Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom: The Movie: The Review

I'd probably like it if the bases were built out of huge brown and green concrete blocks and there were outdoor shots with a bright green misty mountainous skyline.

For once, Fredrik, fuckin' a.

Wow *looks around* I really like what you guys have done with the place! I havn't been here in ages...

Anyway, a movie about DOOM. What should any person expect from a movie based on this game? Well, No matter how much money was thrown at it, and even if it had a star studded cast, there are things about making a DOOM movie that should always be foremost in mind....

1) It is what it is: Don't expect an epic film based on a computer game's 2 paragraph plot line.

2) It had to be done: There is no argument here. None. Anything that has such a huge impact on the world eventually becomes a movie. In this case, it should have been done when they first talked about it.

As for #2, I wasn't exaggerating. Maybe today noone remembers the huge impact this game had in the U.S. It was a phenomenon at the time.

I'll see the movie and just take what it gives, because if you're a fan of Doom, you have to see it, if only to say you saw it.

Thay also probably didn't have the budget to make a good 'hell'. And hell, no matter how we concieve it, was fire and brimstone and demons and satanic in the game, hence, how it should be in a movie.

You'd be surprised how many people in our favorite movies are british. You just dont realize it until theyre in an interview when theyre not using an american accent! Freaks me out every time...

That's all...

Jason

Bah, the simple plot was a huge blessing, or would have been for writers who weren't incompetent. They weren't written into a corner by anything, they were free to do a lot. Instead they got rid of what little DOOM did specify and took a giant shit on a great concept.

My bet is the candy-ass studio execs decided that the "hell" theme would be too reactionary and wimped out for the mutant premise. Funny how doing something that is greatly offensive usually increases returns.

I got a question for those of you that have seen it. Dose the Rock Rock Bottom any of the monsters.Its seems like he has to do it atleast
once in every movie.

My wife and I saw DOOM last night. My wife knows nothing about DOOM and loved it. I am a DOOMer from the 5.25" disk shareware days and I liked it. We both agree that the fight at the end was pretty hokey. By the way, the wheelchaired character was nicknamed 'Pinky' because he becomes the demon which in the orginal DOOM game has always been nicknamed 'Pinky'. Did anyone but me catch that?

Uh, yeah man. We all knew that. What everyone is wondering is why he's called Pinky in the first place. Why did he refer to himself as Pinky?

baronofhell said:

Uh, yeah man. We all knew that. What everyone is wondering is why he's called Pinky in the first place. Why did he refer to himself as Pinky?

Watch the movie again. He has a long-ass polish name like "Pinkedowski" or soemthing. Thus the Nickname "Pinky".

There's also one Japanese marine whose long-ass named is substituted by "Mac". His only line in the movie is saying his name. then he gets his head knocked the fuck off.

[Allright, i've also resurrected myself from the death to reply. Don't worry - i'll be at least very quiet, if not totally absent in the future. At least, if i don't forget :P]

No, i haven't seen the movie yet either. It's running first at Nov 3 here, and i intend to watch it. Still, i have some doubts about if it's really DooM -- and you may remember that i'm a bit orthodox about that.

I must confess that i didn't even play DooM 3, but i've seen it at the KCC (our local computer club) when we prepared a lanparty (ofcourse, i only did the technical stuff, i hate present-day gamer culture). It just did not _feel_ like DooM. I've read this entire thread until now, and i must agree with Frederik -- it's a DooM movie if it is made in the DooM style. Many comments i read here are about that 'new things ain't bad', which i must totally agree with. However, to make the _right_ new things is a lot harder. There is good level design, there's bad level design, there's good storywriting, there's bad storywriting [do i need to go on?] -- it hasn't anything to do with quality. There are many mods to DooM which aren't DooM at all -- and even though, some actually have the _quality_ and _atmosphere_ of DooM, even with Total Conversions, non-DooM plotlines, and such.

Personally i believe that they didn't set themselves enough limitations, but try and get the technology a little better to mask the lack of creativeness -- IMO exactly the same that's happened in _most_, but fortunately not all, games from the last few years (look at Metroid Prime for a perfect example -- the GameCube hardware is technically serverly limited, but they nonetheless got creative and got all out of it they could, actually the same challenge as creating a very complex level without getting a 'visplane overflow').

Well, i'll see the movie anyways, because it pretends to be DooM -- i want to judge it for myself. And besides, because many of you judge the FPS sequence to be actually very good, i'm looking forward to it.

I really hope i won't be disappointed as i was when i first saw DooM 3. DooM I/II/Final and many of it's addons where love at first sight, like i was touching something special -- i really hope to get that feeling again...

I did like the scene where the "imp" gets stuck in the nano-door. And the first-person fight with pinky was pretty cool. But overall I thought it pretty much sucked.

-0 memorable characters.
-Stupid contrived idea for the source of the monsters.
-Lame action scenes
-Shitty lighting that looks just like Doom3 and reminds you you're watching a B-movie
-Cheap sets that have no continuity or feeling of an actual place
-Only 3 types of monsters. So many missed oppertunities:(

I just saw the movie, but I'm already forgetting it.

Jonesy89 said:

I've got to say, I came out of the theatre with mixed feelings. It was an enjoyable movie, but the absence of some of the things that made Doom Doom was kind of saddening. It was cool how the first part had good Doom 3 type scares, interesting how the infecton affected people depending on ther soul, but it would have been nice to have more than that one FPS sequence, and a trip into Hell. Overall, a damn fun movie to watch.

I completely have the same opinoin as you do. although i thought one FPS sequence was fine.

I saw it this weekend and my gueses were correct, it was pretty bad. Was I supposed to feel for Karl Urban's plight that his parent's died? :P

I haven't seen the movie, just got a look into the novelisation.
Did anybody notice, that there is a marine, who refuses to follow the order to kill innocent civilians?
That's from the original plot!

Greetings
Funduke

To celebrate this major event, please upload some 94 wads.

I'm such a badass lately :D

baronofhell said:

No. No people's eyebrow either.

I'm glad we didn't have to see that...though it'd have been funny, especially if The Kid saw him and asks another marine "what's he doing?".

And Karl Urban yells out "Theoden!" when the kid gets shot, and gets down beside his dead body and cries. And then he tells the Rock that they'll never be able to take down all those zombies with a direct frontal attack, and the Rock replies by saying they'll do it to make a diversion.

Nick Perrin said:

And Karl Urban yells out "Theoden!" when the kid gets shot, and gets down beside his dead body and cries. And then he tells the Rock that they'll never be able to take down all those zombies with a direct frontal attack, and the Rock replies by saying they'll do it to make a diversion.

Hhaha...I'm sure that "Theoden!" could be edited over "IT WAS HIS FIRST MISSION!!" complete with flying spittle, saliva foam, and all.

There should be a do-over of that movie with all of these things edited in...call it The Lighter Side of DooM or something.