Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom's #1

I wasn't even talking about the mainstream. I could care less about what reels run in the cinema. What I meant was retell the story however you want in machinima for Doom or whatever you like. Have fun, post it on the internet. Either way, Hollywood will keep churning out crap and there's not one thing you can do about it.

sargebaldy said:

The only way I'd find a Doom movie interesting was if it were so accurate to the games (Doom and Doom II) it was self-satirical and pointedly ridiculous. In particular a live action version of Map32 would be hilarious to watch.

And this is why many of us are glad that you do not run a film company.

The SuperFly said:

Will you forget about the movie's inclusion of your definition of Hell for a second? You write a pretty long winded flame about something you've never seen, and expect it to be accurate.

The film does include "Hell", just not a literal one; however, they do not discard the idea of a literal Hell at all. And an unexplored subplot of the ENTIRE movie is that human beings are evolved from some strange humanoid species they uncover on Mars that was affected by this "chromosome"....Where the chromosome came from is never explained, only that it was harvested by this race.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the story "The Call of Cthulhu", but it's message is that one day humanity will learn too much that they do not wish to know and will either destroy themselves outright, or fall back into a "safer" dark age....Now, just think for a second that if this other race did indeed discover a literal hell, and escaped to earth to start afresh, they would have hidden and lost all knowledge of their discovery. Humanity as we know it, in the film, is just rediscovering old news and in turn opening a gateway to hell.

Sounds thin? Very thin, even to me... but if you'd actually see the film it would make sense to you. Until then, do not talk trash about what kind of movie it is until you've paid your $4.50 to see it.

Perfect example of someone who did not really read my post. Congrats kid, you didn't understand half of what I told you. You must be really proud of yourself and your awe-inspiring post analysis, right?
I won't bother going all the points you missed, but I'd like to point one thing out:

I want: An otherworldly Hell which at least some of the characters explore.

Fact 1: Doom movie has no physically manifested Hell as in: another world of fire, brimstone and nightmares come alive.

Fact 2: Doom movie has no monsters conjure and throw fireballs.

Is it that hard to understand? Do I have to spoon-feed you with the obvious?

The SuperFly said:

The film does include "Hell", just not a literal one;

The game DOOM is literally--almost entirely--about HELL, so if there is no HELL then it isn't DOOM. I think that pretty much sums it up. ;-)

I think a very important thing you and several others aren't getting is that it was a *good* thing the game had a very simple plot, all it had was hell and demons. The movie has neither. All the studio had to do was make a movie about opening a portal and fighting the demons that came out. That's all. Everything else could have spooled up from there. The fact that they couldn't even get that small basic premise right is flat out pathetic.

I'm making a movie based on the bible. It's about space pirates who are looking for an asteriod made of crack-cocain while running from a super-intelligent race of chocolate filled 6 foot tall salamanders. Get it?

Sarge? Reaper? DESTROYER?!?! What kind of mental midget comes up with that shit outside of fanfics written by 12 year olds? Just sad.

The fact is DOOM could have been great. All the groundwork was there for something really amazing. Instead what did we get? Resident Evil 3.

Oh, and anyone who liked RE1 or 2 should be sterilized for the good of all mankind. :-p

Mancubus II said:

And this is why many of us are glad that you do not run a film company.

Yeah, god help us if a film company tried to do something different for a change. Let's just stick with the old tried and true "we're big tough men so let's go around with guns and kill bad things" until the end of time!

dsm said:

Perfect example of someone who did not really read my post. Congrats kid, you didn't understand half of what I told you. You must be really proud of yourself and your awe-inspiring post analysis, right?
I won't bother going all the points you missed, but I'd like to point one thing out:

I want: An otherworldly Hell which at least some of the characters explore.

Fact 1: Doom movie has no physically manifested Hell as in: another world of fire, brimstone and nightmares come alive.

Fact 2: Doom movie has no monsters conjure and throw fireballs.

Is it that hard to understand? Do I have to spoon-feed you with the obvious?

The lack of these things does not make it a bad movie, son.
My point was, you bash it for not having the things YOU want to see without even considering it might be a decent flick without them. On top of that, you bash it without having seen it, thus you truly have no knowledge of the material because you've never experienced it firsthand. Thus, you're tlaking out your fucking ass, boy.

Rellik said:

I'm making a movie based on the bible. It's about space pirates who are looking for an asteriod made of crack-cocain while running from a super-intelligent race of chocolate filled 6 foot tall salamanders. Get it?

ROFL! Very nice.

No, this movie does not have a literal Hell like the game, but it's actually a VERY small-scoped movie. Like I've said in other posts, I believe the true origns of this "24th chromosome set" rest in a background of literal Hell that was never explored by the film itself....Just like they never dealt with the HUGE fact that this alien species from Mars is the ancestor of the human race as we know it.

So this ancient people bioengineered a serum...How? From WHERE?

Oh, something else to throw out there....

I heard a lot of smack talk about the marines being tough guy perverts, etc...I dunno how many infantry squads you've been a part of, but this is pretty accurate.

It's true, no Marine would be allowed to start telling women they need to strip search them... but most of the chatter you get is about bitches and hoes and who fucked who and when's the next dogpile.

dsm said:

monic, supernatural stuff. In fact, I'm so in to that part and considering it so much the core of Doom that I even tend to go ballistic if other people/fans suggest otherwise ("The demons are really aliens" - yeah right, that's why there's satanic references everywhere in the game and that's why the text sequences frequently mentions "Hell" and "Demons", oh I'm convinced all right - not!).
Without Hell or truly supernatural, mythical Hell demons, it just isn't Doom to me.

I read a review when Doom came out where the reviewer repeatedely said the Demons were Aliens. It was like "...You're fighting hordes of aliens who for some reason look like demons from the middle ages." How can people be so stupid to really think they're aliens? All the pentagrams and upside down crosses and horns on the goddamn demons didn't tip you off?

If the Doom movie doesn't include a real literal hell with demons then it doesn't have anything to do with Doom.

I will defintely not watch this in cinemas unless someone pays for me and even then I'd have to think about.

It really looks like a bad Aliens / Resident Evil clone and I loathed the RE movie.

SuperFly said:

My point was, you bash it for not having the things YOU want to see without even considering it might be a decent flick without them. On top of that, you bash it without having seen it, thus you truly have no knowledge of the material because you've never experienced it firsthand. Thus, you're tlaking out your fucking ass, boy.

Another completely irrelevant rant.

Cut the 'son' and 'boy' crap. Makes you sound even more retarded than you really are.

YES WE WANT TO SEE HELL! WHY? BECAUSE THE FUCKING TITLE SAYS "DOOM"!

And when there is no hell in something that uses the name 'Doom' then it can't be a decent flick. End of story.

The SuperFly said:

"Son"? You'll get eaten alive around here for trying to substitute authoritativeness for a good argument.

My point was, you bash it for not having the things YOU want to see

That's the way the world works.

without even considering it might be a decent flick without them. On top of that, you bash it without having seen it,

The movie doesn't have what we want it to have (which is what? all together now...). That's why we don't like it, and that's why we're not allowing the studio to profit from it.

Personally for me, I sure as hell won't think it's "spectacular", even if I do look at it as if it doesn't matter what the movie's about. Probably not even "great", as action movies all look the same to me. I already know the plot, and I'm sure there won't be any hidden beauty that can't be expressed in a review ("oh my lord, they never told me how SHINY those metal walls are!" *orgasm*). At best, it would get an "OK". I'm not going to see, and certainly am not going to be impartial to, an OK movie that doesn't deliver on a simple premise.

Maybe you could be so kind as to tell us exactly what it is about the many reviews on the internet that are glaringly misleading or deceptive; because, as you should be aware, everything we read in the reviews encompasses all of what we don't want to see. Go ahead. Take one example from a review-- any review-- and educate us all.

thus you truly have no knowledge of the material because you've never experienced it firsthand. Thus, you're tlaking out your fucking ass, boy.

Tlak is cheap.

This thread = :(

SuperFly, you might be a little better at expressing your opinions without all the condesending bullshit and such. As it is, it looks like you're on a one-way trip to ban'd camp. While I can see your point, you still end up looking like a huge asshole making it.

It's not too hard to see both sides of this argument: there's the people who simply enjoy the movie just for what it is in one camp, and the other is full of people annoyed by the abandonment of all things Doom. These are both reasonable points, but you've got to understand that your positions are regarding two seperate aspects of the movie, and you're each attacking a different point:

-

"The Doom movie sucks! You're wrong, bitch...I know it's the same Hollywood shit in a different Hollywood toilet; it isn't Doom, and it's not worth my money."

"The Doom movie is definitely worth seeing! You're wrong because you don't have the personal experience of seeing it to be able to claim it sucks....boy."

-

See the difference? It's not as though you can really settle anything if you keep flaming each other over your respective opinions. Let's just agree that the Doom movie might be good in it's on right, but it ain't the Doom we all grew up on.

Numbermind said:

"Son"? You'll get eaten alive around here for trying to substitute authoritativeness for a good argument.

Not by you, at any rate.

Numbermind said:

...and that's why we're not allowing the studio to profit from it.

Making number one even once at the box office pretty much guarantees a sequel. Even if they don't make their 70mil in the US, there's international sales and then the home entertainment market to pretty much guarantee they'll double their money.

And making a profit isn't even necessary to give a greenlight, as all they need is to make enough back to convince themselves that there's a chance for bigger profit from a sequel.

Numbermind said:

Personally for me, I sure as hell won't think it's "spectacular", even if I do look at it as if it doesn't matter what the movie's about.

It's not spectacular, but it sure isn't a pile of crap like you're trying to make it out to be. DOOM is just as much about "boo scary" moments as it is about tense, edge of your seat action.

This film delivers on these in boatloads.

One of the best "DOOM" moments I've had was playing the old Aliens TC. You don't need to have Hell to get the DOOM feeling out of something. If your whole love of DOOM is seeing a bunch of pentagrams everywhere, I think you're missing a big part of it.

Sure, I would have LOVED the movie if it had stayed more true to the source material, but as it goes, they did a damn good job on what direction they did go with. I can also try and point out that the source of the mutations is not fully explored, and could very well be from a literal Hell you all are salivating for... Makes a perfect setup to go into for a sequel. But these points seem to fall on deaf ears.

Numbermind said:

Maybe you could be so kind as to tell us exactly what it is about the many reviews ...

I don't read reviews, I prefer to think for myself.

Numbermind said:

Tlak is cheap.

So is taking shots at typos.

Belial said:

YES WE WANT TO SEE HELL! WHY? BECAUSE THE FUCKING TITLE SAYS "DOOM"!

Cry.

Belial said:

And when there is no hell in something that uses the name 'Doom' then it can't be a decent flick. End of story.

Wrong.

TheHighestTree said:

It's not too hard to see both sides of this argument: there's the people who simply enjoy the movie just for what it is in one camp, and the other is full of people annoyed by the abandonment of all things Doom.

I disagree. It may abandon (or just not present, as it's never explored) the aspect of Hell being responsible for the events in the film; but it certainly does NOT abandon the general feeling of the game experience.

The origins of the antagonists are not all that makes DOOM what it is. DOOM is just as much about clausterphobic, cramped corridor shootouts and jumping at whatever decides to come around the next corner at you.

The movie may not be everything it could have been, but it certainly is worth at least one trip to the cinema to make your own opinions rather than basing your ideas off of what someone else thought of it.

Personally, I've seen it three times and plan to see it at least 3 more.

udderdude said:

While I can see your point, you still end up looking like a huge asshole making it.

If the shoe fits, right?

Rellik said:

Sarge? Reaper? DESTROYER?!?! What kind of mental midget comes up with that shit outside of fanfics written by 12 year olds? Just sad.

About every DOOM player with a handle. ;)

Mewse? SuperFly? BLOODSHEDDER?!?!

You're all wrooooooooooooooooooooong... :) Dunno why, but I thought I would disagree with everyone, just to try not to do what everone else does. You all think you can either love the movie, or hate it. Why? Isn't it possible to like a movie for what it is, but dislike it for not beeing what you wanted it to be? I mean god, you sound like twelveyear olds. You're fighting and argumenting and probably screaming in rage about... what? A MOVIE...!? For crying out loud, grow up? IT'S JUST A MOVIE, IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD! Why fight about it? Just accept that some may like it, and some may not like it? And how can you hate a movie anyway? It's just a fucking movie! Sure, you can dislike it, but hate it? Isn't that just a little naive? It's not like people will stop playing doom. And Doom isn't really attracting that many new players, so it won't ruin the game you love. Hahaha I'm laughing as I'm writing this... I'm not upset, just tryin to talk some sense into you guys ^^

Ever since the idea for this movie was voiced publicly I have been against it, the thing about Doom for me is that it is sort of like being in a movie but being able to change the script as we play. If I want a doom movie I will save a demo to disk. Deathmatching is what makes Doom brilliant, for me its still the best fun possible on a PC despite all the fancy graphics and tricks of the recent FPS games, for sheer fun Doom is still top dog.

Im not against a decent sci-fi/horror action movie, I love them, Aliens, Event Horizon, uhm ... well I cant think of any others right now but just as I dont buy games based on movies or tv shows because they are invariably crap so I also refuse to pay good money to suffer crappy movies based on computer games.

Someone on here is a very silly Fanboy and is also full of bullshit or needs therapy if he really does intend to pay to take himself and lots of others to see that crap until the end of its run.

mystic said:

Someone on here is a very silly Fanboy and is also full of bullshit or needs therapy...

Someone on here lacks balls.

mystic said:

...if he really does intend to pay to take himself and lots of others to see that crap until the end of its run.

9 ticket sales for the DOOM movie to date, sucker! Ha!

I don't know why Cyb bothered listing the IMDb score, since people who watch a movie earlier tend to be the more maniacal type who wanted to see it while it was still "hot", even if meant having to deal with large lines. Now that some of the people who only had a passing interest in it have watched it it's down to 5.5, and I'm sure that'll continue to drop for some time.

I love how it (SuperFly's posts in this thread) starts out like this:

The SuperFly said:

Listen, you are all being WAY too hard on this film.

And has more or less, ended like this:

The SuperFly said:

Because most of us aren't jewish millionaires who own Hollywood. That ship has sailed a long time ago.

So, by starting from square one:

The SuperFly said:

Listen, you are all being WAY too hard on this film. For those of you who haven't seen it and talk about how terrible it is, see it first, then you may talk trash. For those of you who HAVE seen it and didn't like it, you have the right to talk smack, but I hope you're not just doing it to go along with everyone else.

Well, obviously we can't say anything that differs from your OPINION, why? Because it evolves into something like this:

The SuperFly said:

If you haven't even given it a go in the theater, you cannot talk shit from a review or a novelization. Nuff said. Shut your face and stop trying to discuss things you have no knowledge of, kid.

I honestly don't see why you care, just because people read reviews from other critics (Not just yourself, Ebert) and voice their opinions based on what they've read, doesn't mean you call them kid, son or boy. That's like saying go play the game instead of reading reviews on it. Woe to those who cross the master Critic by the name of SuperFly.

The SuperFly said:

If you guys were expecting Saving Private Ryan with Demons, I've got a newsflash for you: The original games had NO PLOT at all...Everything you loved about the game was in your head. You were the marine and you were making that marine's story as you went along.

There were text screens weren't there? I guess I just imagined that, or you just never got skilled enough to beat the later levels to get them. Just a wild guess. Unless you mean an entire full-blown story. gb2/doom3

The SuperFly said:

Fair enough, no one can force you to see the movie.

Rofl! See, case in point. You tell us not to talk shit about (Read: Differ our opinions from yours) the movie from reviews, but then you tell us no one's forcing us to see the movie? What kind of logic is this?

The SuperFly said:

I saw a post somewhere about how they didn't even dress like marines, etc. The only thing that wasn't accurate about their gear was that they didn't have helmets and NVG's, otherwise, they had a very plausible wardrobe (I should know, I did it for 4 years).

You mean, you've been a marine or served in the military for 4 years? And here I thought you were just some know-it-all 14 year old lectureing people about a movie. My bad. I thought my elders were always mature on the internet, so much for my perfect world. :'(

The SuperFly said:

You could try to set up your own company, make bajillions upon momillions of dollars like George Lucas, and then make a "proper" DOOM movie independantly.

You talking about it being proper, and you tell us about how great it is, how much you want another one, and tell us not to talk shit about it, right? I somehow feel i'm missing a major point here.

The SuperFly said:

I heard a lot of smack talk about the marines being tough guy perverts, etc...I dunno how many infantry squads you've been a part of [...]

Well, how many have YOU been part of? I'm sure you can enlighten a few mislead teenagers instead of calling us kid, boy and son and hurting our little feelings. :(

The SuperFly said:

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the story "The Call of Cthulhu", but it's message is that one day humanity will learn too much that they do not wish to know and will either destroy themselves outright [...]

In your case, it may be learning to little. I have actually seen the movie, and I thought it was moderately good, but could have been far more improved. That doesn't mean I preach to everyone to go see it or stfu. Thank you, and rock on. :)

Where to begin...

DD_133 said:

I honestly don't see why you care, just because people read reviews from other critics (Not just yourself, Ebert) and voice their opinions based on what they've read, doesn't mean you call them kid, son or boy.

Because they don't have the experience (of seeing the film) to formulate an opinion. I'm not bashing people who say "DOOM needs demons!", I'm bashing people who go into details of the film (poor acting, specific scenes, etc) without having seen it. It's called them talking out of their ass about a film which was rather quite enjoyable, regardless of it's faithfulness to the source material.

And that comment about Jewish millionaires was a joke and a part of a completely different discussion, FYI.

DD_133 said:

That's like saying go play the game instead of reading reviews on it.

Yeah, silly me and my idea that people should formulate thier own thoughts about things instead of following blindly like sheep...What a concept!

DD_133 said:

There were text screens weren't there? I guess I just imagined that, or you just never got skilled enough to beat the later levels to get them

Hahahahahaha. "r33t gam0r $hit t4lk"

DD_133 said:

And here I thought you were just some know-it-all 14 year old lectureing people about a movie.

A 14-year-old that's been playing DOOM since Shareware release would have started when he was about...3 or 4 right?

You've obviously never met me or have any idea who I am, my friend. Maybe research some DOOM community history after finishing 'Resurrection of Evil' on your XBox or something....Might be good for you to learn what QS/STRAIN/Frad was and who some of your community elders are.

DD_133 said:

You mean, you've been a marine or served in the military for 4 years?

Marine Corps Infantryman, served 4 years with 3/3 and 1/3, as well as the 31st MEU under command elements 1/1 and 1/7 in Falluja, Iraq from October 2004 to February 2005. Fully Honorable discharge with over 2 1/2 years as a Corporal (NCO rank for any Army boys, we don't have any Non-NCO E-4's).

DD_133 said:

Well, how many have YOU been part of?

About 7-9 counting SOI, command changeovers, and rearranging due to heavy casualties.

DD_133 said:

I'm sure you can enlighten a few mislead teenagers instead of calling us kid, boy and son and hurting our little feelings. :(

Sure. Stay in school.

DD_133 said:

I have actually seen the movie, and I thought it was moderately good, but could have been far more improved.

Like I said, not the perfect DOOM movie, but still not not a bad DOOM movie at all. I think you missed the point here...If you're going to try and tell someone who's experienced something how it should have been, you HAVE TO experience it for yourself first. Or else, your opinion has no validation.

Mutant humans = Bad doom movie. Yes I have seen it. Creatures of unknown origin = Good doom movie. When it was shown what the creatures were, it just started to suck.