Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

Simplicity Released

Simplicity has been released. For those who might be unsure as to what Simplicity is, it is a megawad for Doom 2, using the ZDoom engine. Head to the Simplicity site for the download, and general project information. Enjoy. :)

sp_simp.zip 7MB
sp_simp.txt

Ah yes, this is what I've been looking for. Excellent job!
It could use a little less detail :p

Some of the traps are a bit harsh (too many where you basically get stuck in one spot, kinda annoying). Other than that, pretty good so far ;)

I get this in the logs, is it normal?

+Power Core

+Both sky textures must be the same height.-

+Eternal Void

Unknown texture: "REDSKY"

+In the Thick of It

Music "D_KEKE" not found

+Credits

game saved.
Music "D_KEKE" not found

All error messages are non-critical. But they should still be fixed.

The 'both sky textures' message is a ZDoom bug.

In map08, the three doors in front of the yellow key show “P_StartScript: Unknown script 101” when I try to open them (before grabbing the key).

EDIT: Other bugs (read the output log)

+Refinery

Unknown texture: "CONCRT21"
Unknown texture: "BRKBRN01"
Unknown texture: "BANR07"
Unknown texture: "ALICAV01"
Unknown texture: "BRKHEX08"

+Manufacturing Plant

Unknown texture: "TILE1100"
Unknown texture: "TILETX07"
Unknown texture: "TILE7CFA"
Unknown texture: "FTILE7BE"
Unknown texture: "TILETX03"
Unknown texture: "TILETX03"

The texture errors are not that important. There aren't any visible missing textures, and I knew about the errors, but I was just too lazy to find and fix the problem. :P

In map08, the three doors in front of the yellow key show “P_StartScript: Unknown script 101” when I try to open them (before grabbing the key).

Huh, that's strange. Stupid error, and will probably be fixed. Those lines shouldn't be doing anything at all. :P

Simplicity is simply awesome.
Exceptionaly good usage of standard Doom textures mixed with NiGHTMARE's 5th episode set and others, superb placement of monsters and items, 20 levels of fast paced action and original layout. Plus music and the secret level (kekekekeke)
definitely worth 5/5

Simply excellent. A tour de force, as well as a shining example of how ZDoom can enhance Doom gameplay while still playing and feeling like classic Doom.

I like the fact that you threw some new stuff in (i.e. New monsters/bosses). Of course, I'm just going off what I see on the site, gotta wait till the weekend till I can try it out, but I have to say im unnaturally psyched.

If your previous work is any judge of this project (which...i don't see why it wouldn't be), I don't think im going to be dissapointed, especially by the feedback here and at zdoom.org.

Really great agent spork. I wish I could check out more wads like this one (specialy those days:/)

Only gotten to the first couple of levels, but I like how you aren't throwing ammo and health around like nobodies business.

Yea, the games a slugfest, but I like to use my brain somewhat, props man.

Fantastic. Episode 1 was pure classic Doom fun. Just enough ZDoom features to enhance the gameplay, but not enough to make it stop feeling like Doom.

I recognized most of the music you used, but where are the songs in map08, 09, and 13 from?

Just finished playing through it and enjoyed it a lot. Probably the most enjoyable wad I've played since Scythe2. The first 5 or so maps are probably the worst in the wad in my opinion, but it gets better after them. I liked the subtle use of zdoom features, especially the decorate monsters, without going overboard just for the sake of it.

Personally I would have liked to have seen some slightly less rigidly linear maps, but the action always flows excellently. I was glad to see there weren't that many overly tight Sporky traps :oP

The lack of secrets in most maps seemed a bit odd to me too, and apart from 5 or so maps, the entire wad seems to be completely devoid of armor. I don't remember picking up anything but one green armour in episode 1, and I don't ever remember seeing any small health/armor bonuses.

And one thing about map 19, where's the clue to the yellow key puzzle? I just did it by trial and error, but guessed I missed something.

Anyway, I think it's turned out really well, and one of my top 5 releases of the year so far.

The Flange Peddler said:

The first 5 or so maps are probably the worst in the wad in my opinion, but it gets better after them.

That's understandable, and I'd have to agree for the most part. The first five maps are the leftovers from when the project used to be "make 32 short maps in a couple of hours' time".. so they are obviously not quite as good as some of the later maps. I still like them though, just not as much as the others.

Personally I would have liked to have seen some slightly less rigidly linear maps, but the action always flows excellently. I was glad to see there weren't that many overly tight Sporky traps :oP

Well, there were a couple of maps where I tried to do the nonlinear thing a bit.. I can't really say I'm very good at doing it. As far as the tight traps go, it is something I think I've improved upon over the last couple of years. Don't expect to see many more extremely cramped hell knight battles from now on. :P

The lack of secrets in most maps seemed a bit odd to me too, and apart from 5 or so maps, the entire wad seems to be completely devoid of armor. I don't remember picking up anything but one green armour in episode 1, and I don't ever remember seeing any small health/armor bonuses.

For some reason, adding secrets is always something that flies completely over my head. I don't put much thought into the secrets, or I completely forget to add them at all. The same goes for armor. Don't ask me why I never add armor.. I don't even know. :P

And one thing about map 19, where's the clue to the yellow key puzzle? I just did it by trial and error, but guessed I missed something.

Well, I suppose it is just a bit obscure.. but if you pay attention to all of the torches in and around that room, you'll notice that they're all blue, so as to indicate that you need to use the blue switches. I probably could have done a little bit more, although I really am not sure exactly what I would do.[/B][/quote]

You're a wizard Sporky. :D

You know it. :D

sOME OF THE BEST PLAY THAT I HAVE EVER HAD! While i don't beleive that the name simplicity exactlies fits the design, the maps have great architecture. the bosses are so much fun and I believ that ALL should download and play this wad!

I quit half way through the second level.

- having a hell knight appear in front of my face and tear off 30% health = not fun
- having to reload 5 times to successfully survive a close encounters revenant attack with only a pump action and no armour = not fun
- being blind sided by two chaingunners from different angles in a confined space with no cover with 69% health and no armour = not fun

Good level design spork, but having to constantly "rehearse" fights by reloading is, in my opinion, a sign of sub-standard gameplay design. I know some people are OK with it, in the Doom community especially, but it is just not my cup of tea.

Lutrov71 said:

- sucking at doom = not fun

He's right though. There are far too many traps that are too lethal. Some of the monsters appear directly in front of you without any chance to evade - and if you manage there's often another one right behind you. Traps are fine if they can be survived but the vast majority here are utterly deadly unless you know they are there.

I found the second episode even more tiresome. Being surrounded by 4 or more Revenants requires more luck than skill to survive - and it happened in nearly every level. The only way I could think of to make the second episode enjoyable was to make the Revenant's missile non-homing.