Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

Simplicity Released

Yeah, my traps can be quite unfair sometimes. It is definitely something I need to work on in the future..

Spork, I heart your traps. They kill me, but damn they're clever. This is the kind of crap I'd use if I were better at mapping. Speaking of...*tries to snap out of lazy spell in making E1M2 of his Episode*

There is just one thing I hated: running to catch this f***ing red keycard (and maybe those incredibly tough bosses).
All the rest is awesome.

Wow these peolpe like to complain a lot or they suck. The game was difficult on ultra violence and the traps were and clever, but i rarely was slaughtered by them. As a sidenote, how many hectabusses are there to be on UV. I only fought like one, or I must have evaded a lot of them.

shotgunmasacre2 said:

Wow these peolpe like to complain a lot or they suck. The game was difficult on ultra violence and the traps were and clever, but i rarely was slaughtered by them. As a sidenote, how many hectabusses are there to be on UV. I only fought like one, or I must have evaded a lot of them.

I wouldn't necessarily call it complaining. Most comments I've seen have been reasonable, and I would have to agree with a lot of the critique I've received.

Don't get me wrong - surprise attacks can be great fun. But it's a technique that needs to be used with great care. I loved Doom 3 for precisely that reason. But there's a difference between a Doom 3 imp leaping at you from behind a door, surprising the hell out of you but ultimately doing very little damage until you can get your buckshot into them, and something as powerful as a Revenant popping up two inches from your nose when you have only a shotgun, no armour and have to do that annoying "dance" where you try and make him punch, then step back from the punch, shoot and get in close and try and trigger another punch instead of a head on rocket hit.

The Revenant trap would've worked a treat with better equipment to deal with it. The chaingun would be my pick - it stops him shooting but there's always the risk he'll break out of it and nail you. The right combo of fair and tension. Plasma gun is too powerful and generally carves Revenants up. Good for dealing with them en masse and/or in an open space, but not ideal when you want to surprise the player. Even the side-by-side shotty would've been cool - two shots with a couple of quick side steps would've done the deed and got the player's blood pumping nicely.

And lutrov - there's a big difference between sucking at Doom and simply not liking a particular gameplay technique. I didn't quit because I found it too hard, I quit because I was not enjoying it. Did I say "Simplicity sux lol11211!!" No. Did I say "omg sprok you sux!". No. Maybe it's your idea of enjoyment. That's fine. But it's not mine. So unless you can contribute something constructive please kindly shut the fuck up and keep your ill-informed conjecture about my skill (hint: I've been playing since 1994) out of this discussion. It's irrelevant.

I don't care what anyone says the wad is a classic. The gameplay will keep you on the edge for hours. This wad gives advanced players the challenge that they need. I have to agree with thedarkarchon, it takes some balls to admit your flaws, and I have respect for that:)

I agree...but this can't be that hard, as I'm toughing my way through it, and I'm hardly "advanced". I find it really tough, however.

-_DLD_- said:

I agree...but this can't be that hard, as I'm toughing my way through it, and I'm hardly "advanced". I find it really tough, however.

Ditto.

JoelMurdoch said:

And lutrov - there's a big difference between sucking at Doom and simply not liking a particular gameplay technique. I didn't quit because I found it too hard, I quit because I was not enjoying it. Did I say "Simplicity sux lol11211!!" No. Did I say "omg sprok you sux!". No. Maybe it's your idea of enjoyment. That's fine. But it's not mine. So unless you can contribute something constructive please kindly shut the fuck up and keep your ill-informed conjecture about my skill (hint: I've been playing since 1994) out of this discussion. It's irrelevant.

You played less than 2 out of 20 levels and are judging the whole project on them. Could Agent Spork have changed gameplay styles in all those maps? Maybe if you didn't like the first 1 and a half maps you could have gone and played the second episode which could have been different to the first.

The maps really pick up after the first few, which Spork made in something like 2 hours a piece. He's a master mapper, and really gave his levels a DooM 64/Quake feel.

Lutrov71 said:

You played less than 2 out of 20 levels and are judging the whole project on them. Could Agent Spork have changed gameplay styles in all those maps? Maybe if you didn't like the first 1 and a half maps you could have gone and played the second episode which could have been different to the first.

Maybe you have nothing better to do than waste time playing twenty maps in the hope you might like some of them, but I do.

Graf Zahl said:

I found the second episode even more tiresome.

Sorry lutrov, but I'll pass.

Yes, but he said that after you made your comments.
It doesn't really matter, I just think it'd be smarter if you completed more than a twentieth of a megawad before you claim how unfun the whole wad is.
You can play more of it now and say that you don't like it and that's fine, but claiming that it isn't fun when you have only completed 1 level isn't very, uh, constructive..

JoelMurdoch said:

Maybe you have nothing better to do than waste time playing twenty maps in the hope you might like some of them, but I do.

If You're so busy sir, then why wasting time for playing the two maps You played at all?

You know, there's some truth in what he said. Mappers really need to make the greatest impression right at the start of the mapset. If they don't, talking won't help. People will get bored and won't play anymore.

But I myslef find the wad entertaining from A to Z...

I didn't mind the short maps at all...I thought they were really good...then was blown away by the rest of the maps.

i hate big non-linear maps with tones of monsters

which i guess makes me the extreme opposite of alot of doom players :p

Good lord. Someone doesn't like something that you like. It happens. It's life. GET OVER IT.

Back to you Spork because ironically, you of all people have handled my comments in the most mature manner. I'd be happy to beta test your next set of maps and help you work on your traps. Conceptually I really liked the traps in Simplicity. Maps without traps are dull, especially cause these days I can predict Doom's AI to the point where it's more like a dancing game than a fighting game ;) Most of them were just too harsh for my tastes and required too much "rehearsing".

This is a good wad, but it's kinda hard, especially in some level where there's two Archviles and only pillars to cover you (you can still get fired since sometimes you can't hide from both) and everytime they fired me and blew me up I DIED! EVERY FUCKING TIME! I was at 60 health too, and I know I survived blasts at that health. Also, the Hellknight-in-your-face is getting cliched already.

Those Archies pissed me off as well...it took me a long time to beat them.

I got this warm fuzzy feeling afterward, though.

JoelMurdoch said:

GET OVER IT.

I never defended this wad, which I didn't like. I like big nonlinear maps.

Plus, from my side it was a mere question because Your comment made no fucking sense.

I enjoy playing fun Doom levels. I enjoy doing fun things. So therefore I do not consider playing Doom a waste of time, in moderation.

What I do not consider fun is trying to play through a large set of maps where a clear pattern of gameplay techniques I do not enjoy is established early on. Therefore, not fun = waste of time.

Like all things, waste of time is a subjective, not objective thing, particular to one person. Clearer?