a action movie barely based on Doom. But it's not a good movie. No, it is not. It is 100% typical screenwriting, with the crack marine squad sent in the biggest bunch of fuckups since the Backstreet Boys. The action, too, is pitiful. Mostly they don't even get to use their guns. The few times they do are at singular monsters running away. The only time in the entire movie a hoarde is faced is when they mow down a bunch of zomeies . . . kinda.

It's not all bad though. From when they go back to Earth (suspiciously looking exactly the same as Mars), Sarge goes a little nuts, which yields some interesting results. And then there's a scene with Grimm (those fuckers) and his sister which I thought was actually well done. And then the first person sequence, which I have to say was fucking excellent. I expected it to suck, but it was actually the best part of the movie, and the closest it came to actually being like Doom. Then the movie closes with Grimm fighting Sarge, because you KNOW you saw that coming at some point. The very end was kinda ambigious though, which I'll give them props for in. Also when Sarge gets the BFG was pretty classic, and when Goat turns into a zombie was good too. So, maybe 20 minutes of non-suckdom.

In the end, I think the Doom movie can be summed up with this simple statement: They a give a chickenshit civillian with no legs a pistol and a couple of grenades, and make him the last line of defense between the "aliens" or whatever and the portal to Earth. I think that says it all.

Grimm said:

1) Hoards of enemies. Giant fucking hoards of enemies killing all.

I always see this brought up, but there is nowhere in Doom where you face more than 15 or so monsters, and in Doom 2 it only goes slightly higher a few times, but barely. In user-made wads sure, but not really in the original game.

Okay, well, except for the first-person sequence, and the zombies, I don't think it gets above "one", and I'm positive it doesn't get above two. Unless I've already started to erase my memories of the flick, which would be a good thing.

Heh The Rock was on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart last night (hooray capital letters), he walked on with the BFG pointed at Jon Stewart. Jon Stewart could barely pick it up, teehee. It was a good interview though. Really made me want to see the movie. He stressed that violence and gore were the main points, and who doesn't like sweet lovely blood now and then?

My nephew and I just got back from seeing the DOOM movie. Wasn't the greatest in the world, but a bit better than I expected, and entertaining nontheless.

For a movie connoisseur, most of the Internet reviews seem to be pretty much dead on (rating the movie C- to C+). But if you're a DOOM fan, I think you'ld enjoy the movie... I did -:)

A couple of things that I enjoyed, the last names of some of the scientists, as well as the transmogrification that "Pinkie" turns into <G>.

P.S. Although "UAC" is a primary theme in the move, THERE ARE NO CRATES ANYWHERE, DAMMIT <LOL>!

Epyo said:

Heh The Rock was on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart last night (hooray capital letters), he walked on with the BFG pointed at Jon Stewart. Jon Stewart could barely pick it up, teehee. It was a good interview though. Really made me want to see the movie. He stressed that violence and gore were the main points, and who doesn't like sweet lovely blood now and then?

Heh, that was funny. But the rock mentioned HELL, PORTALS, and demons! Damn you!

Marty Razor Kirra said:

Heh, that was funny. But the rock mentioned HELL, PORTALS, and demons! Damn you!

He was [is?] a wrestler that means he got his brians smacked around abit. I bet he mixed up the moive and the game.