Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Crix

Game Physics

Damn, I've been playing Hitman for the past week and the physics in this game is awesome! I'm sure there's room for improvement with body joints bending a little to far when bodies are being dragged and meshes getting messed up a result. But it is just so rewarding to see a body slide of an edge and fall properly... instead of just hanging over like the corpse decided that he didn't like gravity.

Anyway, I've decided that DOOM3 MUST HAVE this level of physics built into their game. After playing hitman, and seeing what happens to guys when I get em with the sawn off shotgun (the fucking fly across the room, smack against the wall, and then bounce or slide to the floor. the whole time their appendages flying through the air realistically, their angular and linear momentum conserved)... well it just brings a tear to my eye really. Absolutely beautiful.

DOOM3 MUST HAVE THIS! THIS WILL MAKE YOUR GAME 100 TIMES BETTER!!

peace

FUCKING AMEN

Will it be there? I know for sure they're planning to add a pretty robust Physics system, in fact, they have one dedicated to that.

DOOM3 MUST HAVE THIS! THIS WILL MAKE YOUR GAME 100 TIMES BETTER!!

My game? It's not MY game. Is it yours, Zal? Or does John Carmack frequent these forums? I would love to see good physics. Physics are a must. Cause' without physics, it just 'aint physical!

Well, that's mottolicious...

Anyway, I would really love to see some id guys here...too bad this isn't the Shack or Slashdot.

That would be cool, if not extremely realistic. It would be a far cry from the original Doom, where you would shoot a guy's leg and he'd die. I wanna see the undead fucker's leg blow off! Hell, for that matter, he could crawl towards you in a fit of resiliency and desperation. Those demons just don't quit!

Yeah, the leg shot thing occured to me when I started this thread. Hitman has the one shot to the head kill rule but I think the legs and arms are all considered "body" shots. I agree, there should be obvious weak spots (at the joints) where appendages could be blown off. The problem with this I assume is its affect on gameplay. And it would be pretty unfair if your appendages can't get blown off but theirs can.

I think it would give too much of a terminator type feel to you player character. Unphased by damage location or momentum conservation... he would seem pretty damn tough. I think it's scarier if you feel a little more vulnerable.

Although in Doom, guts were flying everywhere and if you shoot those pink 2 legged things with a double-barrelled shotgun, the sprites would show that a pretty nasty sized chunk of meat had been blown out of the thing's face. But losing body parts and still being alive is different.

Actually, fuck that unfairness... I think it would be so cool to blow an Imps leg off, have it fall to the ground in a pool of its blood with its arms thrashing and the thing screaming at you and still shooting fireballs. The fact that a monster could still use its weapon while disabled would be key... this way you can't just get a cheap kill all the time by running through the entire game always targeting knees. Plus it would be cool to have to run over to a disabled, thrashing imp on the floor and empty your magazine close range into his chest. Down motherfucker!!

:)) I can't wait. And I know, Id people probably never read this stuff but my zeal warranted a cry to the top.

I think it would be so cool to blow an Imps leg off, have it fall to the ground in a pool of its blood with its arms thrashing and the thing screaming at you and still shooting fireballs.

As cool as that would be ( I would really love to see it), I don't think it will happen considering the complexity of the new enemy models. But who knows, I could be wrong.

I disagree. I think monsters could and should have a whole set of "disabled behaviors." These wouldn't be any more complex than their regular stalking, attacking, walking, chillin out, dying behaviors.

This whole "thrashing, screaming at you while still shooting fireballs" things shouldn't be anymore CPU intensive or hard to program than anything else! I would love to see that.

And if monsters would step up their "aggression rating" when around a wounded monster that would be even cooler. Ya know, they get all pissed off seeing one of their bros all fucked up and screaming on the ground and that affects the their AI code making them less likely to flee. And it would be cool if other monsters were more likely to flee under the same circumstance. I definately want to see personality in these beasts.

And definately variations in personality per species. These should correspond to physical variation between monsters of the same species.

Damnit, I should be in charge of this game :)

You're going to email them? Can you do that with any chance of a reply? More power to you if you can.

I once wrote Id Software and got a response back in middle school. I settled and won a bet that they were Id, like the "Id and the Ego" popularized by Sigmund Freud and not letters as in I.D. software. Wow, back in those days I was trying to get Doom II warez from my friend's computer... how so many years can fly by when you're busy fragging :)