Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rrwoods

Large demos

So, I've got the COMPET-N MAX runs of Doom 2 and Plutonia, which are just under 2 and 3 hours in length, respectively. I'd love to see them, but I really, really don't want to sit for 2/3 hours in front of my computer getting nautious. I have PrBoom, so I can use the Pause key, but I'd also like to be able to replay sections/levels without having to start from the beginning. I was hoping for something like a splitting utility (yes, I've seen the LMP format specs and I realize how hard it would be from a coding perspective) or an lmp-to-avi solution. I used lmp2ss; however, the time between screenshots is much to large. I wouldn't mind an f-ing huge (up to 25 GB) avi, if that's what it comes to.

There's no need to split the files. Andrey's PrBoom (I think it is now called PrBoomPlus (?) ), has the ability to skip any desired time (parameter -skipsec xxx) or to skip a certain number of levels (parameter -warp xx).

I think you can find more in Source Ports forum, the thread "My PrBoom modification"

Yeah, Audrey's Prboom does nearly everything you need, but it doesn't implement rewind or replay features.

For that you can try VIDD, which is a Prboom plugin that converts demos to a format that can be rewinded. This makes the demos generally about ten times larger. (I can't see a link on that page btw, use this).

Don't know if you'll have much luck running it with the latest Prboom binaries though, it's a pretty old project...

Donce said:

PrBoomPlus ... has the ability to skip any desired time (parameter -skipsec xxx) or to skip a certain number of levels (parameter -warp xx).

Just to add to that, it also offers the capability to vary the playback speed in-game (1000% is a reasonable speed for fast-forward; default keys to control this are Num+, Num- and Num*), and to skip to the next level of a multi-level demo (Page Down by default).

The sourceforge page is here.

Ryback said:

Audrey's Prboom

rofl

Wow... Thank you guys for all the references, I'll defiintely be sure to check those out!

EDIT: Just got PrBoom Plus, and it's working great. I also like the K/I/S display at the bottom, extremely handy, plus it's got a much smoother frame rate.