Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
insertwackynamehere

More Neurotica

Some of you may remember my thread a while back about various neurotic tendecies/disorders you may have. Well now, alongside Panic Disorder, Anxiety, Obsessive-Compulsivness and minor variations of others, I have realized after reading this Wikipedia article I am also most likely have a Depersonalization disorder. There have been various times in my life where I felt like I am in a dream, and everything is hazy and disconnected. "Okay" i thought, "probably everyone feels this way, and I always assumed it was part of my panic disorder." however i wasnt so sure, I thought I might have had it. Then I read that people look into mirrors and recognize the person but dont feel connected. I've had feelings like that since I was young, and everytime I tried to talk to someone about it, assuming everyone felt that way, people just were like "...". I assumed it was just tiredness or something, but I'm really happy to find out what this is, its been bothering me for a bit.

Anyway, my question is, do you experience this feeling ever? I really want to see if anyone can relate to what I'm talking about.

I know what that is and have seen it with a friend when we would drop acid or get high (many years ago -up to late teens) he would stare at himself in a mirror and cop a strange smile and say "look, its so fake" and i was like "what the hell is he talking about?" he would never smile like that normaly so i figured he was making that expression in the mirror that he also knew wasnt normal of himself of making. god only knows, but it does remind me of it from that wikipedia discription. whenever i feel anxiety or depression it's a result of life being a little too much of a reality and things are very real and basicly suck. i think boredom and self boundaries play a role in depresison, maybe anxiety by the "shock" of being placed in the moment (the moment of suck that is)

Doctors must love you whacky. I have a friend that constantly self-diagnoses herself based off stuff she reads on the internet. She stopped going to the doctor because they couldn't find anything wrong (she didn't believe them).

You should see a doctor immediately. You may be suffering from hypochondria.

No I cant really remember ever feeling anything like that per se. Maybe sme senses of detatchment from a situation but they were fleeting.

Amaster said:

You should see a doctor immediately. You may be suffering from hypochondria.

haha

I feel it after reading books, watching tv, playing computor games and talking here. It's only a passing thing though. Just do what I do;

remember that you are real, remember that everyone around you has feelings, remember that your senses are proof you are real (slap your face a bit, that pain you feel - it's called reality), ignore the voices and hallucinations and remember the good and bad times you have had - they are all real

Thats just how I plough on. Just never question yourself and build something with lego . You created that small, penis shaped building with a cowboy and pirate fixing a landrover on the bell, it is real, or you could write something. The fact you are thinking makes you real.

So do I get money for my priceless advice?

heh thanks Janderson

Also, none of you must have ever been a 5th grader who for two days thought that if he touched people they would dissapear and thought he was going crazy and couldnt take it and on the second day ran too the office crying broken down from the irrational primal fear he was experiencing.

And none of you obviously were a 7th grader who for a couple of days felt disconnected from reality and in a dream

And none of you obviously went for over a month in 8th grade not being able to swallow food without concentrating because your anxiety was so bad that everytime you tried to swallow, you would close your own throat no matter how hungry you were (This one was actually worthy of a shrink)

Okay, not everyone, but the people who assumed I was just paranoid :P

do you realize that when you talk about personal problems you make people feel incredibly awkward? As a man, all personal feelings and emotions should be repressed!

Sounds unusual for a young child to be experiencing such intense panic disorders. you must have experienced some trauma(tic) event (maybe something your blocking out) that would explain this irrational behavior.

Maybe there's something inside screaming to be let out. Your life completely starts to crumble after holding something serious in for to long.

Janderson said:

remember the good and bad times you have had - they are all real

heh Not if those "times" were hallucinated. Although then one could say they are sorta real. But anxiety and dissociative disorders don't cause hallucinations anyway.

As for Wacky, you need to realize that you are not alone in your suffering. A great many people spend countless hours scouring the internet looking for mental disorders to self diagnose as such to lay blame on real or percieved personal problems. Many do this to reinforce a personal conviction that something is wrong in a bid for attention and/or sympathy.

DSM-VI criterion in this respect can be all too vague:

1. Persistent, recurring feeling detached from one’s mental processes or body; as if an observer
2. During depersonalization, reality testing intact
3. Depersonalization causes significant distress, and impairment in social, occupational, other functioning
4. Depersonalization not related to another disorder, substance abuse, or general medical condition

And it's not like someone who desires a mental disorder or three of their very own can't lie about the symptoms...

well I know I'm not a chronic derealizer, I've read about real ones, but its a side effect from panic attacks that I've had (this is possible), and I have been to various doctors and my panic disorder is confirmed. I was just wondering if this ever happened to anyone else :P I wasnt claiming I had a true disorder, just that I've experienced it before either randomly or as a symptom of a panic attack (like in 7th grade).

Quast said:

But anxiety and dissociative disorders don't cause hallucinations anyway.

... hm, maybe I'm just tired then.

A great many people spend countless hours scouring the internet looking for mental disorders to self diagnose as such to lay blame on real or percieved personal problems.

I can tell you many a tale my friend. When I was young I went through a phase and believed I had; Meningitis, schitzophrenia, incubus syndrome, paranoia, almost every form of cancer, AIDS, (yea, I'm a virgin and I've never touched needles...c'ept vaccines and boosters of course) and some stomache disease.

[ominous]Well I've learned in the Omani desert, there are worse ways to suffer.[/ominous]

I was recently diagnosed with asthma in December '04. For the first 3 months or so on inhalers I seemed to have it under control. I had not yet had a serious asthma attack. The next three months I would get the tightening a little more frequently, and it felt like the inhalers really weren't helping. On the last friday of June I was not feeling particularly well in the lungs, so for some reason I decided to visit webmd to read more about its real symptoms and more information in general. After reading a few miscellaneous paragraphs I began to feel a tightening up and loss of breath. The information I was reading triggered some anxiety and I lost control of it. I ended up passing out and falling out of my chair onto the floor. I was probably out for about 15 seconds while on the floor. I woke up and could not do so much as lay on my bed and stare straight up for about an hour.

I can no longer physically read webmd or any other self-diagnosing website.

mallis said:

I think you need to get a personality before you can have a personality disorder.

Win.

(16 free internets)